• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Repro Smootbores Second Hand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Here in the UK over the last 6 months there has been a large increase in second hand repros muzzle loaders coming up for sale both private, and more so at auction . The large majority of these are by makers such has Pedersoli , Navy Arms and Zoli and the odd Berretta These guns consist of mostly sxs shotgun by Pedersoli and Navy Arms there are also Brown Bess muskets and Kentucky rifles
There is one of the top Auction houses here in the UK that have a sale in the new year with 21 of these guns in the sale most have a moderate estimate price for a sxs percussion the price is £50 to £200 for a Brown Bess the price is £100 to £200 and for a Kentucky £50 to £80 These are give away prices when a new sxs Pedersoli wil cost £950 My question is this a world wide thing if so it must have a big impact on Makers new guns .
Feltwad

Not seeing it here at all, but I'm impatiently tapping my foot in anticipation if your example holds true. I felt very fortunate to my early Pedersoli Bess for $350 over 10 years ago.

Here in the UK over the last 6 months there has been a large increase in second hand repros muzzle loaders coming up for sale both private, and more so at auction . The large majority of these are by makers such has Pedersoli , Navy Arms and Zoli and the odd Berretta These guns consist of mostly sxs shotgun by Pedersoli and Navy Arms there are also Brown Bess muskets and Kentucky rifles
There is one of the top Auction houses here in the UK that have a sale in the new year with 21 of these guns in the sale most have a moderate estimate price for a sxs percussion the price is £50 to £200 for a Brown Bess the price is £100 to £200 and for a Kentucky £50 to £80 These are give away prices when a new sxs Pedersoli wil cost £950 My question is this a world wide thing if so it must have a big impact on Makers new guns .
Feltwad
I have not noticed this in Australia FW, I wonder if this is people getting rid of percussions in favour of flintlocks?
Regards, Keith.
An ex West Sussex lad.

I would not say that muzzle loaders are now favour flintlocks, there are several reasons such has there is glut of originals at moderate prices now on the market , also UK gun laws are strict concerning repros and obtaining black powder which puts people off the sport
Feltwad

Wow....I wonder what is involved with legalities, etc. with a Yank buying a flintlock over there...If I could get a Brown Bess replica for cheap my heels might not be dug in so deep over the Europe trip the in laws are trying to talk us into!

Bear in mind that the values are the auctioneers estimates which are traditionally less than the final bid. There will be substantial commission charges, there may be tax added and/or customs duties as well as the cost of the auction house sending the item abroad to you. The major auction houses can arrange the export. I usually have a rule of thumb that the final cost is about double the final bid and that is just into France. I would not suggest going over and expecting to take one back with you. Talk to the auction house first.

My only experience with overseas shipping was sending a bow to a guy in Italy. He said to mark the package as "used sporting goods archery", this way the import duty would be $30. If I marked it as a new product the import duty would be $600.

My point is import duties can be confusing and troublesome.

Although I prefer an original sxs muzzle loader it seems that second hand reproes have hit rock bottom price wise . Attending a auction yesterday one came up to sell it was a pedersoli 10 bore sxs in new condition it would be lucky if it had fired 50 shots the locks were game engraved a good gun and sold for £55 sterling plus commission would have made some one a cheap Xmas present .
Feltwad

I don’t know what a pound is worth compared to a dollar but any thing less then $30 that’s a wonderful price. As I’m betting a pound is more in the $2 range I’d be jumping on that real fast:)

I'm listed with one of the many auction services. I have a key word I use which generates an alert sent to me by email of the upcoming auctions that have items I might be interested in. Sometimes the items go for more than you would expect, especially when adding the 24-26% buyer's premium.
But other times, you can pick up a real bargain. A month ago there was and auction with a flintlock I won, at a really good price. But another item in the auction, I just stumbled unto was a Pedersoli 1863 Sharps Infantry Rifle, with the Berdan set triggers, in unfired condition. I wasn't looking for this, but won it for $425.00 plus BP. Last I looked the gun retailed for near $1,600.00 So you can find some real bargains. Just a week ago, two (2) Centermark French smoothbores, in unfired condition went for $425/450.00 each plus BP. Just in the last 60/90 days I seen 2 Brown Bess's and 3 Charleville's show up. All in new condition, and one of them marked Navy Arms.

Rick

The Sealed Bid Auction by Holts on January 3rd in the UK is flooded by the number of repro weapons for sale which in the past 6 months have increased .The following are what is entered in this sale
Repro M.L Rifles 27 number
Repro M/L Shotguns 21 Number
Repro M/L Pistols 31 number
This makes you ask the question is Black powder shooting on the decline here in the UK or are people going for originals that also are on the price decline , hopeful it will write itself in the near future.
Feltwad

There seems to be a lot of Navy Arms guns there. What company is making them. Usually thats stamped on the bottom of the barrel under the forearm.

There seems to be some collector interest in the earliet versions marked Navy Arms. Especially if in unfired condition. They seem to bring a larger premium. Maybe something like the genuine Colt second generation of revolvers (?)

Rick

Back