• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Removing the clean out plug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife and I have two TC Hawken 50 cal rifles and I’m thinking about removing the clean out plug on the snail . I took a small flat blade and attempted to remove the plug but I stopped and thought better to ask you guys about that plug as it seems very tight. I don’t want to mar the slot on that plug. I would like to run a pipe cleaner through the flash channel. Any ideas about removing that plug? Or is it really necessary?
Cheers😉😊

I have always removed the plugs as it makes cleaning that area a lot more efficient. When replacing the plug, I always just coat it good with bore butter and never have a problem removing the plug afterward. If your are tight, take a screwdriver and grind the blade to fit the screw perfectly. Place the barrel in a vise where you can put a lot of pressure downward on the screwdriver.

I’ve tried that with no results. I’m toying with the idea of heating the snail up with a small propane torch then trying a screwdriver again. Maybe some liquid wrench to loosen things up?

Yes I think that’s probably the best route to take. I’m not
Going to ruin these rifles. Thanks for the advice guys.

One of my rifles has a stuck screw. I buggered up the slot trying to get it out.
I remove the nipple when cleaning and use pipe cleaners to get into the flash channel. Works just as good doing it that way.

You need special tools to remove a breech plug, and a god barrel vise.

I have a barrel vise / jib that I use for my round and octagon barrels, this will keep them from marring up.

I take mine out maybe once a year, but I don’t recommend doing it often, there’s just no reason to.

I’ve had my TC Hawken for 40 years and never pulled that screw. I remove the nipple and then the barrel from the stock. I then put the breech end in a warm soapy water and pump water in and out of the nipple hole with a ramrod with a cleaning patch on the jag. I’ve rarely had a hang fire or failure to fire with that rifle. Leave the screw be.

By now @Trooper, you may have found other threads on the Forum with the subject "clean out screw" and have discovered that the little screw is not a "clean out screw" but a plug installed after the manufacturing process to create the flash channel from the nipple seat to the powder chamber. In fact that T/C "clean out screw caused T/C so many breech plug replacements under their life time warranty that the breech plug was redesigned to eliminate that screw and a plug was created on the other side of the breech.

Here's a link to the previous discussion:

TC Renegade unknown plug? | The Muzzleloading Forum

Back out the nipple a little bit if you still want to remove the screw, sometimes the screw is a little too long and binds on the nipple. I remove the screw occasionally but as was mentioned you don't have to, just remember to grease the threads if you do.

As said above in your particular case here with these rifles maybe it's not crucial to remove those since they may be stuck and you'll "create" a problem for yourself in dealing with them. It's up to you.

For those starting with a new gun or a gun that's not stuck like that it's a good idea to keep the screw lubed and use it at least occasionally for deep-cleaning now and then. I personally remove it every time (and lube the threads afterwards before I replace it) as I like that extra bit of "flow" when I vigorously pump hot soapy water through there.

Back