• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Removing Lead Oxide From Roundballs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncNZ

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been given 20+ packets of Hornady swaged round balls made sometime last centaury . Nice present but the balls are covered in a off white substance I believe to be lead oxide . This covering makes the balls very hard and , with no give in them difficult to load . I also think they are more toxic to handle than plain lead . I have tried tumbling them in my Lyman tumbler . to no avail , all that happens is they get a bit shiner .
Does any one have chemical or other method of removing this crust ?

If they are pure lead which they likely being swaged then the balls didn't harden. I doubt the CLR will remove the oxide but you might try tumbling them with a different media. Silica sand should remove it.
Do a google search

I just throw them into the pot and melt them down and make new bullets.
Handling frosty lead gives me the willies. That powder is the real deal toxic stuff. Lead Oxide. Not a good look.

(one thing I don't understand is how a box of them will eventually frost up in a few years, but I have an ingot of lead on my mantle that has sat there for 10 years and it shows not a trace of that powdered lead oxide)

I just throw them into the pot and melt them down and make new bullets.
Handling frosty lead gives me the willies. That powder is the real deal toxic stuff. Lead Oxide. Not a good look.

(one thing I don't understand is how a box of them will eventually frost up in a few years, but I have an ingot of lead on my mantle that has sat there for 10 years and it shows not a trace of that powdered lead oxide)
I wonder if it’s because the poured lead for the round ball has been fluxed? Maybe? I’ve never thought about it, but my ingots that I poured up probably 15 years ago or so look exactly like the day I poured them.
-Red, pondering the unknowable depths…

If they are pure lead which they likely being swaged then the balls didn't harden.
Agree. If soft made, they are still soft. Lots of good replies so far. Yes, handling is a small concern. Just do not put your hands to your mouth when handling and wash hands when finished. Personally, I would use as is or squirt with some WD-40 and don't fret over it.

I have cleaned other lead tipped bullets that got all white by putting into some vinegar. Cleaned them right up. I haven't done it with lead balls but don't see why not.

I agree , just don’t put hand to mouth and wash up when you’re done.it’s not like we’re making a meal of it. Pass the ketchup. LOL…

This covering makes the balls very hard and , with no give in them difficult to load
You didn't mention what caliber these balls are, but is it possible they're just a little too large a diameter for what you're trying to load them into? I.e. if they're .535 for use in a .54 cal, but you're used to .530's, then maybe they just seem "hard" because they're more difficult to load in your particular gun.

As for the lead oxide, I agree woth the oil & tumble, maybe wipe 'em after method. You could wear nitrile gloves if you are really averse to handling the oxide.

I have been given 20+ packets of Hornady swaged round balls made sometime last centaury . Nice present but the balls are covered in a off white substance I believe to be lead oxide . This covering makes the balls very hard and , with no give in them difficult to load . I also think they are more toxic to handle than plain lead . I have tried tumbling them in my Lyman tumbler . to no avail , all that happens is they get a bit shiner .
Does any one have chemical or other method of removing this crust ?
Rub them with detergent in hot water and rub them down with WD-40. Let the dry and wipe off and go shoot them. They are fine.
Have fun,

Rub them with detergent in hot water and rub them down with WD-40.
Exactly, and Thank you.
It ain't that complicated. Just toss'm in a bucket of soapy water, slosh it around and rinse.
Pour'm out to dry, that'll wash off the oxide, but the already rusting ball needs some help too stop rusting, so a spray with wd-40.
If ya tumble in a medium, your going to completely contaminate the media with lead oxide and anything else that goes in after!
Wash, rinse, dry, spray and shoot.

Thanks for your ideas , as I have said before I am allergic to lead so I will buy some quality gloves and a dust mask and will try the vinegar idea first as there is no exposure to lead dust that way , if that doesn't work I am going to try the silica sand as I have about 5 pounds sitting in my workshop . I have a lot of H&N ( Germany ) swaged balls in a lot of calibers , they are about 30 years old and look new , I think they were glazed in graphite when made . I have weighed these German balls and there is no detectable weight variation in each caliber .

Back