• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

reproducing a lock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm working on a rifle and I need to have a lock made, I have the side plate but need someone to reproduce a lock with the same dimensions. If anyone here knows someone who does this kind of work or has contact info it would be a big help.

I finally had to make my own lock. Took paper and made a pattern based on lock mortise and then picked a hammer with correct throw. By careful adjustment on paper pattern got hammer hole correct and rest was fairly easy. make plate, drill hammer hole and use TC lock components to complete. Not perfect but shoots a ragged hole at 100 Yards.
015 (2017_11_02 14_20_59 UTC).JPG
017 (2017_11_02 14_20_59 UTC).JPG
022 (2017_11_02 14_20_59 UTC).JPG

I'm working on a rifle and I need to have a lock made, I have the side plate but need someone to reproduce a lock with the same dimensions. If anyone here knows someone who does this kind of work or has contact info it would be a big help.
Why won’t a commercially available lock work?

This is an older rifle and to this point, I haven't found a commercial lock that will fit the inlet. Here are some photos of the lock it's pretty small and I'd rather get one that fits vs re-inletting the stock.

Attachments

• IMGP0708.JPG
    IMGP0708.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMGP0709.JPG
    IMGP0709.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMGP0710.JPG
    IMGP0710.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMGP0711.JPG
    IMGP0711.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMGP0712.JPG
    IMGP0712.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 90
Curious, are you using the coil spring of a TC lock?
Yes. Used original TC lock for component location pattern. The coil spring works exceptionally well and maybe better/faster than original leaf spring it must have had when built FWIW its a .45 swiss match precision schuetzen from Biel where they used to shoot for $$$. Someone removed original lock long ago and came to me without it,

You will never find a modern lock to fit the mortice.

Thanks for including a scale with the photos. That is a small lock. In order to shop locks to modify, pictures of the cock and frizzen are necessary. It would be nice to see the rifle to determine what style of lock is appropriate. Photos of the assembled lock internals are necessary too.

IF it were a historically important and has significant value it may be best to leave it alone.

Making lock plates is not a problem. It is relatively easy to make a new plate for an existing lock and swap the parts over.

There are many very fine craftsmen over at american long rifle dot com . You might have luck over there finding a person to do the job.

Last edited:
A small Siler with the tail end filed to a round contour maybe as close as you can get. You can make a tracing of you lock plate and over lay it on the full size illustration that Track of the Wolf offers.

You will never find a modern lock to fit the mortice.

Thanks for including a scale with the photos. That is a small lock. In order to shop locks to modify, pictures of the cock and frizzen are necessary. It would be nice to see the rifle to determine what style of lock is appropriate. Photos of the assembled lock internals are necessary too.

IF it were a historically important and has significant value it may be best to leave it alone.

Making lock plates is not a problem. It is relatively easy to make a new plate for an existing lock and swap the parts over.

There are many very fine craftsmen over at american long rifle dot com . You might have luck over there finding a person to do the job.
Unfortunately the plate is all I have no other parts. I will try the forum suggested.

Back