• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Replacement rod for my Traditions Hawken Woodsman?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The rod that came with my Hawkens is a rather flimsy plastic looking thing so I always use a range rod from TOW.
Problem is when shooting at an event it would be much easier to just load from my bag rather than walking back to a loading table.

Any body make replacement heavy-duty rods for the Trad Woodsman Hawken?

Check track of the wolf. I believe they sell replacement rods in different lengths. But, over time you will end up breaking rods, so just start now making your own. Buy a half-dozen blanks and one set of tips.

A hickory ram rod from Track of the Wolf should last you a life time, if your braking rods you’re doing something wrong. Grip the rod a short distance from the muzzle and keep your patch’s damp.

Thanks fellas. You guys always provide great info!

I have NOT broken my rod; I just don't use it (except when hunting) because it seems so flimsy.

TOW has many models and sizes, etc. How do I know which one will fit my Traditions Woodsmen Hawkens?

I made a brass onboard rod for one rifle and a steel on board rod for another. There are some advantages to them with the only disadvantage being the weight.

Originally made the steel one for a fly in hunt. I attached threaded rod tips on both ends and that allowed me to screw a handle made of a file handle onto it for cleaning. The handle fits into the shooting bag so the on board rod becomes a traveling range rod.

Now I'm thinking of doing the same thing with a straight grain hickory rod to reduce the weight. Seems like things are ever evolving. :)

October Country sold me a hickory ramrod that was so crooked it wouldn't fit in my thimbles. I contacted them and send them pictures. They told me it would straighten if I put it in my gun for awhile or after it was used awhile. What part of IT IS SO CROOKED IT WON'T FIT IN MY GUN did they not understand? NEVER EVER ORDER FROM THIS OUTFIT!!!! A reputable company would have mailed a new one the same day.

Attachments

• 20210110_140236.jpg
    20210110_140236.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 70
October Country sold me a hickory ramrod that was so crooked it wouldn't fit in my thimbles. I contacted them and send them pictures. They told me it would straighten if I put it in my gun for awhile or after it was used awhile. What part of IT IS SO CROOKED IT WON'T FIT IN MY GUN did they not understand? NEVER EVER ORDER FROM THIS OUTFIT!!!! A reputable company would have mailed a new one the same day.
Raw ramrod blanks frequently come crooked or with bends. They need to be straightened, it's part of building one. I've ordered ramrod blanks from October Country, Track, ML Builders Supply, some just need more work.

Like said, straightening ramrods is part of the process; heat the bend over your stove until you can barely touch the rod, wear gloves and bend it in the opposite direction of the bend ever so slightly on the heal of your hand. Give the rod a spin and look down it, if it looks like you got some of the bend out let it cool and go to another spot, work your way up and down the rod. It take a little while to get the "feel" of straightening, we tend to overdo it at first, if you do just go back the opposite way.

ramrod straightening.JPG

Looks to me like you are just jumping from thread to thread and copying the same bashing post - so you can bash a very good vendor.......

That is a pretty bad ramrod. I've bought dozens of them over the years from track of the wolf and never had anything look like a twisted carrot. I'd have to agree with the buyer, it should have been replaced.

That is a pretty bad ramrod. I've bought dozens of them over the years from track of the wolf and never had anything look like a twisted carrot. I'd have to agree with the buyer, it should have been replaced.
If he wanted it replaced - so be it.
I have never done business with any gun or gun parts vendor that would not accept something back that was deemed defective.
For CR to post 13 bashing posts in less than 10 minutes, and those are the ONLY posts he has made - pure childish temper fit.
Just call him Mr. KAREN.

My Hawken Woodsman came with a wood rod, now that was 13 years ago. But that one was broken and 2 more since. I don't know why that rifle likes to break ramrods. Someone at one point had posted about making a rod out of brass tubing, much lighter than solid brass rod. That may be a good option to look at.

If he wanted it replaced - so be it.
I have never done business with any gun or gun parts vendor that would not accept something back that was deemed defective.
For CR to post 13 bashing posts in less than 10 minutes, and those are the ONLY posts he has made - pure childish temper fit.
Just call him Mr. KAREN.
I disagree, people need to know which are the good companies and which ones are totally scam artists.

Back