• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

reproducing a lock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the overall dimensions of this lock still seem a bit large, you could ask them to do the same, but use their smaller, pistol size lock in place of the rifle size.

Rick
I may do that I have a Perdersoli kentucky pistol and the lock is very close to the same size as the one I need.

I may do that I have a Perdersoli kentucky pistol and the lock is very close to the same size as the one I need.
Yes. I would call them and ask. Probably easy for them to do the same with the pistol lock. Just no one has asked yet.

Let us know how it works out.

Rick

That lockplate of yours looks familiar. Care to show us a picture of the gun? I have had good luck replacing the lock on the japanese tower pistols with the mentioned chambers gunmakers lock. Key things to consider is where the sear sits (usually very clost to the mortise and pan as Im considering your vent is already drilled.

The gun is an old Hopkins & Allen kit that was never finished and I'm in the process of trying to find or make the parts needed to complete it.
The lock is my biggest concern right now because most of the other parts I can make or modify to fit.
The barrel is a Green Mountain .45 and still needs some fitting to line up the vent hole. I haven't been able to find a complete lock anywhere, all I could get was a stripped plate.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• IMGP0720.JPG
    IMGP0720.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMGP0721.JPG
    IMGP0721.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMGP0722.JPG
    IMGP0722.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 77
try TOTW. they have every thing in locks. I'M shore they will be able to get you hooked up with one. give them the dimension's.

Track has exact size photos of all of their locks in the catalog. Buy a catalog. Make copies of the locks. Cut them out and try them on your gun.

Plan B, Call Dixie and see if they have locks or parts. Since it is modern you have a chance. The plate looked eaten up by corrosion in the photo so I inferred that it was old.

GPC -Numrich may have parts but they do not take phone calls.

Call other places like October Country, Log cabin shop, MLBS and such. Somebody may have a lock or parts or have leads in your quest. Since phone calls are free today it is worth trying.

You could convert it to caplock using a drum. Cap locks are easier to make and modify.

PS the barrel needs to move back to locate the touch hole in the pan for that plate.
PPS the lock plate inletting is a hot mess. You probably want to make larger plate anyway.

I know, nobody likes to hear this, but... to be brutally honest, the project is NOT worth the trouble or expense. Your efforts would be MUCH better directed towards starting on a gun of better design.

Touchole looks a mite off with that plate anyway. How about grinding off the pan and rebuilding lock (and rifle) as a percussion. Would take correct parts but was just thinking.

Track has exact size photos of all of their locks in the catalog. Buy a catalog. Make copies of the locks. Cut them out and try them on your gun.

Plan B, Call Dixie and see if they have locks or parts. Since it is modern you have a chance. The plate looked eaten up by corrosion in the photo so I inferred that it was old.

GPC -Numrich may have parts but they do not take phone calls.

Call other places like October Country, Log cabin shop, MLBS and such. Somebody may have a lock or parts or have leads in your quest. Since phone calls are free today it is worth trying.

You could convert it to caplock using a drum. Cap locks are easier to make and modify.

PS the barrel needs to move back to locate the touch hole in the pan for that plate.
PPS the lock plate inletting is a hot mess. You probably want to make larger plate anyway.
Numrich is where I got the lock plate and basically all they had. I've tried several other places that sell older parts with no success.
I haven't given the cap a lot of thought but may have to.

I know, nobody likes to hear this, but... to be brutally honest, the project is NOT worth the trouble or expense. Your efforts would be MUCH better directed towards starting on a gun of better design.
No insult taken here I'm well aware of the facts as you state it. I'm not into the project cost-wise that much anyway and would like to bring the old gun to life as long as it isn't too costly.

Touchole looks a mite off with that plate anyway. How about grinding off the pan and rebuilding lock (and rifle) as a percussion. Would take correct parts but was just thinking.
Yes, I'm aware the vent hole is not lined up. Switching to a cap lock is on the back burner right now but may have to be done.

Stophel is dead on. Original unaltered ones (think Numrich or H&A Minuteman Model) have historically had very little demand and either sat on rack or sold for very little. Case in point It wasn't till the current insanity struck than several i knew of actually sold and for less than 2-3 bills each. If you have a quality barrel it deserves the rest to go with. The only drawback is this is prolly the worst time ever for projects (of any kind) due to cost and availability. I would respectfully request considering parting out what you have and acquiring a complete item that you like. From guns to autos to houses the days of saving $ via fixers is sadly over.

Stophel is dead on. Original unaltered ones (think Numrich or H&A Minuteman Model) have historically had very little demand and either sat on rack or sold for very little. Case in point It wasn't till the current insanity struck than several i knew of actually sold and for less than 2-3 bills each. If you have a quality barrel it deserves the rest to go with. The only drawback is this is prolly the worst time ever for projects (of any kind) due to cost and availability. I would respectfully request considering parting out what you have and acquiring a complete item that you like. From guns to autos to houses the days of saving $ via fixers is sadly over.
I started with a unfinished stock which isn't to bad and a Green Mountain barrel nothing else. Even if the stock is of the ( Numrich or H&A Minuteman Model) type when finished the gun certainly wouldn't be one. I've already got everything I need to finish the stock with the exception of a lock. The cost of this entire build even with the lock will be in the 500 dollar range where could I find a kit gun for even close to that?

OK. Given the circumstances (like the lock shape and touch hole location) i still would go for either building a lock to fit or modifying the flint plate to a percussion. You may have to add some metal to the plate to surround the drum properly but may be less than the effort of building a new lock. Would add the drum first then modify lock to fit. Might even give it more of a Custom look in producing what would have happened back when flints went to percussion. Would love to see results.

OK. Given the circumstances (like the lock shape and touch hole location) i still would go for either building a lock to fit or modifying the flint plate to a percussion. You may have to add some metal to the plate to surround the drum properly but may be less than the effort of building a new lock. Would add the drum first then modify lock to fit. Might even give it more of a Custom look in producing what would have happened back when flints went to percussion. Would love to see results.
I am leaning toward the cap lock idea it would indeed be easier to fit than the flint.

Latest posts

Back