• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Repro Parts for Repro Civil War Enfield Type Locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I decided to start this thread because other Forum Members may not know what parts will interchange or not on Repro Enfield Locks. Generally speaking, if an Enfield Lock was made in Italy, you MUST buy the original parts or parts specifically made to those specifications. If you don’t - I can almost guarantee other makers’ parts will not work in any but their own locks.

Note: For many decades now, Dixie Gun Works has mentioned that some Enfield parts “may be fitted” to other Manufacturer’s Guns. PLEASE be very skeptical of that, because most of the time it is just not true.

1. REAL Parker Hale Locks made in the UK. These were the ONLY reproduction locks and parts I ever ran across that ALSO correctly fit Original Enfield Percussion Locks and were interchangeable. While the Real Parker Hale was in production, we often used their parts to fix Original Tower and London Armory locks ”“ which were made on the Interchangeable Parts Manufacturing System. After Parker Hale went out of business in the UK, we now repair these locks with Original Enfield Parts.

2. “Parker Hale” made by EuroArms and sold by both Navy Arms and EuroArms - after the REAL UK Parker Hale went out of production. The lock parts were standard EuroArms parts. REAL UK Parker Hale parts will not interchange.

3. EuroArms Enfield locks. These were made by Armi San Paolo in Italy. These locks and parts will not fit any other Italian Manufactured Arm I know of and other Maker’s Parts won’t fit these locks.

4. Pietta Enfield Locks. These were the Enfield’s sold by Taylors & Company when Sue Hawkins left EuroArms and formed Taylors. They were the lowest quality reproduction Enfield Locks/Guns made when I stopped going to the NSSA Spring and Fall National Championships in 2005. These parts would not interchange with other maker’s parts.

5. Pedersoli Enfield Locks. I put these last ONLY because I have never worked on them and don’t know much about their quality and if their parts will fit other guns. I strongly suspect the parts won’t fit other guns, but I don’t know for sure. Does anyone have more info on that? The GOOD NEWS about Pedersoli Locks is that with them being in production, correctly fitting parts can be obtained for them.

Gus

Dixie used to sell a reproduction M 1861 Colt Special Musket reproduction tumbler and bridle, which was also an Enfield Type Tumbler that required a separate Stirrup and not a Springfield type Tumbler with a pinned stirrup.

I tried them in a few original Colt Special Muskets and they wouldn't work. I tried them in new "Colt" reproduction muskets and they also wouldn't work.

I was shocked that some Italian repro "Zouave" locks used Enfield tumblers and much to my surprise, those Dixie Tumblers worked great in them. Not sure where Dixie got those Tumblers and bridles, but I bought a couple of those Dixie "Colt Special" Tumblers for every Spring or Fall National Shoot in Winchester for use in some Zouave locks, until Dixie ran out of those Tumblers in the early 90's.

I am not really familiar with the modern Colt replicas they had made of their "M1861 Special Musket," because most NSSA Shooters were not using them and the few who did reported accuracy problems compared to the price they paid over other Civil War Reproduction Arms. I never stocked parts for those guns for that reason.

Gus

The locks on the Amoskeag/LG&Y and probably the Colt itself were as close to scrap metal as ever left Italy. I tried to make 2 locks work with no luck and the parts would not interchange between the two, not even close. Two different model locks from two different manufacturers would have come closer to interchanging with each other. I finally threw my hands up in despair and bought a rebuilt original L G & Y lock to put in the gun. Far from cheap but the only alternative I could find. I would recommend these guns and parts be left in the hands of someone else.

To reinforce what Gus has said the UK produced Parker Hale locks are top quality and the later Italian made "Parker Hale" parts are different. I have an early 2 band UK Parker Hale scattered across the kitchen table right now and I have a spare UK made lock for it and as near as I can see there haven't been any better quality parts made in the last century than these.

Here in UK Peter Dyson has bridles, sears, tumblers and stirrups, both genuine and Parker-Hale as well as some he says will fit repros. Check out his website.

tac

:thumbsup: to what tac said about Peter Dyson. I met him in 1996 at the International Muzzleloading Committee's World Championship in Wedgnock, Midlands, UK. Fine Fellow and GOOD STUFF for sale.
https://www.peterdyson.co.uk/acatalog/ENFIELD_RIFLE_parts.html

Gus

Something screwy with these posts a part from the black line .I cant see a normal charge would have wrought such damage to an Enfield.
Peter Dyson never needed promoting he was good at that himself . I knew him when he just worked in the attic At Honley he was never backwards in coming forwards and some reckoned charged like wounded Buffalo' . I suppose he was being realistic . Some called him' speedy'.I knew Henry Krank when he had a Garage ',Henry Krank 'was just part of Longstaffs three shops .Not his real name. But He built it up to a major concern another one not shy to mark up stuff .But he didnt go in for all the ' Connections stuff ' Worshipfull Gunmakers association ect ' . The most inept idiot ever married into a gun shop, Was a' Chairman' of this august body .He sneared at'Back street RFDs '(Like Me) , Though his qualifications where between his legs ! . Mr Foley might check his description of a 'flys' purpose .A typo perhaps ? .
Un Pompas Rudyard

Latest posts

Back