• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Replacement Ram Rod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here but not entirely new to BP shooting. After many years of ignoring my BP handguns, I've pulled them forward to begin shooting them again. My very first BP handgun is a Kirklands Guns single shot Kentucky style pistol. I remember breaking the ram rod the last time I shot it. After looking at what seems like a dozen web sites, I've yet to find a replacement. Anyone have any ideas where I might find a replacement? The ram rod slot if fits in on the pistol measures about .288.
Thank you

Hey Zonie,
Yes did look at Track of the Wolf. Didn't find the size I was looking for. And think you are correct, I'll have to sand down a 5/16 to get the fit.

Buy a long one and cut it to the length you need be sure when placing the tips to glue and PIN them, you will have left over material if you need to make another sometime.

Thanks for the replies, I ordered from Track of the Wolf this evening. Will just have to turn it down a bit and cut to length.

Gregory, I am not familiar with Kirkland's Guns. Is this one of the old Turner Kirkland Belgian-made single shots? Maybe a custom builder? Can you provide a photo or two?

You described breaking the ramrod you were using before. I see "the ramrod slot" measures .288", but I don't see the bore size mentioned. If you are shooting a tight-fitting ball and patch combination, there will be a great deal of stress placed on a very small-diameter wooden ramrod. If it were mine, I might make a replacement wooden rod to put in the ramrod channel of the pistol "for show," but I would seriously think about a brass or aluminum rod for actual loading and cleaning. A quarter-inch rod would probably do the trick, but again, we don't know the bore size which would more likely dictate the diameter of your loading rod. You might be able to go a little larger.

Anyway, one way to "turn down" your wooden rod would be to chuck it in a hand-held electric drill. Wrap the rod loosely with sandpaper held in your other hand. Work the rod back and forth in the sandpaper while the rod is rotating at low speed, and you would be surprised at how easy it is to reduce the diameter. If you start with a slightly larger diameter rod, you can turn a nice taper in it, as the old ones were done.

Good shooting, and be safe! ... and please show us some photos of the pistol, if you can manage it.

Notchy Bob

Hey Notchy,
Yep, It's one of the Turner Kirklands Guns. I picked up a replacement rod from Track of the Wolf, will chuck it in my drill press and sand it down to fit. Plan to stain it and basically leave it in the pistol for aesthetics and use a stronger rod from my shooting box for loading.

Back