• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Reproduction & Original.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to go off target. But When I read the restrictions placed on our foreign friends it absolutely breaks my heart.
Agreed, it is a pity and I do feel for our shooting friends in England. Not to pile on , but where i live here in Texas I go out my shop door and have a 75 yard range. There was no shooting today it was raining.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Hi,
I live in the UK and following the ban on the ownership of breech loading pistols and revolvers here in 1997 I started shooting reproduction muzzle loading revolvers in order to continue with the sport I love.
I must admit that once I got myself organised, I really enjoyed shooting these old style revolvers and hardly missed my Smith & Wesson 686 from earlier days.
During the current Corona Virus lockdown I started spending too much time on the internet and often found myself browsing auctions and antique gun dealers looking at original examples of the Uberti reproduction Remington 1858 revolver I now shoot on a regular basis.
Although original firearms from this period are not cheap, I eventually found this Remington New Model Navy which was not only within my price range but was also described as being in usable condition.
Although I wasn't able to actually view the revolver before buying, I received lots of pictures and it was exactly in the condition described when it actually arrived. I have since had plenty of time to strip and thoroughly inspect the mechanics etc and have found the timing and lock-up to still be precise and surprisingly, there remains quite a lot of rifling remaining in the barrel for a gun made in 1864.
Although original firearms of this period can be bought without licensing in the UK, reproductions must be recorded on a Firearms Certificate and originals must also be entered on the certificate should you wish shoot them.
Outdoor ranges have just reopened again here in the UK and I'm now deciding if I should leave the old Remington in well earned retirement or start shooting it again albeit sparingly and with light loads.
What do you think ?View attachment 35384
I'd shoot it! The fact that it's a Navy model does increase the safety due to the smaller caliber (thicker cylinder walls, lower charge).

Blackpowder is kinder on the old guns, I've fired high powered "Unmentionables" with smokeless that are only 30 years newer than that Remington.

Back