Rendezvous

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Rifleman1776

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
JiminTexas said:
I have read somewhere, altho9ugh I can't remember exactly where, that there was a rendezvous in 1841 and again in 1842 although they were rather impromptu gatherings of some indepenent traders and merchants and not sponsored by any of the great fur trading conglomerants. Does anyone have any further information about these?
Rumor has it some rendezvous are held at various locations around the country to this day. :wink:

LaBonte

Passed On
Reaction score
JiminTexas said:
I have read somewhere, altho9ugh I can't remember exactly where, that there was a rendezvous in 1841 and again in 1842 although they were rather impromptu gatherings of some indepenent traders and merchants and not sponsored by any of the great fur trading conglomerants. Does anyone have any further information about these?
Yes there were two in 1841/42 - both IIRC held in or near Brown's Hole NW Colorado - the difference is these two were not supported by the fur trade companies i.e. The American Fur Company (and the later incarnations such Pratte, Choteau, et al) who had been the major supplier of goods since 1834/5

Brown's Hole had a trading post called FT Davy Crockett which was run by the Robideaux family

By 1840 there was something like 60+ trading posts established in the Rocky Mtn/Western Plains area so there was no real need for the rendezvous anymore.

Dale Lilly

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have that book and it really goes into detail not only about the rendezvous, but it also covers about the trip to the sites by the fur buyer caravans and early homesteaders heading west.

It even quotes prices for goods at the 1825 rendezvous, below is a snipit from the price list.
Great book.

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
I have that book and it really goes into detail not only about the rendezvous, but it also covers about the trip to the sites by the fur buyer caravans and early homesteaders heading west.

It even quotes prices for goods at the 1825 rendezvous, below is a snipit from the price list.
Interesting looking at those prices
Powder at two dollars a pound coffee at a buck fifty. So coffee is about 3/4 the price of powder.
$20-25 today would make coffee $15 to 17 that’s a might high but I’ve seen more then one pound in that range.
Flints a dollar a dozen, 1/2 the price of a pound of powder. I would like to get a dozen good flint today for $12.50.
Blanket $9, the price of four and a half pounds of powder. $140 today(?) not bad.
Salt is a might pricey.
Good tobacco is about $50 today. A little Lower in relationship to the cost of powder
All and all many cost are consistent. Some pretty good some shockers.

Del Gue

32 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm fixing to order the book, but I have kind of a side question.

Do y'all know of any maps that can be bought ref the fur trade era? Maybe a wall map or something of the sort, or if not a wall map, any map?

I would verily like to get one.

Stony Broke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just drove through Green River two days ago, and spent some time while driving trying to educate the wife some on rendezvous odds and ends. It was very early in the morning so I didn't stop anywhere, but would have liked to. I always have liked that part of the country.