• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Renegade Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've come across a TC Renegade flintlock. It's a 50 cal and I think it's a later model as it has a 6 digit serial number. Any of you flintlock shooters have any thoughts on one of these. I had a Hawken in 50 cal at one time but sold it. Wish I would of hung on to it now. Thx Al

that's the first flintlock I owned ... bought it used in a gun shop neat Ft. Bragg when I was stationed there. the little rifle has served me well, and has never failed (if I hold up my end of the bargain). it has the newer style lock on it, and I've since pieced a new stock, a new (to me) percussion lock, a rusted out .54 which was bored to .62 smooth and refitted with a flint breechplug, and a new (to me) .54 percussion... so now I have the original flinter with a spare .62 smooth barrel, and a pieces parts cap lock in .54.

you may encounter folks who look down their noses at these rifles as not very HC/PC, and so on... I, on the other hand, completely enjoy mine, and I wish you the best of luck with yours.

make good smoke!

(p.s. - check out Dutch Schoultz' method - here's a link: http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/
this is the best money you can spend on an accessory... if you follow his instructions, yor groups will shrink!

Last edited by a moderator:
They work well...
Have one of each in 54-58-62 cal.
Added green mountain drop in barrels.
Chambers white lighting vent liners.
Davis deer slayer set triggers.
Brass ram rods.
mounted rear tang peep sights...made of brass.
Slimmed them down and added a black horn for end caps.
Browned and carded back the hardware.
Get good flints and powder...Make good smoke!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Hawken and a Renegade in flint. I still have the Hawken, but a friend talked me out of the Renegade. The Renegade was a later one, with the QLA counter-bored muzzle, but I had no trouble loading round balls. I shot 65 to 70 grains of fffg Goex, with ffffg in the pan, and it was a good and accurate shooter. My friend was collecting one of each TC's, and was unable to find a nice Renegade/Flintlock, so I needed to thin the herd, and let him buy it.

Nice size for hunting, and nice way to get into flintlock shooting. Flintlock TC's are hard to find, around the area I live.

Renegade stock stripped and Tung Oiled, TC triggers, browned GM 1" x .54 IBS barrel and L&R RPL flintlock. 90 gr Goex FFg, .535 ball and .024 denim. I'm still trying lubes.

I rate it as very high quality for a production gun lock. Have 2 TC locks that never miss a beat and I shoot them a lot. They both have the newer hammer and frizzen though. It's a different lock entirely with the new designed hammer and better quality frizzen. It's easy on flints; has good speed and doesn't hit so hard it disrupts the shot. If it's clean it fires 99.99% of the time. I swapped out the sear return spring with a very light spring giving it an outstanding light no creep single trigger. Both are on the TC Pa Hunter model. Love the locks and now that TC is gone I wish I had a few more.

Never had the Renegade model but I hear that they shoot well. Mine are 1/66 twist and Renegade is 1/48. TC's are going up in price on the used market and few are selling them around here. I have an ad up on a couple of forums for purchase of another PA Hunter; non QLA; no hits and tons of looks.

Al Rittenhouse said:
I've come across a TC Renegade flintlock. It's a 50 cal and I think it's a later model as it has a 6 digit serial number. Any of you flintlock shooters have any thoughts on one of these. I had a Hawken in 50 cal at one time but sold it. Wish I would of hung on to it now. Thx Al

Just my opinion, the Renegade is the modern day analog to the various jaegers. It's a serious hunter / killer of a rifle.

The hammer and frizzen on newer locks are black. The older locks are color case "look"...on the hammer and frizzen, just like the lock plate.

Thanks HW. So given a choice would you buy the newer lock over the older one. I have found a couple one with the newer lock and one with the older lock. The asking price on the gun with the newer lock is a bit more. Just wonder if a guy should stay away from the older lock. Thanks Al

I would stay away from the older lock. The one I had in the mid 80s was terrible. UNLESS it is real cheap then u can afford to get a newer TC or an L&R.

The newer designed hammer/frizzen is night and day different from the older design. I about gave up on TC locks entirely until I sent them in for a free newly designed lock. My 2 new locks never fail and keep going my whole range session of maybe 30 shots or so.

The old lock was horrible. It failed to spark a lot. It ate flints like mad. I once clicked on a deer 4 times before it went off. I still got the deer though. LOL. After 3 practice shots my aim was really tight. I hated that lock.

I don't know if the new hammers and frizzen can be bought from TC now or not. I know they don't make anything traditional anymore and Smith and Wesson bought them out.

The new locks really are very reliable; as good as any I have used.

The TC I am looking at was bought in 2001 and used one time. Its like brand new in the box. I really can't tell from the pics if the lock is case hardened or not. If it is it doesn't have much to it. The serial number is in the 500000's. It sparks real good according to the owner. It also is the QLA muzzle. Are there any after makes drop in locks that would upgrade the gun? Al

If it's QLA, then it's the later one. Also 2001 would put it, as a later gun.

The geometry and hardness of the frizzen, will make it a better rifle.

Track has a 'drop in,' but you will need to do a bit of inletting (the replacement lock has the usual spring, whereas the T/C locks have coil springs).

As regards the problems with "old" t/c locks, my experience is much different - mine never gave me the sorts of problems described ... maybe I was very lucky ... at any rate the cock and frizzen have had their geometry tweaked and work better.

were I to splurge, I'd spend money on a "deerstalker" trigger rather than a replacement lock

just one guy's advice. free, and no doubt well worth the cost.

I looked around today on the net to see what kind of parts are available for TC's and found almost nothing is out there anymore. That being the case I would spend the extra money and just buy a Lyman. I bought a Deerstalker in .54 caliber a few years back and it's been a very good rifle. TC traditional stuff is going to be hard to get. I don't want to move you off your purchase but repair parts for TC may or may not be an issue.

L&R Locks has made a replacement lock for TC's and I hear they work well but there is a little bit of wood removal to make them fit. Those replacement locks are a little thin on supply as well.

Check out the Lyman guns before you buy. They have a short Deerstalker, a Trade rifle and the Great Plains longer barrel rifle.

I may end up with a GPR Flint. Never can tell. I did have a cap in one at one time. The only thing I didn't care for on the Lyman was the sights. Im sure that could be addressed just never looked into it. Ive always been a TC fan just did buy a renegade cap lock in 54 caliber and its not seen many rounds if any at all. Its like brand new. Im going to try and purchase this Hawken Flintlock and give it a try. Thanks to all who have responded. Al

Back