• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Repairing stock with woodburned vandalism

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good evening All, picked up a rifle a while back which has suffered some vandalism at the hands of an “artist” with an electric wood burner (sigh). Goofy Indian hydro-glyferics and what-have-you.

A number of solutions have occurred to me, such as sanding, bleaching, etc., all of which will probably not completely remove the damage. Any recommendations on how to proceed, and especially, what kinds of stain will finish hiding the Michel Angelo foolishness to an acceptable degree?

Thanks for the help, fellow art critics!

Enjoy your evening,

don

Don't have any advice for you, I'd just like to see what it looks like. As my uncle would say, "it's a strange roarin' goes through some people's heads".

Maybe like a bad tattoo, you will have to cover the 'art' with other art. Depending on the depth of the burn you may have to live with it in some form or if the burning iron wasn't too hot and pressed in the wood fibers more than burned them, you might be able to steam some of the impressions out with a damp cloth and a hot iron.

I'd go at it with cabinet scrapers....a lot of stocks could lose a little wood anyway. Sand it then stain with tannic acid and iron nitrate. I think the heat reactive stain may hide any remaining "art" better than a wipe on stain. They darken it further with stains if needed....maybe even some bone black and give it an aged appearance. If you get can a nice dark color it'll hide whatever's left or at least it'll be very faint under the finish.

Back