• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Replacement of breach plug and tang

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder14

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have acquired a 45cal percussion rifle That needs a new tang and from the look of it a breach plug also, So before I get carried away is removing the old breach plug going to be a headache or is it a removal and replace job. The Tang has cracked and the end of the plug looks like someone tried to peen it over the tang hole because the hook is gone. So there is no salvaging anything. Any suggestions would be Appreciated.

You didn't mention if this is a "factory barrel" (CVA, Traditions etc) or a build.

Some of the foreign built rifles have metric or uncommon threads not found on the plugs available from places like Track of the Wolf etc.

So depending what you have you might need to have the end of the barrel cut off and (re-breeched) to accept a replacement plug which can change the fit on the entire rifle.

Back