• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Removing Breech Plug - Round Barrel Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckskinn

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I'm finally getting some energy after my bout with covid. So decided to start on the Chambers English Fowler and I'm stuck on step one. Removing the breech plug... Unlike the others I've build this on is round, which makes it a bit tougher. I've put in vise and it just spins, taper doesn't help any either. Already boogered it up a bit so figured I'd see what ideas you guys have before going further

Thanks!

Last edited:
To grip a round barrel make square form that the barrel fits threw. Cut a hole in a piece of card board that fits tightly to the barrel at about 3” from the breech. Place tablet backing on either side to make a divided form. You want to have two jaws that fit the barrel. Pour lead into this form to make these jaws. Once cool clamp the barrel in these jaws very tightly then turn the breech out.
I do this often so I made aluminum forms for reuse but the idea is the same, a photo may help.
90768CA6-9BAE-4D89-9FD3-A9B2D42E2EB5 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Last edited:

Attachments

• 5959267C-9E53-402D-B380-C75D44688F64.png
    5959267C-9E53-402D-B380-C75D44688F64.png
    414.5 KB · Views: 36
"I've put in vise and it just spins"

Uggh!

You can make hardwood blocks that fit the barrel closely. Maple is best. Apply rosin the the blocks. Get it at the sporting good for baseball player and weight lifters. That will hold the barrel from spinning. You really need a barrel vice. You also need a plug wrench.

IF you are not equipped and knowledgeable leave the plug alone.

Thanks for all the ideas. I tried the 2x4 and a hole saw method with some chalk and I got her. Ridiculously tight and it has an R on the barrel, so... There's one character mark that might be too deep to buff out, but I can live with that...

Hi Buckskinn,
Remember you will be filing a flat on the side that mates with the lock. That flat will help you hold the barrel in a vise from then on.

dave

Back