Quantcast

Rendezvous

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Claude Mathis

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
(I forget where I found this and I can't vouch for it's accuracy) :)

From 1825 through 1840, the mountain men looked fondly on the coming up mountain rendezvous each year. It was the social and business event of the year for the fur trappers and traders.

Instead of having a permanent trading post, it was Jedediah Smith who convinced William Ashley to bring a caravan of supplies from St. Louis and meet the trappers at Henry's Fork on the Green River in July of 1825 for the first rendezvous.

At each mountain rendezvous camp, the location for the next years mountain rendezvous camp was announced. After the business of trading the beaver pelts for the essentials of life in the mountains, the mountain men got down to the serious business of gambling, drinking, telling tall tales, target shooting and general socializing.

Most of the men left the mountain rendezvous camp with little money for what good was money in the isolated world that they lived in. More important were their horse, rifle, string of traps and a fresh supply of tobacco.

Leaving, they would go to find new beaver streams, hole up in the winter in their isolated world, and hope to live to return to the next mountain rendezvous camp.

Year and Location of known mountain rendezvous camps:

1825 Henry's Fork on the Green River
1826 Cache Valley
1827 Bear Lake
1828 Bear Lake
1829 Pierre's Hole
1830 Popo Agie River
1831 Cache Valley
1832 Pierre's Hole
1833 Green River
1834 Tributary on the Green River
1835 Green River
1836 Green River
1837 Green River
1838 Popo Agie River
1839 Green River
1840 Horse Creek

mmahlock

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I can confirm that the 1827/28 Rendezvous took place at Bear Lake because that is where I grew up.

Otter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
The book "Rocky Mountain Rendezvous" by Fred R. Gowans, published in 1985, is a good source of information about the rendezvous from 1825 to 1840. Mr. Gowans is (was?) a professor of history at BYU. The book is compiled from government reports, journal exerpts, maps and paintings he researched for this book. Here are the locations of the rendezvous per his book -

1825 Randavouze Creek
1826 Willow Valley
1827 Sweet Lake
1828 Sweet Lake
1829 Popo Agie - Pierre's Hole
1830 Wind River
1831 Willow Valley
1832 Pierre's Hole
1833 Green River
1834 Ham's Fork
1835 Green River
1836 Green River
1837 Green River
1838 Wind River
1839 Green River
1840 Green River

The names of the locations from Gowans' book and the list Claude has set down vary a bit, most likely because of how the locals and others refer to the locations. In all likelyhood, they are the same places. Gowans' book is a good read and has a lot of info not available elswhere or without much research. It is still available in paperback through Amazon or maybe the national book chains.

Watch yer topknot . . .

redwing

58 Cal.
Reaction score
The 1830 site near Riverton, Wyoming has changed very little. This site belongs to the state of Wyoming but is run by a group of BP folks. A real fun Rondy is held here each year.
The site at Bear Lake is public beaches and condos every where. Too bad Utah didn't save this one.

Same list, but the latter has names used at the time. Bear Lake was Sweet Lake, Cache Valley was Willow Valley, etc.

Sean

Yup on the condos. Ick... Beautiful lake. There are so few natural lakes in the West that putting condos around it seems like a crime to me.

Sean

Walks Alone

45 Cal.
Reaction score
FWIW, here is the list we went by when I was active in most of the Rocky Mountain Rendezvous and GS Pow Wow's from the early 70's on.

I traveled to all of these locations at least once back then (some several times)... for voo's, trekking, pictures, etc, and have a few trade beads, gewgaws, forged pieces and a hawk head I found while in the areas.

1825 - WY...Henry's Fork west of Green River
1826 - UT...Cache (or Willow) Valley west of Bear Lake
1827 - UT...South End of Sweet (or Bear) Lake
1828 - UT...South End of Sweet (or Bear) Lake
1829 #1 - WY...Popo Agie River near Lander
1929 #2 - ID...Pierre's Hole near Tetonia
1830 - WY...Wind River & Popo Agie River near Riverton
1831 - UT...Cache (or Willow) Valley west of Bear Lake
1832 - ID...Pierre's Hole near Tetonia
1833 - WY...Green River & Horse Creek (Fort Bonneville)
1834 - WY...Strung out - Ham's Fork & Green River
1835 - WY...Green River & Horse Creek (Fort Bonneville)
1836 - WY...Green River & Horse Creek (Fort Bonneville)
1837 - WY...Green River & Horse Creek (Fort Bonneville)
1838 - WY...Wind River & Popo Agie River near Riverton
1839 - WY...Green River & Horse Creek (Fort Bonneville)
1840 - WY...Green River & Horse Creek (Fort Bonneville)

WA

redwing

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Yes it is "YUK". The south end of Bear Lake at Rendezvous Bay is a beach covered with sail boats and lined with condos. Across the street is a Dinner Theater. When you drive by this place, its hard to imagine its history. This is a blow you away beautiful lake. The Idaho and Utah border cross the lake. The Bear River feeds the lake and ends up at Willard Bay in the Great Salt Lake. :thumbsup:

chipper

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey Red Wing, are you from Riverton? I grew up in Lander. I've been to the Riverton thing only once now since I'm a Greeny now. I sure miss the place though.

Regards
Loyd Shindelbower
Loveland Colorado

redwing

58 Cal.
Reaction score
The 1838 is really on a come back. Travis Bennett, Big Ted and the guys are bringing it back. As you know summer on the Wind River can an does get very hot. Last year she hit 107*.
No I live down in the SW corner of old Wyoming on a bluff above the Bear River. Too bad you are trapped in the "Greeny State". Maybe you can make it home some day. Do you know "Othern" on this forum? He was trapped down there for 20 years made it home last spring. Hey guys were joke'in we like our Colorado friends, just leave some of our lakes for us to fish. :rotf:

Pahaska

36 Cal.
Reaction score
YEAR AND LOCATION OF THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN RENDEZVOUS, 1825 - 1840

* 1825 Henry's Fork of the Green River, Wyoming
* 1826 Cache Valley (near present Hyrum), Utah
* 1827 Bear Lake, Utah
* 1828 Bear Lake, Utah
* 1829 Upper Popo Agie, near Lander, Wyoming
* 1830 Wind River headwaters near Riverton, Wyoming.
* 1831 Supply train did not reach the rendezvous area in time, so no rendezvous was held.
* 1832 Pierre's Hole, Idaho
* 1833 Green River near Horse Creek, Wyoming
* 1834 Ham's Fork, Wyoming
* 1835 Green River near Horse Creek, Wyoming
* 1836 Green River near Horse Creek, Wyoming
* 1837 Green River near Horse Creek, Wyoming
* 1838 Wind River at the mouth of Popo Agie Wyoming
* 1839 Green River near Horse Creek, Wyoming
* 1840 Green River near Horse Creek, Wyoming. This was the last of the great Rocky Mountain Rendezvous.

JiminTexas

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have read somewhere, altho9ugh I can't remember exactly where, that there was a rendezvous in 1841 and again in 1842 although they were rather impromptu gatherings of some indepenent traders and merchants and not sponsored by any of the great fur trading conglomerants. Does anyone have any further information about these?

DVanVorous

36 Cal.
Reaction score
JiminTexas said:
I have read somewhere, altho9ugh I can't remember exactly where, that there was a rendezvous in 1841 and again in 1842 although they were rather impromptu gatherings of some indepenent traders and merchants and not sponsored by any of the great fur trading conglomerants. Does anyone have any further information about these?
IIRC Osborne Russell mentions 2 after 1840 near the Snake that he attended in his diary of the years 1838-1848.

Keep yer powder dry,
D.

Your'e one fortunate individual to get to visit all these historic sites. When I retire my wish is to do as many Rondy's as possible. I've been to Montana, Wyoming, Utah, & Colorado. It is most certainly Gods Country!

MikeChapin

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I used to have some land about 10 miles west of the old Fort Bonneville site about 10 miles west of Pinedale, WY. At the time, I think, it was on a private ranch. I don't know the status now since the Pinedale area has turned into poor man's Jackson Hole. The poor adjective is a relative term since you have to be a millionare to afford it rather than have 10 million needed to live in Jackson.

I dropped into the 1838 last year. I didn't get there soon enough to do any shooting but had a good time hitting the traders and seeing old friends. The biggest shock was seeing Big Ted clean shaven. He flipped me off when I told him to grow it back to save all the mirrors in camp. Some people just can't take any criticism. :grin:

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
Otter said:
The book "Rocky Mountain Rendezvous" by Fred R. Gowans, published in 1985, is a good source of information about the rendezvous from 1825 to 1840.
I have that book and it really goes into detail not only about the rendezvous, but it also covers about the trip to the sites by the fur buyer caravans and early homesteaders heading west.

It even quotes prices for goods at the 1825 rendezvous, below is a snipit from the price list.

Coffee: $1.50 pound
Sugar: $1.50 pound
Tobacco: $3.00 pound
Powder: $2.00 pound
Fish Hooks: $1.50 dozen
Flints: $1.00 dozen
3 point blanket: $9.00

rawhide

45 Cal.
Reaction score
there was a show on the history chanle a while back on the mountain men. showed all kinds of neat stuff. :thumbsup: once in a while its on again. great look into history.

Rick Son

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Is i not pronounced Popougia? That what my mountain man buddy says anyway~Chuck Streeper~he used to go to Wy.every year..

wayne terry

40 Cal.
Reaction score
You can watch the whole documentary, history channel the mountain men on youtube for free

Latest posts