• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

remington or colt?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yea im 6ft 2 240lbs even carrying a 5 lb pistola around wouldnt be a problem i just never had a walker cross my mind i might have to save a little longer, it takes a while sticking a dollar or two in a jug every chance you get! if it wernt for the 7 grandkids living out here and my wifes horses{theres a reason their called hayburners!} i could get it now but the deer got a reprieve till november so theres still is plenty of time i do enjoy everyones opinions on these pistolas and hope thread carries a while longer so as to hear from more folks on which they prefer and more importantly why! phew my fingers tired

A Walker was made for a guy your size.

If you can't kill them, the smoke will scare them to death.

btw..I piece of rawhide tied around the barrel and loading arm will keep it from falling. There's a more involved way to fix it, but the rawhide is easy and works great.

yea i was just lookin at a pic of one as was wonderin why it didnt have a latch for the loading lever? i guess if ya run out of lead you can stab em with the spike! :hmm:

Not the best design for the loading lever. It was improved for the later Dragoon model.

Get the man size Walker and a piece of rawhide.

I wouldn't waste the time reloading my Walker, I'd just grab the 3rd Model Dragoon on the other hip and keep blastin' till the beastie gave-up the ghost :wink: .

Now if I wanted to really hunt them, my M-1 Garand with 180 grain .30-06 hunting soft points would do the job nicely.

east texas said:
point taken but the reason i need a revolver is 6 shots i shot a rooter in the trap last year wit a 45/70 buffalo classic right in the head it sure was mad! had 4 hogs in the trap had 3 bullets had to call son in law down with his 45 to finfih 2 of them off sometimes they dont know their dead , and they run in little herds out here what i would really like to have with me is a couple grenades! :rotf:

The man who traps hogs for me has trapped for over 30 years, he does not carry a gun when running his traps.

I am in the woods 200 days a year in East Texas. I work cows in the woods, repair fence, haul hay, spray weeds, and general ranch work. I have been doing this since 1964 and have never been bothered by hogs at any time.

We came into a group of hogs running with the cows yesterday, they all ran off when the truck was middle of the cows and hogs. This happens each time I find hogs.

I have more concern about being hurt by the cows than hogs.

In all honesty, you are more apt to be hurt by lightening than by a hog.

Get the pistol you like, which fits your hand and not what others think.

Would you let them select your wife?

Nah, buy what you wish.

hey, where in east tex you live? ive seen some mean and agressive hogs around the crockett area where i live and have trapped hogs out here and personally i would NEVER get near the traps without a gun. man ive seen them things trying to chew through those traps!ive known people tusked and put up in trees {NOT JUST CAMP FIRE STORIES} if your out here in east tex then im sure youve read about the hog killen contest by counties here ? big prizes for most,biggest hogs etc? i have a very healthy respect for them critters and live so far out that medical attn,is not right down the street . howd you get so lucky as to get to spend 200 days year in the woods? need a helper?

I can walk the mountains everyday of my life and never be bothered by bears or mountain lions.

Yet, every now and then someone is attacked.

Better to be safe than stupid.

east texas said:
hey, where in east tex you live? ive seen some mean and agressive hogs around the crockett area where i live and have trapped hogs out here and personally i would NEVER get near the traps without a gun. man ive seen them things trying to chew through those traps!ive known people tusked and put up in trees {NOT JUST CAMP FIRE STORIES} if your out here in east tex then im sure youve read about the hog killen contest by counties here ? big prizes for most,biggest hogs etc? i have a very healthy respect for them critters and live so far out that medical attn,is not right down the street . howd you get so lucky as to get to spend 200 days year in the woods? need a helper?

I am not a long ways from you and have a close friend who lives near you.

I kill alot of hogs each year. In my experiences, I have never been bothered by a hog. We work fence in deep bottoms with hog sign all around us, you do not see them most of the time.

Hogs are as afraid of you as anything.

I hunted with one of the top hog hunters in Texas in the middle 1980s. He hunted exclusively with dogs with wore tracking collars so he could find the dogs when they hit deep canyons. He hunted hogs when it was not popular, mine went No. 3 in the record books.

During lunch, the conversation swung to hogs and their nasty temperament which he said is vastly rumored. He said hogs poor attitude for the most part is rumor. He said he hunted 5 days a week
and has very few problems. The man made his living hunting hogs and mountain lions in Sanderson County in far West Texas, if anyone knew critters it was him.

I work with the hog trapper a lot. We load hogs from the traps to what is called a "getter", a trap like thing on a trailer. I have never feared for my safety.

If I was really concerned about hogs and safety, my wife would not be allowed to walk fence during the winter.

RDE

My concern is not Lions, Tigers, Hogs and Bears in the woods, it's the folks which cruise the back roads.

If I felt things were unsafe from critters, my wife would not be allowed to go into the woods alone. I feel safer in the woods than I do in downtown Houston or Chicago.

In reflection, folks buy a pistol. They want it, and use critters to justify the purchase.

I have in the past, I know and I have been there.

The only animals I fear in the woods are ones who are rabid and one type of man.

The man type are pot farmers who sometimes use the National Forest areas to grow their product and they can be rather nasty.

No, I haven't come across any of them and I'd rather not.

Richard Eames said:
My concern is not Lions, Tigers, Hogs and Bears in the woods, it's the folks which cruise the back roads.

If I felt things were unsafe from critters, my wife would not be allowed to go into the woods alone. I feel safer in the woods than I do in downtown Houston or Chicago.

In reflection, folks buy a pistol. They want it, and use critters to justify the purchase.

I have in the past, I know and I have been there.

I guess I was going by rumors. I have no experience with hogs.

I do carry bear spray when i'm just scouting though. You never know when you'll get between bear cubs and a sow by accident.

Zonie said:
The only animals I fear in the woods are ones who are rabid and one type of man.

The man type are pot farmers who sometimes use the National Forest areas to grow their product and they can be rather nasty.

Rabid animals, we have skunks which are rabid according to the paper, just have never seen one.

In our part of the country, the concern is someone tresspassing, they are armed and you have no idea whom you are dealing with.

We drive older vehicles with guns racks with rifles in them for all to see, no doubt we are armed. Not a threat, just so a person knows the rules and the boundary to start with.

When I was a kid walking to the deer blind in the dark, I imagined there was some kind of animal behind each tree waiting to get me. It finally dawned on me, the only thing to fear was falling over a tree root and hurting my gun.

In all honesty, I think folks like a bit of fear from the unknown. It makes them feel good. A nice pistol just makes you feel better, if that thing in the dark might consider munching on you.

Richard Eames said:
Zonie said:

Rabid animals, we have skunks which are rabid according to the paper, just have never seen one.

In our part of the country, the concern is someone tresspassing, they are armed and you have no idea whom you are dealing with.

We drive older vehicles with guns racks with rifles in them for all to see, no doubt we are armed. Not a threat, just so a person knows the rules and the boundary to start with.

When I was a kid walking to the deer blind in the dark, I imagined there was some kind of animal behind each tree waiting to get me. It finally dawned on me, the only thing to fear was falling over a tree root and hurting my gun.

In all honesty, I think folks like a bit of fear from the unknown. It makes them feel good. A nice pistol just makes you feel better, if that thing in the dark might consider munching on you.

It's not like it never happens.
http://jasperwildlife.com/Fatal-Bear-Attacks-in-North-America-Jasper-Wildlife.html

Last edited by a moderator:
"I guess I was going by rumors. I have no experience with hogs.

I do carry bear spray when i'm just scouting though. You never know when you'll get between bear cubs and a sow by accident."

If I lived in an area where bears lived, my view point would be different and what my wife was allowed to do would change.

When I was in Alaska, I carried my rifle with me due to the brown bears.

One of the guides carried a pistol while we were there. After a couple of days I asked him why, as I had read that shooting a brown bear with a pistol was somewhat of a waste of time. He explained that if a brown bear was going to attack, it would take out the first horse in the line, which is where he rode.

He said that when his horse left, so did his rifle. He said that the pistol was for his sole protection, to get the bear off of him, nothing else.

He carried it in a fully enclosed holster. I asked why, he pulled down his pants and showed me a scar from a bullet hole in his leg. A tree limb had cocked the hammer on the pistol while riding and dropped the hammer on a loaded chamber which discharged into his thigh.

He did not go to the doctor, he remained in the woods until he healed, he said his father would have killed him for being stupid.

I do not have any experience with hogs either, but there is a show on discovery channel that is about dangerous hogs. It may be Hollywood, some of it maybe, but not all of it. Its called Hogs gone wild.
On the other hand guys that do dangerous jobs always act like its nothing.

bdhutier said:
Richard Eames said:
He did not go to the doctor, he remained in the woods until he healed, he said his father would have killed him for being stupid.
Now THAT'S grit... :bow:

No, pure fear. His father was a tough and did not tolerate a person being stupid.

Stupid in Alaska leaves a person dead, fear of your father is worse.

holy manure!the whole point to this is which would be a better pistol in the woods in case of emergency situations not whether hogs are dangerous or not! there is NO DOUBT in MY MIND so i wont argue any more what is dangerous. these woods are full of things that WILL eat you and imhp a stupid person may deny or ignore that fact ,but im not that person we have been informed of black bear killed not far from here kennard.20 milesaway there have been pics in my immediate area of mountain lions stalking the deer feeders not a half mile from where i hunt,hve personally seen black panthers, large bobcats and large hogs, copperheads, tree rattlers and reports of the ever elusive bigfoot! it dont particularly matter what critter ,if it FEELS threatned ,whether it is or not you could mean a dangerous situation .i want to have some sort of back up ,insted of just one shot! hell, ive even seen video of men attacked by enraged buck deer and guess what? the deer won! so in my mind its not whether its dangerous in the woods its which pistol would serve me best! :yakyak:

Back