• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Remington cylinder pin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ballistol. My pistol without it would bind up at some point on the 3rd cylinder. Not so with this. I reoiled it periodically but not because it was showing any signs of need. Maybe I should see for myself. Also I was shooting Olde Eynsford which isn’t as dirty.

Your place on the wall at State and National shoots is what matters, time to move on.

Have not seen Blackie on the wall in Friendship or you.

You cannot wipe out stupid, but you can numb it is with a 2X4.

Your attitude sure is cantankerous and pompous. Not so nice a thing in most people’s book. I’m guessing you’ve changed names and are the same fellow who used to speak in such a fashion, a very demeaning individual who hasn’t posted under that name but joined the forum long ago as did you. Hmmmm...

I went to Phoenix the 1ST time with what I learned from here and 3 pistols. I struggled, a fellow came down and said you do not have a clue what you are doing. He gave me a lesson, loaned me what I needed and what I needed to know. He turned around and walked off and I stopped him and asked, where do I find you? He said come to Trap range and left. I made the board in my first national shoot.

I have worked hard and climbed the leader board, with a lot of help from folks in Phoenix and Friendship.

I asked a High Master where do I go to learn to shoot pistols and he provide the start of guidance and as I worked, others took me under their guidance.

My wife has allowed to chase a dream to be able to shoot at the state and national level.

It is not arrogance, it is pure hard work and shooting each day to get there.

I shoot and do not type each day.

Your attitude and words are all arrogance. Maybe you needed more than shooting lessons...

It’s why I stayed as an enlisted kid. Oh, and the best thing for the Remington is to just chuck the whole works or trade it for a Colt’s open top Revolver...

Well, the fellow obviously requires our patience and after all, it doesn’t cost us anything.

Hey, I like Remingtons … and Colts, too. Actually, I love em both.

Many other knowledgable revolver shooters use Ballistol on the pins/arbors, too. It won’t stay ‘put’ for me - at least not for long. There are many variables though like the type and amount of powder. Even cylinder gap is a factor as is the difference between Colts and Remingtons. White lithium grease works best for me all around and come clean up time it’s not hard to remove.

I’m a fan of Lubriplate. For those who use 3n1 oil or some such petro stuff I suggest giving it or a comparable product like PermaTex a try. But, trigger warning, just be prepared for a pleasant surprise.

Last edited:
It’s why I stayed as an enlisted kid. Oh, and the best thing for the Remington is to just chuck the whole works or trade it for a Colt’s open top Revolver...
OMG Woodnbow! I can't believe you said that! I love Colt's and Remington style C&B revolvers and all these old guns have their quirks. My brother was a Colt shooter, too, and he loved the Colt's, despised my use of a Remington, and could outshoot me any day. Maybe you guys know something I don't, but I can (-used to, ahem-) reload a cylinder full of rounds into my Remington in seconds and keep on pluckin'. I know the large ribbed cylinder pin on the Colt's holds more grease and I love their sloppy backwoods character, but I also like the sight arrangement and accuracy of a Remington. even though I have to jack the cylinder pin up and down to keep it freed up. In fact one of the guns I wish I still had was a brass framed Spiller and Burr in .36 that made a good club when empty, and I was about to buy a new Dance Bros. and Park .44 from Midway when they decided to never have cool C&B's on sale for $200 any more. Woodnbow you have caused me wailing and tears with your critique of the Remington guns, but I forgive you. Oh well, I hope we can still be friends even though I am now smeared with the shame of Remington adoration. ( Mea Culpa) YMOS, Geo.

the only way i know how to keep the cylinder pin free is i pull and wipe down with moose milk every other cylinder full . i own both remingtons and colts they both have their issues . thats the the fun of shooting them.

No, I already have 4 Colts and just opted to add two Remingtons to the bunch. (and both of my sons were enlisted dependents and I stayed the whole 23 years wearing stripes on my sleeve).

Well, I just have read this whole thread...
The solution given by the guy you call Blackie Thomas is a good solution in the mechanical sense and I did not see this before, so why not because that is going in the sense of how are the Colt. May be is it very good: I did not try so I can't talk about what I don't have never tested...
I have four Remington (the oldest since 1973), one ROA (since 1976), one Spiller & Burr (since1990) and only one Navy 51 (I don't remember I'm maybe born with ;) )...
The Colt have no prob. till no cap fall inside, that is my Colt...
For all the other I use WD40 lithium grease and this is good, I normally shoot four or five cylinders in the sathurday after-noon and all them are working pretty good with that grease (also the Colt)...
Very long time ago, I think about sixty years and after I used mutton tallow in the Colt arbor, my grand-father told me to do so and I did for Colt and for Remington...
Now I'm an old man and I want be "modern" so I'm now using the WD40 grease but it doesn't works better than the mutton tallow...
https://www.wd40.com/products/white-lithium-grease/

That's my experiment in this domain...

Last edited:
I use White Lithium automotive grease from Advance Auto. Dirt cheap and a tube lasts and lasts. The only time I need to re-lube is when I tear down and clean up. I'm satisfied with it and that's what counts for me.

Rig universal grease. The same stuff used for long term storage. A guy shooting along side me at friendship noticed i was having trouble pulling out the cylinder pin, and gave some to try, in 1975. Have used it ever since. Have shot at least 30rds. without removing the cylinder. Also wipes off easily.

Well, the fellow obviously requires our patience and after all, it doesn’t cost us anything.

Hey, I like Remingtons … and Colts, too. Actually, I love em both.

Many other knowledgable revolver shooters use Ballistol on the pins/arbors, too. It won’t stay ‘put’ for me - at least not for long. There are many variables though like the type and amount of powder. Even cylinder gap is a factor as is the difference between Colts and Remingtons. White lithium grease works best for me all around and come clean up time it’s not hard to remove.

I’m a fan of Lubriplate. For those who use 3n1 oil or some such petro stuff I suggest giving it or a comparable product like PermaTex a try. But, trigger warning, just be prepared for a pleasant surprise.
Yep, makes a bunch of difference. Have owned R&S for over 40 years and 1858s over 20 and never had gum up issues. Shoot as many as 8 cylinders in a sit and no issues.

Way back when, I used a light coat of white lithium grease on the cylinder pins of my reproduction Remington and Colt revolvers. Never had any issues.

Synthetic greases had not been invented yet back then, so I don't know how well they would work.

Back