• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Remington New Army barrel length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elturi

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm interested in buying the Remington New Army revolver from Cabelas, I don't know what model to buy. The sheriff model offer 5.5" barrel and the regular is 8". The sheriff model looks easy carry in the field, but the longer barrel may be more accurate at longer distances? This would be my first BP revolver so I don't have any experience with either one. Does anyone have experience with this models? I rather have the input of actual shooter than the info on Cabelas website. Any information would be appreciated

I have one with the longer barrel. Although I don't shoot it very often but it is pretty accurate from out to 25 yards. The shorter barrel model is cooler looking to me.

The 8" barrel is the correct and only barrel length offered by Remington. If you were interested in reacting, shooting in N-SSA matches or other as-issued revolver matches only the 8" is acceptable. Finally it just looks better.

I would suggest the 8in. Pietta Rem. from EMF co. . Has drift adjust front sight. My 2019 made model was great out of the box. Have shot some of my best practice target with this one both 25 & 50 yds. If your shooting amounts to plinking large targets or less than 20 yards the short Bbl may do. 25-50 yds on targets like a pie plate or smaller the longer Bbl is much better. Also consider the most short Bbl models need a very high front sight replacement to shoot to point of aim...c

I have both. The 5.5 is nicely balanced.
Both equally dependable.
My 8 is the target. Really nice for older eyes. Hits well inside 2" at 25 yards consistently.

I have both as well, the 8" with the longer sight radius is going to be easier to aim accurately, but I don't think it is more inherently accurate. As far as as government contracts, during the WTBS, 8" would be period correct, however the idea to shorten barrels on C&B revolvers is not a new or novel idea, and individuals in the period also saw the possibilities and there were examples of shortened barrels particularly after the war, but they were not official issue.

Then again, the stainless, accurized and target 8" models of the 1858 available now, that help to get the most out of the pistol, are not any more period correct than the 5.5" barreled version, adn when you really get right down to it, none of the current replicas are exactly period correct, it is simple a matter of where you set the goalposts for the "most accurate" copy.

The shorter model is handier, and easier to carry in a holster, and it is near certainty some enterprising young men cut the barrel of their Remingtons in the late 1800's. It is harder to shoot the shorter model well, mostly due to sight radius, but the weight in the front does help to steady the sight picture as well.

If you are going to b e reenacting with particular groups, then an 8" will have to do, if not then if you have the chance as with buying any handgun, try handling both, and if possible shooting both and decide which fits and feels better for you.

An alternative may be the "Navy" .36 model which has a barrel length somewhat in between the two and handles a bit differently than either.

Last edited:
I think the Cabela's is made by Pieta. I had owned and shot and competed and hunted with an 8" barrel 1858 made by Uberti. It under a previous owner won a state pistol championship in Kansas. Accounted for many blue grouse and just plain fun to shoot. Is a stainless steel target model with windage and elevation adjustable rear sight. Unfortunately both sights are stainless and even when painted black and red is not as good as blued iron sights. Non target models with grooved top strap for rear sight still fair shooter. Tried to have conversion cylinder by Millington (.45 long Colt) fit for it but the spare he had was too short for as old a model as mine. It liked 28 grains of FFFg and a .454 round ball. And felt Wonder Wads. Did not digest conicals well. Pre-charged loads with pastry tissue paper, round ball and powder a different experience, Make sure you get a Remington with all steel frame, not brass around cylinder. Lube the cylinder pin well. Would also recommend the 8" long barrel version. When compared against an old original you can see the reproductions are not identical.

I think the Cabela's is made by Pieta. I had owned and shot and competed and hunted with an 8" barrel 1858 made by Uberti. It under a previous owner won a state pistol championship in Kansas. Accounted for many blue grouse and just plain fun to shoot. Is a stainless steel target model with windage and elevation adjustable rear sight. Unfortunately both sights are stainless and even when painted black and red is not as good as blued iron sights. Non target models with grooved top strap for rear sight still fair shooter. Tried to have conversion cylinder by Millington (.45 long Colt) fit for it but the spare he had was too short for as old a model as mine. It liked 28 grains of FFFg and a .454 round ball. And felt Wonder Wads. Did not digest conicals well. Pre-charged loads with pastry tissue paper, round ball and powder a different experience, Make sure you get a Remington with all steel frame, not brass around cylinder. Lube the cylinder pin well. Would also recommend the 8" long barrel version. When compared against an old original you can see the reproductions are not identical.

Does it have the slower RB only type rifling twist? Seems many newer models, such as my 2013 Pietta NMA, have the faster 1:16” twist. It does equally well with my bullets as it does a ball with the same powder charge (30 grns).

Be one of the few and the daring with a steel frame Pietta Buffalo model with a 12" barrel.
Having an adjustable rear sight is a welcome addition whether the barrel is 8" or 12".

The Buffalo's velocity with 35 grains of Graffe's 3F avg. 928 FPS.
The Buffalo's velocity with 35 grains of Pyrodex P avg. 1107 FPS.

Last edited:
Problem with an adjustable rear sight is you cannot shoot them in "As Issue" matches.

If you get a Uberti with an adjustable front sight, you can shoot it in "As Issue" matches.

Latest posts

Back