• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rendezvous Tents

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In most cases, if it's made from white canvas, it is acceptable at a Rendezvous (regardless whether or not the design is period-appropriate or historically-correct). Check with the rules of the event(s) you plan to attend.

You really can't go wrong with a wedge tent (with our without a bell-back).

Tentsmiths, Panther Primitives & RK Lodges all deal in tents. Our two are from Tentsmiths who have a high quality product and a very informative website. Most any white canvas tent will be ok at a rendezvous - juried historical events require a tent that works for the time period and geographical area of the event. Size and ease of transport & set up will vary based on your personal needs/wants - a simple wedge works for 1-2 people & short events (& a wedge is acceptable for virtually all events) but if you are bringing the whole family or a group to a longer event, you will want something bigger. If ladies are involved, they and you will be much happier if the tent is big enough for them to get dressed standing up as womens clothing tends to have a lot of pull over items.

With all respect.
Back-up a little,
Go back to this section "Camp and Trail Gear",,
scroll down to the bottom of the page and find
"Show Posts Age:"
reset that to All,
, and then scroll the back pages for several years to see this very topic/question asked many times.
I suggest doing so because when you see the same answers many-many times through many years,,
,,they tend to have a lot of validity.

Best advice,, don't skimp, go to rendezvous and ask those folks that have tents your interested in about their experience and cost,, you'll find most are willing to share with you freely.
I own 3 from RK,, several friends have nice stuff from Panther I can attest to those two suppliers tents have longevity and high re-sale value when properly cared for.

Necchi said:
Best advice,, don't skimp, go to rendezvous and ask those folks that have tents your interested in about their experience and cost,, you'll find most are willing to share with you freely.

Bingo!.... :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Also, Consider set-up and tear down as well as transportation....Tee pees for example are way cool buy are a pain to set-up and haul.

Good point!.. :thumbsup:

Considering how expensive they are, you definitely want to store them inside. So they last.

The last poles I had I cut and peeled them myself...lots of work and blisters I took care of them like they were made of glass.

Nothing beats a tipi, warm in winter, cool in summer and easy on the eyes. However pia to transport and store, a rendezvous will accept one but it’s limited where you can go.
The most correct style is a wedge, and that’s great if your alone or your misses or family is with you. We are still a twenty first century people reinacting an earlier life. And our hobby should be fun for all and never a chore.

kbbgood said:
Who makes tents acceptable in Rendezvous and where can I get them?

Check out Blockade Runner, they have a good selection and great prices.

Here's a pic of my 10 x 12 Wall tent .

D8_AF5_EB9_F6_FC_4248_9_F39_D44_C2_E25975_B.jpg

Smo, Your picture brings to light something we should discuss if one looking at buying a tent.....That is an awning. An awning is just as important in my eyes. It double or triples your living space, provides shade, a place to hang out and cook, as well as rain and wind protection.....and additional privacy.

Awnings.... :thumbsup:

That is not a fly/awning sold by Blockade runner.

They have them but that is a Painters drop cloth 12' X 15" I think is what it measures.

It is very nice as a shade during the Summer months as well as shelter from the rain.

I simply installed some grommets where the poles attach to the tarp.

I would not recommend a wall tent for one person, lol

I can set mine up by myself , but it's not an easy task. They require a lot of lumber as well.

Most Vous really have no criteria, I personally have a wonderful 1751 French bell wedge setup made by tentsmiths and a 16x14 awning made by Springvalley lodges. However... definitely think about setup. I love my lodge but hate setup and tear down after a event were you are tried and have to be on the road for multiple hours. This very situation made me explore alternatives.

I now have a Panther 7x7 tarp that is extremely versatile. Even in the rain I stay toasty dry and warm. With a GOOD trail tarp you can't go wrong starting out. With a little knowledge on different setup options you are covered. My favorite configuration is a lean-to.

Rendezvous oft advertise as being pre 1840. In reality what they are is old timey. You will find a lot of people who concentrate on all a particular time. You will also see a lot of not fully correct.
I try to keep a hc camp, but I don’t get my breechcloth in a wad when I see someone that’s out of date. People are on vacation after all and may not want to deal with the hassles of a true camp.
Your needs are the ones that count. So a pyramid or baker might fit your needs and your family needs. Should you go hc you will be welcomed to any event, sort of. A truly hc camp might not be acceptable to some events if it is too much out of date. A truly 1830 camp may not be accepted for an 1770 event, and vis a versa.

Tenngun, how do we know for sure about date camps, what it or ism't in date? Where can we find out what is and isn't?

The term is a "Juried" event meaning they adhere to a stricter code or time line and that info will be listed in the event flyer or posting. There is almost always contact info listed too,, someone you can call or email with questions about the event.

What’s advertised as a pre 1840 rendezvous is just that, sort of. It’s ”˜old timie’. And is long as the stuff isn’t glaringly out of date it’s acceptable. You will see a lot of folks that do a time and try to get it right, but other who have mismatched clothing and camping gear.
An event billed as such and such time may be more strict. An eastern event may have 1740-1800 at it, or it may be a French and Indian war event say or revolution ect. In this case you would be expected to match the times.
A western event might be more free, or more strict.
A tipi is the best possible tent, but they were not used in the east. Although barkcovered conical tents were made, they were not tipis. The round marquee was popular from the early to late eighteenth century but fell out of use later. The rectangle marquee lost popularity after the war of 1812 in America. Wedge tents were used by Vikings and Klondike good rushers and everyone in between. The wedge tent with a bell was more popular in eighteenth century in the mititary but fell out of use in the nineteenth.
Wall tents were more nineteenth century. Baker tents and pyramid tents became more popular later in time.
Wedges are about the only tent style that gives you universal acceptance. That or something done with random settings of canvas tarps.
So simple answer is what time do you want your tent. Are you only going to eastern or western events, strict, open or by invitation. Do you care if your tent matches your gun, cooking pots ect? Do you want something comfortable? Will it be just you or are you bringing a family?

Baker tents and pyramid tents became more popular later in time.

I know the pyramid is derided by many as not being 'authentic', primarily for the mountain man era. However, I have long thought (I know, that is not documentation) over the thousands of years before 1840 someone must have put a couple skins over a single pole to make shelter. I used a pyramid at non-juried ronnies for over 20 years and still have my scalp. I still believe it is the perfect shelter for one individual to set up.
BTW, Leonardo DiCaprio was in a scene under a small single pole shelter in the movie 'The Revenant'. So, if it was in the movies it must be authentic. :wink:

The wedge tent with a bell was more popular in eighteenth century in the mititary but fell out of use in the nineteenth.

Actually I have found that a "double-belled" wedge tent gives the larger room one often wants at a non-military event, fits from Medieval through Civil War, and..., is easily set up. To get the most out of the interior, one must use two poles from the corners at either end, to the corresponding end of the ridge pole, giving the owner a five-pole tent. Much less expensive and less time consuming than a walled tent or a marquis.

I have the 10x18'6"x8 size for market fairs, and such. Tentsmiths sells theirs as the Medieval version, but I've seen CW photographs with that style door.

LD

I wish photography had been invented centuries earlier....Because you never know what you'll see when looking through old photos. This one is from 1865

625af8b8b2afb8d8e0502dc89ae49321.jpg

Latest posts

Back