• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

replacement wooden ramrods?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am surprised nobody said to measure the inside diameter of the ramrod pipe with a set of calipers. Then get a wood rod that will fit. Everyone is just guessing at the size. More information will help
If one is making a tapered rod, then a larger-diameter rod will be needed to start.

Are you asking about a metal rod replacing a wood rod? Why?

Hickory rods are every bit as dependable as metal rods. There seems to be this overwhelming fear that wooden rods are out to get people and will break with the slightest provocation....
I guess I'm more concerned I'll snap one in a rush through my own inexperience and am looking to hedge my bets with a metal one but as was mentioned, bending one that slipped out would be just as bad

Hand,
What do you think about a Charleville rod in a FdC ? Is that a PC likelihood?
It’s possible some one used a Charlie rod in some civilian fusils. I’m thinking it’s a bit smaller, and needs a bit of work to be useable. Hickory rods grew on trees. Not to mention elm and Osage orange both flexible tough woods.
I broke a rod in ‘77 or so. That was my fault. The replacement I made was a hardware dowel. It did the job. Replaced it with hickory, but after almost a year. I think the rod I broke was a hardware dowel.
You choke up on a rod, don’t try to grasp it on the end and run home with one long stroke. Short thrust won’t break. Metal rods in civilian guns was very rare....and useless.

I am surprised nobody said to measure the inside diameter of the ramrod pipe with a set of calipers. Then get a wood rod that will fit. Everyone is just guessing at the size. More information will help
That's what I did. The 9mm rod from TOW ended up being a hair over 10mm. My ramrod entry thimble is 9mm. I ordered the 9mm rod thinking it was 9mm. The tips ended up being 9mm, the rod itself is wider.

That's what I did. The 9mm rod from TOW ended up being a hair over 10mm. My ramrod entry thimble is 9mm. I ordered the 9mm rod thinking it was 9mm. The tips ended up being 9mm, the rod itself is wider.
If the brass tip fits the thimbles, just sand the rod down as I described above and you're golden. Enlarging the thimbles by reaming may also be an option, but that's a decision you'll have to make.

It’s possible some one used a Charlie rod in some civilian fusils. I’m thinking it’s a bit smaller, and needs a bit of work to be useable. Hickory rods grew on trees. Not to mention elm and Osage orange both flexible tough woods.
I broke a rod in ‘77 or so. That was my fault. The replacement I made was a hardware dowel. It did the job. Replaced it with hickory, but after almost a year. I think the rod I broke was a hardware dowel.
You choke up on a rod, don’t try to grasp it on the end and run home with one long stroke. Short thrust won’t break. Metal rods in civilian guns was very rare....and useless.
I'll look around for Elm or Osage but NM is wood poor where I'm at.
Be faster to buy one from TOW in hickory and taper it myself.
Is the preference for PC an all wood rod without aa threaded tip?

I'll look around for Elm or Osage but NM is wood poor where I'm at.
Be faster to buy one from TOW in hickory and taper it myself.
Is the preference for PC an all wood rod without aa threaded tip?
You could also find a piece of Hickory at the local lumber store and make your own (That is what I've done). Threaded tips are period, but they are longer than the ones sold by vendors. See below for the one I made and installed on my hand-made tapered rod. The end is tapered as well and is attached to the end that fits into the stock.

20181001_110652.jpg

Last edited:
You could also find a piece of Hickory at the local lumber store and make your own (That is what I've done). Threaded tips are period, but they are longer than the ones sold by vendors. See below for the one I made and installed on my hand-made tapered rod. The end is tapered as well and is attached to the end that fits into the stock.

View attachment 4247
Nice job!
How is it attached the hickory shaft?
Pinned?
Did it start out as a larger piece of rod stock that you drilled a socket into ?

Nice job!
How is it attached the hickory shaft?
Pinned?
Did it start out as a larger piece of rod stock that you drilled a socket into ?
It started life as a piece of sheet steel that was cut to shape, rolled into a tapered tube and brazed. A piece of 1/4" rod is brazed into the narrow end which was drilled and tapped to accept a jag or worm. It is pinned to the rod end with a piece of copper wire.

Here's two tapered rods I made and the sheet steel tip and a brass tip I turned on a lathe with 2 worms I made. If you have a whole day or two to mess around I suggest buying from track or another supplier.
Those tapered tips are a ----- to make !!!!! And if its like around here there is no hickory to be found. The oak at Home depot is worthless for rods it all has run out.

GEDC0189.JPG

I have built guns with the entry pipe and the first ram rod pipe are one size and the front pipe is slightly larger. On several occasions I have simply drilled out the front pipe to accept a bit more girth. (Pipes that were drilled were cast not sheet rolled and soldered.) This allows for a bit more meat at the loading end.

It still comes down to you knowing the ID of the pipes on your gun(s)

I recently purchased several nice hickory rods, two with pinned brass fittings for 10-32 stuff from Log Cabin. Nice site, reasonable (to me) prices and shipping and fast service. Looking is still free.

It started life as a piece of sheet steel that was cut to shape, rolled into a tapered tube and brazed. A piece of 1/4" rod is brazed into the narrow end which was drilled and tapped to accept a jag or worm. It is pinned to the rod end with a piece of copper wire.
Interesting!
Is it muzzle end?

Here's two tapered rods I made and the sheet steel tip and a brass tip I turned on a lathe with 2 worms I made. If you have a whole day or two to mess around I suggest buying from track or another supplier.
Those tapered tips are a ----- to make !!!!! And if its like around here there is no hickory to be found. The oak at Home depot is worthless for rods it all has run out.

View attachment 4249
Beautiful work but it sounds like splendid frustration!!
LOL
TOW sells tapered brass tips as well, I may go that route as well
As far as Home Despot, not too many honest to goodness lumber yards left here and the only exotic woods store went under

Latest posts

Back