• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Replacement Frizzen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some of you may remember I broke the frizzen on my H&A Minuteman a while back. I had put it to the side while I focused on other projects building "unmentionables".

I finally sent pictures and measurements to Track and they recommended using the Late Ketland frizzen. It arrived the other day and yes it will work but I'm having to do some mod work on it. The swivel is about a 16th of an inch too wide and the whole frizzen body it at least an 8th of an inch too wide. It's in the white and no hole drilled for mounting and I will have to harden it once I get it fitted.
Have the swivel point fitted, ground the casting gate off the face and did some grinding and filing on the sides of the cover. Here it is so far.\

Frizzen 1.jpg

Frizzen 2.jpg

Frizzen 3.jpg

This is a temp fix as I'm considering getting a Transitional Kentucky and Davis Jager lock setup from Pecatonica and mount the rest of the H&A hardware on it some time in the future. Funds allowing of course.

We've also figured out a classic or late ketland lock can be mounted on a Pedersoli Pennsylvania and Kentucky longrifles with relatively minor inletting.

I read about this and the way I understand it it because the way the frizzen spring press against the frizzen that if the frizzen is clamped down and the hole is drilled then the clamp is removed and the spring acts on the foot of the frizzen the frizzen is lifted at the front and you get a poor fit. The cure is to place a thin shim at the fence side of the pan then clamp the frizzen down and drill the hole. This allows the frizzen to close more completely after assembly. Having assembled a few kit locks I know getting the fit right hasn’t worked completely by making very good flat surfaces and clamping the frizzen down for drilling. I haven’t had the opportunity to do this myself and feel it’s a reasonable way of doing it. I “think” I read this on ALR forum and there’s some very talented builders there.

That’s great that you found a way to get that lock back to functional. The way things are right now, being able to reuse or repair anything is worthwhile.

This project has been on hold for a while now basically because I need to harden the frizzen. Having never done anything like that in the past I just put it to the side. Yes I did watch some videos and noted everyone talked about using hardening compound. Did a search and all I could find is compounds in somewhat to very large quantities and all I need is a very small amount for this job.

Back