• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Replica Arms, El Paso, TX

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know the story of Replica Arms, El Paso, TX? I just recently purchased a lovely cap and ball pistol from another forum member stamped with "Replica Arms, El Paso, TX" on one side and "made in Italy" on the other. It's a well made gun. The bluing is particularly nice. Did it come from the Uberti or Pietta factory, or some other factory?
thanks

Replica Arms was an importer founded by Leonard Allen in El Paso, TX. in 1962. They imported the first Colt Walker copy made by Armi San Marco. In 1965 Replic Arms was sold and moved to Marietta, Ohio with Ken phelps as president. Older Replica Arms were made by Uberti, ASM, and Pietta. In 1973 to 1974 Replica Arms was bought by Val Forgett and Navy Arms. Transition weapons were marked Replica Arms, Ridgefield, New Jersey which was the address of Navy Arms. Weapons can be found with Navy Arms and the logo of Replica Arms on them and these are rare. Here is a picture of a Navy Arms Ridgefield, NJ. barrel marked Griswold & Gunnison .36 with the Replica Arms logo on the frame.

Attachments

• DSCN0920.JPG
    DSCN0920.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0921.JPG
    DSCN0921.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0923.JPG
    DSCN0923.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hawk, my 1851 from the 70’s has those same markings. Nice to know that it’s rare… unfortunately it’s a fizzle, pop, squib machine. Piper, mine has the Pietta logo on the underside of the barrel assembly where it meets the frame. Check there for a maker’s mark.

Attachments

• Colt 1851 Pietta.jpeg
    Colt 1851 Pietta.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 0
Mike Beliveau pointed me to his very helpful video on the subject.
I haven’t had time to look under the trigger guard.
Thanks for the information. It’s amazing how much expertise there is among members on this forum, and how generous people are with their hard won knowledge.

Hawk, my 1851 from the 70’s has those same markings. Nice to know that it’s rare… unfortunately it’s a fizzle, pop, squib machine. Piper, mine has the Pietta logo on the underside of the barrel assembly where it meets the frame. Check there for a maker’s mark.
Maybe try some new nipples.

Oh I have. Tried some nips from Taylor’s and also some from Slixshot. The cylinder pin is wobbly and the cylinder has a fair amount of front-to-back movement. I think it’s this arbor business which I’m still trying to ferret out being a relative newbie.

Taking the gun completely apart to clean no maker's mark was found anywhere. Every metal piece was stamped "22". There are Italian proof marks and a date stamp XIX (1963). The barrel is still very bright and the nipples show very little if any wear. The interior working parts were slathered in grease. This leads me to think this gun has not been shot very much in the 60 years since its manufacture. It is a London model, but it is not stamped "London" like the ones made today. The bluing on the barrel is remarkable. The grip is a solid piece of wood, unlike any grip I've seen on newer models. That might be a clue to who made it. I ordered Pietta and Uberti replacement nipples from Slixshot, realizing neither may fit.

Back