• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Replace Lock GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the L&R lock is designed to replace the GPR lock, you may have to so some minor trimming to get the new lockplate to fit the GPR lock mortice. It should be a very close fit.
What is the reason for replacing the old lock? No spark from a worn frizzen? Or something even worse?

If the L&R lock is designed to replace the GPR lock, you may have to so some minor trimming to get the new lockplate to fit the GPR lock mortice. It should be a very close fit.
What is the reason for replacing the old lock? No spark from a worn frizzen? Or something even worse?
No problem I like the rain guard on the L&R

Last edited:
I know this question has been asked before I want to replace my lock on my GPR flint lock with a L&R is there a video or a tectorial out there ?
I’ve installed a few L&R RPL flintlocks in Lyman rifles. Somewhat of a PIA. Lockplate doesn’t match Lyman factory mortice (too large in some areas, too small in others) plus it’s a crapshoot if it will line up with factory touchhole location. This has nothing to do with the wood you have to remove for the locks internal springs.

As far instructions on how to install, most any out there showing how to install a lock will help. Me, I disassemble down to just the lock plate and see how things line up. Does it fit the lock plate mortise (none have for me)? Does it line up with the existing factory touch hole in barrel? Had one that was off quite a bit and had to move the barrel. Others have had similar problems. Once you have the lock plate properly inlet, you fit the other lock components into the stock just like with any other lock. I use Prussian Blue and a sharp chisel.

I’ve installed a few L&R RPL flintlocks in Lyman rifles. Somewhat of a PIA. Lockplate doesn’t match Lyman factory mortice (too large in some areas, too small in others) plus it’s a crapshoot if it will line up with factory touchhole location. This has nothing to do with the wood you have to remove for the locks internal springs.

As far instructions on how to install, most any out there showing how to install a lock will help. Me, I disassemble down to just the lock plate and see how things line up. Does it fit the lock plate mortise (none have for me)? Does it line up with the existing factory touch hole in barrel? Had one that was off quite a bit and had to move the barrel. Others have had similar problems. Once you have the lock plate properly inlet, you fit the other lock components into the stock just like with any other lock. I use Prussian Blue and a sharp chisel.
Thank you

The L&R lock uses a flat mainspring that curves back on itself in place of the coil mainspring used in the GPR.
This flat spring requires removing quite a bit of wood in the bottom of the lock mortise for clearance.

The L&R lock uses a flat mainspring that curves back on itself in place of the coil mainspring used in the GPR.
This flat spring requires removing quite a bit of wood in the bottom of the lock mortise for clearance.
Here are a couple of photographs showing difference in the springs @Zonie is referring to between Lyman and L&R locks. Don’t have any issue with the wood removal required, but can’t say the same about the L&R lock plate’s crappy fit with the factory mortise. Unfortunately they are the only ones I am aware of that are making replacement locks for Lyman and TC.
1616463384667.jpeg
1616463429077.jpeg

Back