• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WANTED Rendevouz/Mountain Man Clothing Needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking for some period correct rendezvous, or mountain man clothing for the period of 1820-1850. I wear a large, or size 40 Coat and 32" X30" pants. Looking for a full outfit. Also moccasins, size 12. If you have any of this, please PM me.

Thanks!

OK to ask here. But, I recommend you not try to acquire everthing at once. The end result could be very disappointing and expensive. Many ronnys are open to the general public on weekends and allow modern clothing. This is a good time to visit all the various vendors and make selections when you see items that appeal to you. Outfitting yourself can get into some serious dollars. A little bit at a time eases the pain.

I have some buckskin leggings.
Nit Wit

Attachments

• thumbnail_20220323_195041.jpg
    thumbnail_20220323_195041.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 36
  • thumbnail_20220323_195052.jpg
    thumbnail_20220323_195052.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 35
It would be great if you could attend some rondys in your area and see what people are doing. In my area, most people and clubs are pretty low key. They don't really care what you wear and you won't get any static about your apparel. If you want to go all out frontiersman or walk around in jeans and a tshirt it's all good. There is one serious primitive event but their rules are clear and spelled out for everyone to read. Where are you, anyhow?

As Rifleman said you can get in to a lot and a while later find out it’s wrong, or missed matched.
Crazy Crow offers expensive clothing that is far from perfect, but matches general style. Townsend offers better made clothing and a little more variety.
When you get to an event there will often be sellers there that offer real good quality and widest variety.
Move slow.
do your research buy once

Where are you located? 1820-1850 mountain man type events will be mostly in the western states (Not all! some of you do not need to get hyperventilated).

As mentioned earlier, if you buy it all at once you will most likely end up replacing it all as you evolve and learn. Go to events, talk to people with knowledge, read, read, read.

Hello, I am looking for some period correct rendezvous, or mountain man clothing for the period of 1820-1850. I wear a large, or size 40 Coat and 32" X30" pants. Looking for a full outfit. Also moccasins, size 12. If you have any of this, please PM me.

Thanks!
If you are near St Louis, the Hawken Classic is taking place at the end of April, and vendors are scheduled to be there.
https://www.gemmermuzzleloadingclub...tm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-hawken-classic

Keep in mind where you want to go with an outfit.
Styles changed fast.
Most men wore Trousers, shirt,vest,coat and over coat. Looking at Millers paintings we see mostly skin. Looking at ledgers we see mostly cloth.
Buckskin clothing looks in Millers Paintings to be cut in White styles, not Indian styles. Ruxton tells us a MM might wear a crude shirt made of antalope skin by his own manufacturer. Although linen is mentioned first.
St Louis and Santa Fe both had tailors making skin clothing.
Most skin was braintanned, but true leather could be found.
Moccs were common, however we see shoes and boots in the ledgers. Rifleman 1776 tell a story of going to a mud-de-vous, and wearing his rubber boots with his outfit.
I’m sure MM were just as smart, so moccs on a sunny day, boots when knee deep in mud or snow

Was hoping to have something for that event.
About 25 years ago, on one of the internet muzzleloader forums, a thread topic was period attire for new to the hobby folks. I remember that white Dickies painters pants were mentioned as a starting point, along with a shirt typical of the era. As the new person gained experience and developed what direction they wanted to go with correct attire, they stopped using the painters pants. Also mentioned was cordoy pants, in brown, tan, green, etc. as “accepted” attire. The white pants could be dyed to a brown or tan color if so desired too.

Back