• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Repro British sea service pistol, opinions wanted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SadEyedDevil

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Stumbled on this pistol for sale. I was wondering if anyone here might know from the pic attached where it might have come from and if it is worth picking up as a shooter. I wanted something earlier Seven Years War through American Revolution, this is early 1800's?
397406.jpg

Thanks in advance for looking.

Hi,
Looks like a pattern 1801 sea service pistol. Sea service pistols changed so little over the 18th century, you could get away with it for almost any period. The short sear spring and pan bridle are the only obvious giveaways that it is an 1801.

dave

I think the border line and TOWER mark on the lock date it later also, could be wrong. The pistol looks "better" than the usual Indian made replicas, any thoughts on what manufacture it could be?
Nothing wrong with the India made guns was eyeing up MVTC for the Ketland replica to tinker with.

That is a very well-made replication which, with a little lack of care and attention, could well pass for a genuinely old pistol. Such events HAVE happened before to my knowledge here in UK, where a very fine 'replica' Brown Bess officer's carbine bought here as a live-firing modern shotgun [the way that we here in UK have to buy a replica of a smooth-bored musket or gonne of some kind] was found to be the genuine and far more valuable article, worth around six times what the lucky purchaser had paid for it.

Looks good. I'd grab it. My guess is that it was built from a TRS kit (?) But I don't have their catalog in front of me at the moment. And doesn't appear that Muzzle Loader Builder Supply has that particular model in their offerings.
Nice pistol.

Rick

That pistol looks like the real deal to me. I enlarged & lightened the photo and you can see Board of Ordnance and store keeper stamps on the grip. The engraving appears too good for a reproduction also.
397406.jpg

Here's a verified antique 1801
FHG-1730-1.jpg

Mike

Hi dd832,
I am not so sure it is original. The wide lock panels suggest modern production to me. Very few modern makers get that right. They all seem to be frightened to make them as thin as the originals or they just don't pay attention to details. My suspicion is it is an "aged" modern product but I could be wrong.

dave

Hi dd832,
I am not so sure it is original. The wide lock panels suggest modern production to me. Very few modern makers get that right. They all seem to be frightened to make them as thin as the originals or they just don't pay attention to details. My suspicion is it is an "aged" modern product but I could be wrong.
dave

Egads!! Hoodwinked again by a blurry photograph! P.T. Barnum was right.... a sucker is born every minute.

I'll return to my cave now, Mike.........

Last edited:
these were made in the 160's and 70's in JAPAN & KOREA, as HY SCORE. once the frizzen is case hardened, the y are pretty good as a knock about. on GUN BROKER, they are going for $275 to $375.00, all of the time. not bad for a pistol that sold back in the day foe $9.99. they seem to be used at many events and time period. I have 6 0f them and one of the KOREAN ones, and shoot them all of the time, don't hit anything but make smoke with them, fun!!

Hi,
No, it is not a Hy Score pistol. It is likely a repro made from Rifle Shoppe parts. The maker did a pretty good job but it is very rare to see a modern repro on which the maker captured the correct styling around the lock and side panels areas of these British pistols. That is also true for most modern made English fowlers.

dave

Agree with Dave. Appears to have been made from TRS kit. Their catalog list it as #567 Late Sea Service Pistol.
Again, I would grab it. Hard to find these TRS guns appear for sale second hand. Looks like a decent build.

I've actually purchased three TRS pistols completed by others in unfired condition that sold second hand. They do come up on occassion, but typically sell quickly if the buyer knows what he is looking at.

Let me know if you're not interested. LOL

Rick

I suppose I or rather we will find out, I am going to pick it up Sunday. Will update with pictures if all goes well.

I'm keeping my eye out for something like this for a gift to a buddy who would keel over with excitement. Did you end up acquiring it? I'm wary of the available repros, and Middlesex Village Trading (a seemingly trustworthy place to get the Indian repros) has a scary backlog right now.

"Middlesex Village Trading (a seemingly trustworthy place to get the Indian repros)"

Before you buy I suggest you research some of the postings on him.

Will do. Not planning on buying anything anytime soon unless a deal pops up. Just doing some research. I mentioned that company just because the Sea Service pistol there looked better than a few other places I saw.

PISTOL ALBUM

The pistol looks to be in pretty good shape, I see a small crack by the lock bolt and one in the nose of the ramrod channel, I am not sure what to make of the horizontal marks across the butt however.
The lock sparks well and I had a video of the gentleman I got the pistol from shooting it. He did say he used a fairly undersized ball and lighter than full charge, but she makes smoke and clangs the target.

PISTOL ALBUM

The pistol looks to be in pretty good shape, I see a small crack by the lock bolt and one in the nose of the ramrod channel, I am not sure what to make of the horizontal marks across the butt however.
The lock sparks well and I had a video of the gentleman I got the pistol from shooting it. He did say he used a fairly undersized ball and lighter than full charge, but she makes smoke and clangs the target.

Beautiful. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for something like this.

Back