• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reminder & info ref: tick prevention in spring / summer outings

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
http://www.tickinfo.com/permethrin.htm

With spring Turkey fast approaching, a friendly reminder about ticks, and maybe some good info for those who may not be aware.

I haven’t had a tick on me or my gear in the several years since I started using Permethrin...using a heavy soaking of a strong Permethrin solution on everything (except my Flintlock).

I buy the 36% concentrate for best overall price through Amazon, and use a dedicated 2.5 gallon spray tank (like you’d use for weed spray) mixing it strong at 3-4oz per gallon.

I spread out a couple sets of hunting clothes, vest, hat, boots, chair, cushion, etc...anything that makes contact with the ground / vegetation...on a large sheet of plastic to spray / completely saturate them, and hang them out to dry before wearing.

The saturation survives multiple washings and to be extra safe against ticks, if I wash something 3-4 times I reapply to ensure I keep a high level of protection.

The reason I also saturate any gear I use Turkey hunting is that ticks can hitch-hike back to your vehicle on a cushion or something then get inside your car to bite you the next day for example.

roundball said:
I buy the 36% concentrate for best overall price through Amazon

I took your advice last year and bought the same thing.

I'm hoping that having record below zero temps not seen since the 1870's up here will have helped by killing a quite a few of those little buggers!

I've been reading this weather may kill a lot of emerald ash borers and other exotic pests that have been plaguing the area too. Unfortunately, a lot of bees will also bite the dust. Frost is hitting 5 and 6 feet deep this year.

I read an in-depth article about ticks and the diseases they transmit. It said that cold doesn't bother them one bit. They just hibernate and come back as good as new.

It also said that if you get a tick off of you within 24 hours after biting, you can't get Lymes because it has to be transmitted in its saliva over time and the transmission takes more than 24 hrs.

The permethrin concentrate from Amazon is a great deal. I bought a jug of the concentrate a few months ago for around $16. That will make a lot of spray. Since I've been using it the past few years I haven't found a tick yet...knock on wood.

As a backup, I have a bottle of 98% DEET.

I might just look into that, but I must be kinda lucky haven't had a tick on me in years and years, my brothers say its because of all the drugs in me :hmm:. They take 1 sip and fall off dead! :grin: .

Thanks for the reminder. I tried permethrin last year for the first time following your recommendation and was impressed with it, didn't have a single tick on me the entire season.

However... I'll repeat my point from last year. Permethrin is low on the toxicity scale, so there's apparently little risk of human health problems from it, but the risk isn't zero. It's always a good idea to limit your exposure to chemicals, long term effects are still a possibility. The toxicity studies report a gap in data for inhaled permethrin, in other words, effect not well understood... don't inhale it. It's deadly to fish and does bad things to the nervous systems of cats.

According to Sawyer, the major marketer of the insecticide, it's not necessary to saturate your gear with permethrin. A surface spraying does just as good a job, reduces exposure and saves money. I found that to be true in my use.

Spence

I don't care much for Deet. A friend sprayed some on his head and got some in his ear. It melted the ear wax out as he was in his tree stand Bow hunting. Of course he dug at his ear and got it on his hand and melted the paint off his Bow. I use the clothing spray and NO Deet on me. works ok. Larry

It doesn't help when walking through thick stuff but a Thermacell is the answer to mosquitoes and other bugs when hunting turkeys from a fixed position. Fire it up and in ~10 minutes there isn't a bug around.

I bowhunt early season deer and spring turkeys in the swamps of Florida and it works. Guaranteed!

I appreciate the reminder. Where I hunt is total tick infested. In the summer I can see ticks all over the deer, when looking thru a spotting scope. I come home with ticks, almost every time I hunt there. I need to try some of that stuff.
Thanks.

I've used that stuff for the last couple of years going to Southern Ohio. It did seem to help. Where I hunt and scout my quarry it's all tall grass, streams and woods, 250 acres of it to be exact.The ticks are so numerous it's ridiculous. So when I first heard of Permethrin I was excited to try it...I used the pre-mixed spray stuff..I did find a few ticks here and there on me, the next couple of times I did my scouting/hunting I used a little more and reduced the number still. I was able to almost totally eliminate them by using the permethrin and wearing knee high rubber boots. I know it sounds weird...but it works for me!

I found the OTC stuff too weak for my interests...since I started mixing / using it, I don't get ticks on me at all

I do my clothes three times a season and never get ticks or chiggers. Have had one friend that is allergic to the stuff. He is also allergic to lots of chemicals. Has to use All detergent for his clothes. Had another friend that put his clothes on wet and got a rash. Other than that the stuff works great.

I'm allergic to Tide, but my wife switched to Arm & Hammer and no more problem. All detergent made me itch also, best of luck. :idunno:

Latest posts

Back