• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

replacement wooden ramrods?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the opposite way that the one that came with the gun is designed.
I prefer the way you mentioned and I'm sure its more PC
A jag isn't necessary to load, the "fat" wooden end of the rod does just fine. The only time I use the threaded end is to clean or pull a load.

If you pay attention to your equipment and know the proper way to use your ramrod, you likely will never see one break. I had a brass end pop off down in the breach while wiping the bore one time. That was because I made a new rod and failed to pin the ends on. Lesson learned. ALL my rods and range rods have the ends pinned on now.

If you pay attention to your equipment and know the proper way to use your ramrod, you likely will never see one break. I had a brass end pop off down in the breach while wiping the bore one time. That was because I made a new rod and failed to pin the ends on. Lesson learned. ALL my rods and range rods have the ends pinned on now.
Yankee,
How'd you manage to get that out?
Worm on another rod?

I did it once on a cap lock rifle and pulled the nipple and fed in some powder and shot out the offending jag. It is amazing how much power it had. I never did find the jag as it was buried in the ground.
Hm, hadn't thought to use that trick.
It might work on s flintlock
Good thing you had that jag slinger pointed in a safe direction!
LOL

Being a two season Hunter, I have quite a few arrows. Has anyone tried using a carbon, aluminum or cedar arrow to make a ramrod? When I first started muzzleloader hunting, I made a ramrod out of a fiberglass arrow, but research said not to use fiberglass so I discontinued it.. I would be interested in knowing what some others have had for experience with these types of materials.

Squint

Surprised no one has mentioned the 'indestructible' ram rod. I don't recall the company but the offer a wood ramrod with a steel rod inside. Interesting concept. FWIW, that is about the only type ram rod I don't have. I must have 50 rods tried and accumulated over the years.o_O

Yankee,
How'd you manage to get that out?
Worm on another rod?
Took the barrel in to work and used a rubber tipped blow gun. Straight line pressure blew the jag/patch/ramrod end across the building and bounced off the overhead door! Good thing I was pointing in a "safe" direction!

Surprised no one has mentioned the 'indestructible' ram rod. I don't recall the company but the offer a wood ramrod with a steel rod inside.
I remember reading the owner was ill and was no longer building the rods. Interesting concept, yet still completely unnecessary...

Surprised no one has mentioned the 'indestructible' ram rod. I don't recall the company but the offer a wood ramrod with a steel rod inside. Interesting concept. FWIW, that is about the only type ram rod I don't have. I must have 50 rods tried and accumulated over the years.o_O
Funny how ramrod mutiply faster then guns. I have 2-3 for each gun. And just bought some blanks. Been forty years since I broke one in use.

The ramrods to which you are referring were from www.periodramrod.com the owner is/was Robert Brant from San Diego, CA He also repaired and restored wooden canoes and made custom paddles.
His ramrods were wooden with a steel core. They were very nice.

You say 9mm is to large for your pipes. 1/2 an hour with some sand paper will cure that. Or, take off one of you pipes, scrape the rod till it stats to fit. Scrape and move pipe until up, then hit with a few swipes of sand paper held in your hand. Easy peezy

That's what I did when I replaced the ramrod on my restocked Dixie Tennessee Mountain Rifle. It had the original 9mm diameter rod made from some mystery wood and I bought a ramen wood replacement from Track of the Wolf. After I cut it to length I used some 120 grit sandpaper to get it to fit and then 220 grit to smooth it out before applying some tung oil finish (it's what was handy). Cutting and sanding the rod to fit took perhaps 20 minutes.

I believe Dixie Gun Works sells wooden ramrods. I ordered a fiberglass rod from them and, if I remember correctly, they also had hickory ramrods.

For wooden ram rods contact Dan Putz at 1-573-768-6920. I purchased a dozen rods of various sizes from him. Fast shipping and all the rods I bought were good quality and good grain.

Back