• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Reproduction" cap tins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings All. During the past few years I've bought and traded revolvers and became interested in accessories for authentic looking cased sets. I've acquired a number of cap tins; a few are original 19th century tins, but most are newer or are reproductions of early tins. (See the photos below.) I began to look more closely at originals, mostly looking online, but I've also bought a couple of originals to put in my best cased sets such as my Colt 2nd Generation revolvers. Originals are expensive and I've been disappointed that nearly all the repops are simply mass-produced tins that are close enough in size that vendors just slap on a label and call them "reproductions." Here are the major differences that I've noticed between originals and reproductions, regardless of manufacturer:

OriginalReproduction
Lids are flat, or slightly domed, with or without embossed labeling (e.g. early "Eley London" lids)Lids are often recessed with a small shoulder around the edge
Lids are not rolledLids usually have rolled edge
Can sides are usually smooth, i.e. without a roll or stop for the lidCans usually have a roll or stop just below the edge of the lid

I finally figured that if all I was going to get in a "reproduction" tin was a loose approximation of the originals then I might as well make my own. I started with some CCI tins that I had and stripped the paint by burning it off with a propane torch. I first tried paint stripper but it's messy and much slower than the torch. Burning off the paint also gives the metal a warm, gray aged look, which I then enhance with cold bluing for a dark, matte finish. I copy photos of labels and adjust the size, color, etc. as needed, then I print them, cut them out, and glue them to the lid. So, for a negligible cost and about 10 minutes of my time I get a reproduction tin that, I think, is at least as authentic as those found on eBay, Etsy, or from the usual vendors of muzzleloading supplies.

Something you might notice on the original japanned Eley tin is that the can was made from a circular piece of tin that was cut and folded to form the shape and not pressed into shape. I may try that next. I would sure appreciate any hints y'all might share about achieving the japanned finish without too much cost or specialized techniques.

Attachments

• Tins-orignals.jpg
    Tins-orignals.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16
  • Tins_reproductions.jpg
    Tins_reproductions.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • CCI tin.JPG
    CCI tin.JPG
    932.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Paint stripping.jpg
    Paint stripping.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Aged and label.jpg
    Aged and label.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 0
  • My 'reproductions'.jpg
    My 'reproductions'.jpg
    911.8 KB · Views: 0
I collected up some originals over the years along with reproes when I couldn't find any new powder cans for my collection. One tin that stood out was a not overly old, a Giulio Fiocchi Lecco, made in Alton Il., filled in Italy. Has a small dent in the bottom edge but I bought it off Ebay for $3. The kicker? It was unopened with 250 caps still sealed in it! The guy never mentioned it was full. :cool:

I collected up some originals over the years along with reproes when I couldn't find any new powder cans for my collection. One tin that stood out was a not overly old, a Giulio Fiocchi Lecco, made in Alton Il., filled in Italy. Has a small dent in the bottom edge but I bought it off Ebay for $3. The kicker? It was unopened with 250 caps still sealed in it! The guy never mentioned it was full. :cool:
Did you try the caps?

Greetings All. During the past few years I've bought and traded revolvers and became interested in accessories for authentic looking cased sets. I've acquired a number of cap tins; a few are original 19th century tins, but most are newer or are reproductions of early tins. (See the photos below.) I began to look more closely at originals, mostly looking online, but I've also bought a couple of originals to put in my best cased sets such as my Colt 2nd Generation revolvers. Originals are expensive and I've been disappointed that nearly all the repops are simply mass-produced tins that are close enough in size that vendors just slap on a label and call them "reproductions." Here are the major differences that I've noticed between originals and reproductions, regardless of manufacturer:

OriginalReproduction
Lids are flat, or slightly domed, with or without embossed labeling (e.g. early "Eley London" lids)Lids are often recessed with a small shoulder around the edge
Can sides are usually smooth, i.e. without a roll or stop for the lidCans usually have a roll or stop just below the edge of the lid

I finally figured that if all I was going to get in a "reproduction" tin was a loose approximation of the originals then I might as well make my own. I started with some CCI tins that I had and stripped the paint by burning it off with a propane torch. I first tried paint stripper but it's messy and much slower than the torch. Burning off the paint also gives the metal a warm, gray aged look, which I then enhance with cold bluing for a dark, matte finish. I copy photos of labels and adjust the size, color, etc. as needed, then I print them, cut them out, and glue them to the lid. So, for a negligible cost and about 10 minutes of my time I get a reproduction tin that, I think, is at least as authentic as those found on eBay, Etsy, or from the usual vendors of muzzleloading supplies.

Something you might notice on the original japanned Eley tin is that the can was made from a circular piece of tin that was cut and folded to form the shape and not pressed into shape. I may try that next. I would sure appreciate any hints y'all might share about achieving the japanned finish without too much cost or specialized techniques.
Brilliant! Excellent work in replicating those old tins and labels!

I have looked at some of the "reproduction" percussion cap tins and I would agree with your assessment of them. Your tins with the paper labels are the best I have seen.

I would like to point out that Blockade Runner has two reproduction cap tins with embossed lids. One is a Hicks tin, for musket caps, and the other is an Eley (of) London tin. The Hicks tin has a soldered side seam and top and bottom joints, but the Eley tin is seamless, and about the size you would expect for sporting caps. Both are authentic. I have two of the Eley tins, but I haven't examined the Hicks tin. The ones I have are very nice quality, but finished bright. I need to burn them, as you did, to give them a little color. I was concerned they might warp from the heat, though. Has that been a problem with the ones you burned?

Here is a link to the Blockade Runner page showing the cap tins: Musket Accessories

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Brilliant! Excellent work in replicating those old tins and labels!

I have looked at some of the "reproduction" percussion cap tins and I would agree with your assessment of them. Your tins with the paper labels are the best I have seen.

I would like to point out that Blockade Runner has two reproduction cap tins with embossed lids. One is a Hicks tin, for musket caps, and the other is an Eley (of) London tin. The Hicks tin has a soldered side seam and top and bottom joints, but the Eley tin is seamless, and about the size you would expect for sporting caps. Both are authentic. I have two of the Eley tins, but I haven't examined the Hicks tin. The ones I have are very nice quality, but finished bright. I need to burn them, as you did, to give them a little color. I was concerned they might warp from the heat, though. Has that been a problem with the ones you burned?

Here is a link to the Blockade Runner page showing the cap tins: Musket Accessories

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Thanks for the compliment. To answer your question, I haven’t seen any warping from the heat. I’ve heated some areas cherry red and others just enough to burn off the paint and it seems to have made no difference. I’d say go ahead and do it. Thanks also for the link. I’ve been wanting to get some embossed Eley tins to experiment on the finish.

I have also bought antique tins with some caps still inside, even one 1870s period tin of 100 that is still sealed. I haven’t wanted to use them, though with current shortages that may change.

Here's another small tin project. I picked up an antique Winchester primer tin with the label nearly gone. I took the photo of a UMC green label, recolored it to match the red paper still on the sides of the tin, then glued it to the lid. This is just for my personal use and I'm not trying to deceive, just having fun with my own reproductions.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • UMC.jpg
    UMC.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 0
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Really nice work!!!

This is the one original can I have.

Attachments

• DCE2F5AB-7CE9-464B-9018-D20FFE05011B.jpeg
    DCE2F5AB-7CE9-464B-9018-D20FFE05011B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 45362D05-70BE-407E-B46A-58A84A1B581E.jpeg
    45362D05-70BE-407E-B46A-58A84A1B581E.jpeg
    625.2 KB · Views: 0
  • B63C2A9F-6865-47D0-8BA6-B8ABF5173A2A.jpeg
    B63C2A9F-6865-47D0-8BA6-B8ABF5173A2A.jpeg
    856.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 359FE828-8128-45F5-AEB9-CA1C61075A8A.jpeg
    359FE828-8128-45F5-AEB9-CA1C61075A8A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

OriginalReproduction

Interesting! I often copy things then adjust to size; old match labels, etc. The tips on the tins are very helpful! Good post.

I use a permanent spray adhesive on the new/repurposed tins. On the antique tin I didn't want to ruin what was left of the original label, so I just used a little glue stick. It should peel off easily if I ever want to "restore" the antique.

kh54: "japanning" varnishes like these modern formulas (still the same base minerals as days of old) that were used here in the US since the mid-1800s on shipboard metals, hand tools, wagon and carriage hardware and almost everything else metal or cast iron. Only the binders have been modernized for much easier and far less messy and malodorous applications (your nose and eyes will thank you versus old baked or fired method). An old toaster oven will suffice for these formulas versus a kiln. These formulas are used with great success in antique tool restoration and jewelry making.

Blog on the prep and use of RioGrande:
https://aplanelife.us/blogs/f/japanning-101-japanning-in-a-can-easy-peasy
Source for Old PontyPool and instructions:
http://libertyonthehudson.com/pontypool.html

1667423913773.png

I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread for this or not...

I have continued working on my cap tin labels and I would like to share with others. I was thinking of offering laser-printed copies of the sample sheet of labels shown below. (Your copy, of course, would be without the red stripes.) I first thought of asking some modest given price, but I don't like doing that - after all, this is still a hobby. On the other hand, this did take quite a bit of time. Soooooo, if there's enough interest, I can send copies to anyone who wants to make a "donation." In other words, you can send me a check for the amount that you think is appropriate and I'll send the copy via First Class Mail. It probably goes without saying that the honor system means no reproducing to give or sell to others. Like I said, this has been a significant effort.

BTW, I've seen mostly the green label Eley tin in original Colt cased sets (plus some other Eley tins such as the embossed tins) and the color I've given the Eley Remington tin is also based on an original Remington cased set. The F. Joyce color is a close approximation of an original, as is the green Union Metallic label. (Those two are from actual photographs.) The red UMC label is my invention, as is the smaller sizes in the top group to fit a couple of 1-1/4 inch diameter tins that I had.

Let me know what y'all think.

Attachments

• Percussion Cap Tin Labels - SAMPLE 110722.jpg
    Percussion Cap Tin Labels - SAMPLE 110722.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Good idea for those that want to take the short cut and save time. I've made up my some of own Whitworth and Colt stuff. A little bit of coffee carefully applied is great for antiquing the paper label to match an antique or aged tin. I use Elmer's glue, it will eventually loosen up but I'll probably be dead by then :thumb:

Back