• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Replacement lock for Pedersoli Frontier

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylerheidt5

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good morning everyone, I recently joined this forum, and after having read many other posts, I thought I would ask a question and maybe get some honest opinions.

I have a Pedersoli Frontier, .50 cal, flintlock, and while the lock itself works fine, I think it could be better. I understand it is what it is, but does anyone here recommend replacing the lock with one from R&L?
I have several other muzzle loaders but I really like the accuracy I’m getting with this one, so I wouldn’t mind upgrading the lock.
So if anyone has any opinions good or bad on the R&L lock, I would appreciate what you have to say. Thanks in advance.

The "L&R" replacement lock for the Pedersoli Frontier is a quality lock that I believe is much better than the original. You won't be disappointed.
Is the L&R lock's sear width a little wider than the original Pedersoli Frontier lock's sear?
My son bought a Pedersoli Frontier flintlock at a market fair and the lock's hammer would only go off part of the time when not using the set trigger... when taken apart you could see that the sear bar was not wide enough and the main trigger would only brush against the end of the sear bar. I took the rifle to Fort Chambers Black Powder Gun Shop and when I received the rifle back it was worse than when we dropped it off. They welded an 1/8" extension on the lock sear bar to widen it's width and looks like they brazed some metal on top the main trigger... now the main trigger sticks back towards the set trigger when pulled and the lock will go off if you bump the hammer with your hand (perhaps the tumbler was damaged during the welding operation).
I think I'll try to repair it myself now... so I figured I would buy another main trigger from vtigunparts and believe that a R&L lock can be retrofitted with a little inletting. I just want the rifle to fire correctly for my son. Thanks...

Good morning everyone, I recently joined this forum, and after having read many other posts, I thought I would ask a question and maybe get some honest opinions.

I have a Pedersoli Frontier, .50 cal, flintlock, and while the lock itself works fine, I think it could be better. I understand it is what it is, but does anyone here recommend replacing the lock with one from R&L?
I have several other muzzle loaders but I really like the accuracy I’m getting with this one, so I wouldn’t mind upgrading the lock.
So if anyone has any opinions good or bad on the R&L lock, I would appreciate what you have to say. Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a solution looking for a problem!
I have the same gun, a .50 flinch lock and it sparks great, good strong mainspring, hardened frizzed. Goes bang evertime I do my part. What do you mean ” it could be better”? 69AFCB57-BE73-47F1-9DB8-0E5FD8091BDC.jpeg

Why not go back with your problem. I've never known Ft. Chambers to not make it right.
Because when I received the rifle back the trigger assembly had stuck back against the sear after the first time I pulled the trigger and had to be disassembled to unstick trigger (first photo below, bottom trigger that been welded) because a hump was tig welded across so the top of it... top trigger in photo I had bought as replacement from VTI afterwards. The Tumbler's second step or firing notch was rounded off whereas the Cock would go off by tapping on it or wouldn't hold at all... in which I disassembled the whole lock assembly and filed a sharper notch (second thumbnail) into tumbler, polished the sides and fly area of tumbler so the end of the sear will hold now in full cock. The third photo is what was originally wrong with the Pedersoli whereas the sear's bar was too short, and Ft. Chambers tig welded an extension so the trigger would hit... this helped (with a new trigger installed). Why would I take the rifle back with what I found after receiving it back after two months? Just my experience... and another reason to research do learn the repairs myself.

trigger.jpgtumbler second step or notch.jpgsear.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back