• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Renegade barrel .62 smoothbore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an extra .50 Renegade barrel that is in nice shape, but I was wondering if anyone had ever had one made into a .62 or 20ga smoothie? Bob Hoyt says no problem, but is it practical? Has anyone ever tried it?
I might even be willing to trade for a rusty Renegade barrel, so as not to destroy this good one.

I had an issue .56SB T/C Renegade (smoothie) in which I used PRBs for deer & 28ga shot cups ( #7 shot with an over shot wad) for small game.

AFAIK, all Renegades had barrels of the same thickness - so I wonder why T/C didn't do a larger smooth bore.

Mr Hoyt finished a renegade barrel for me to 20 gauge. I had it done for a turkey and grouse gun. It throws a decent pattern to 20 yards or so. I have not got it dialed in yet as I got it shortly before turkey season this year. Best of luck on yours. I look forward to shooting mine more.

The Renegade .56 calibre smoothbore kicks pretty good, even with a moderate hunting load…a full blown turkey load, and I know it’s only a 20 gauge…could be mind altering…

Wondering if that thin a barrel would make the gun light enough to swing nicely? I already have a .54 Renegade that I deer hunt with, very accurate with RB. It would be nice to be able to swap barrels and shoot birds, rabbits and squirrels with the same gun.

Attachments

• 4DEB1A40-30FC-49F1-B09A-722B8E763D38.jpeg
    4DEB1A40-30FC-49F1-B09A-722B8E763D38.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 18
I had an Investarm Hawken that came with both a 50 cal rifled & a 20 ga smoothbore barrel from the factory. As I already had 20 & 12 ga SXS shotguns I foolishly sold the 20 ga barrel. Made for a nice 'change barrel' hunting gun. You should have enough barrel thickness to put a jug choke in it for the tighter patterns preferred for turkey. The rifle stock & fit would be perfect for non-flying targets & the rear sight can help you "zero" your pattern. I say go for it!!

Got two flinter .61 bore Green Mountain drop-ins in TC's, 32" long.
The one rifled by Mr. Hoyt is the TC Hawken named "The Rattler" 'cause what it does to windows.

I had an Investarm Hawken that came with both a 50 cal rifled & a 20 ga smoothbore barrel from the factory. As I already had 20 & 12 ga SXS shotguns I foolishly sold the 20 ga barrel. Made for a nice 'change barrel' hunting gun. You should have enough barrel thickness to put a jug choke in it for the tighter patterns preferred for turkey. The rifle stock & fit would be perfect for non-flying targets & the rear sight can help you "zero" your pattern. I say go for it!!

I think I bought that 20 gauge barrel from you. I have not shot it with shot yet, but it shoots a PRB well.

Im fixing to send a rusty renegade barrel to hoyt myself. Ive got lots of smoothbores but figure id do a 20 percussion.

Darn, you guys are tempting me. I picked up a .50 Renegade for a too cheap price. I don’t need another.50 but the bore is pretty good except some light rust in about the first inch at the muzzle. BTW it doesn’t have sights so maybe just a bead up front if smooth bored?

Latest posts

Back