• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Replacement lock for GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L&R not exactly "drop-in" as some inletting/wood removal is required to get it to operate properly.

Boomerang said:
Does anyone make a drop in replacement caplock for a Lyman GPR?

I understand upgrading the lock on a GPR flinter but what is the gain on replacing the lock on a percussion?

40 Flint said:
Boomerang said:
Does anyone make a drop in replacement caplock for a Lyman GPR?

I understand upgrading the lock on a GPR flinter but what is the gain on replacing the lock on a percussion?

I don't like where the half cock position is on the factory lock. It has the hammer almost touching the nipple. So you have to put on full cock to put a cap on.

Had gaps, at least with a GPR flint lock I installed on a kit gun. There also was a copious amount of wood removal for the spring. For what it is worth, once the installed, a real improvement over the factory lock. Had two in flint. Other than aesthetics, see little performance improvement when it comes to the percussion lock. Had one a while back, but long gone. Only have one flint right now. Love it.

I don't like where the half cock position is on the factory lock. It has the hammer almost touching the nipple. So you have to put on full cock to put a cap on.

There are two options....

1. shorten the nipple

2. Get over it...

I full cock most of my guns to cap the nipple and then lower the hammer to half cock.. :idunno:

Back