REMEMBER GOLIAD.

Discussion in 'The Plains' started by satx78247, Mar 26, 2018.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Mar 29, 2018 #21

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon Supporting Member

RotflmRao.

yours, satx

2. Mar 30, 2018 #22

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon Supporting Member

I truly hope that you found at least one thing "of interest" on this thread.

Fwiw, I'll be doing another thread before too long on San Jacinto & yet another about "The long, sad walk back to Mexico" by the brave soldados of Mexico (Probably entitled: DEFEAT & the LONG RETREAT) after that.
    Those brave lads did their best for La Patria but in the end their best was simply not enough.
    (I'm trying to put together an at least "somewhat scholarly" monograph about the first 6-9 months after San Jacinto, which few people, even here in TX, know anything about.)

yours, satx

3. Mar 30, 2018 #23

Artificer

Artificer

Artificer

Cannon Supporting Member

Yes, indeed. I found the information on the Free Ranches very interesting, as I don't believe I have read of them before. Also enjoyed your take on the Dictator's mistakes.

Wasn't it a requirement that new immigrants who wished to settle permanently in Texas/Mexico, were required to become Catholics?

Gus

4. Mar 31, 2018 #24

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon Supporting Member

Glad to hear that you found things of interest on the thread. = I seldom come onto this forum without learning something.

YES. At least in theory, every permanent immigrant to Texas was supposed to become Roman Catholic. - Truth is that many became RC in name only.
    (MARRYING a current permanent resident of TX/Mexico was often considered to be "enough to qualify".)

yours, satx

5. Mar 31, 2018 #25

Artificer

Artificer

Artificer

Cannon Supporting Member

I find it interesting when Christians of different faiths claim they don't believe in ghosts or spirits, yet whenever they repeat their denomination's version of the Nicene Creed, they attest/affirm belief in at least two of them. That is not meant to be a religious or some other kind of judgment, it just seems they don't think about that when they claim they don't believe in ghosts or spirits.

I would welcome the company of the spirits of those who guarded and defended the walls, if I were a modern security guard making late night rounds at the Alamo.

Gus

6. Mar 31, 2018 #26

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon Supporting Member

As you know, I'm a "mixed-blood" & we NA believe in all sorts of spirits, of the human/animal sort & even plants sometimes have them.
    (It took my late Mother, who was "White", quite long time to figure out that the "creature" that I sometimes mentioned, when I was a young lad was not "an imaginary friend" but instead was what we call a "Spirit Guide".)

I've met a fellow from SATX, who was hired on as a contract electrician to repair some of the outdoor lights at The Shrine.
    He last about 45 minutes on the job, as he said that a uniformed Mexican soldado came up to him not long after "black dark" & asked him if he had any water to spare. = He left the premises so quickly that he forgot some of his tools/materials.
    (One of the Alamo Rangers picked the belongings up & secured them in the security office. - The electrician came back about Noon the next day to retrieve them.)

yours, satx

7. Mar 31, 2018 #27

Artificer

Artificer

Artificer

Cannon Supporting Member

The Electrician spoke Spanish, I presume?

Personally, I'm very glad to hear your report the Alamo has been able to buy more land around the Shrine.

I would also be very interested to hear more of the Native Americans who fought with the Free Ranches, other Tejano's and the Texican Immigrants against the Dictator.

Gus

8. Mar 31, 2018 #28

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon Supporting Member

YEP. Mr. Garza speaks Spanish & was obviously quite "spooked" by talking to a "dead fellow". - He's told several docents that, "I don't need money bad enough to work down there after dark."

As to your other interests, you find nothing more than "bits & pieces" in private diaries & letters about alliances between the Free Ranches & the local NA. = To my knowledge there is NO published book that tells the whole story.
    (Thus my interest in finding out if there is enough to do a book or monograph for publication upon. = I'm NOT at all sure that I will ever find enough to write anything more than a few paragraphs.)

What obviously tied the 2 completely different groups together (at least to some degree) was their shared FEAR & HATRED OF the Comanche raiders that came across the Neches to take slaves, steal cattle/horses, burn everything in sight & to do other hostile acts that affected both groups.
    (As Kautilia of India said in the fourth century BC, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend.")

yours, satx

9. Apr 2, 2018 #29

Artificer

Artificer

Artificer

Cannon Supporting Member

Well, OK, thanks for mentioning that anyways.

Always enjoy learning more about the Texas Revolution.

Do they still have that sorta fancy, small caliber percussion half stock rifle on display that was "sort of" copied for the John Wayne film about the Alamo?

Gus

10. Apr 2, 2018 #30

coloradoclyde

coloradoclyde

coloradoclyde

Cannon Supporting Member

Yep!....I remember.......They lost their fight for independence.....
    Viva la Texico..... :haha:

11. Apr 2, 2018 #31

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon Supporting Member

Haven't seen it.

As I learn more & that amounts to anything (presuming that I do) I'll pass it along.

yours, satx

12. Apr 2, 2018 #32

coloradoclyde

coloradoclyde

coloradoclyde

Cannon Supporting Member

Important dates to remember in Texas history....

December 29, 1845

March 30, 1870,

13. Apr 7, 2018 #33

Treestalker

Treestalker

Treestalker

45 Cal.

When I consider the arrogance and intractability of Gen. Antonio Lopez de Santa Ana, and the events that unfolded subsequent to his declaring the Texicans 'pirates', I fear for the future of the United States under the current administration. War and war crimes will always be with us, and it is usually the callousness of leaders that leads to conflict and all it's attendant suffering. History is built on the bedrock of unintended consequences. I pray for the souls of all who died in the Texas Revolution conflict on both sides. My g g grandfather, Benjamine Johnson, fought at San Jacinto for the Texicans, so I have a personal interest in that part of the conflict. George.

14. Apr 7, 2018 #34

satx78247

satx78247

satx78247

Cannon Supporting Member

Well said.

The service of your ancestor is to be remembered/treasured by every Texican.

Fwiw, 2 members (a teenaged boy & a "man full-growed") of my mother's side of the family were militiamen "with GEN Houston at San Jacinto". - Both survived the battle without a scratch & shortly thereafter returned to (what is now) Panola County to farm.

yours, satx

15. Apr 7, 2018 #35

coloradoclyde

coloradoclyde

coloradoclyde

Cannon Supporting Member

Opportunists see war as an economic venture. Even in the worst of tragedies someone always gets rich.

16. Apr 11, 2018 #36

Jimbo47

Jimbo47

Jimbo47

40 Cal.

Humans from the time of Cain and Abel haven't ever lived in peace. :shake:

17. Sep 27, 2018 #37

burlesontom

burlesontom

burlesontom

36 Cal.

"Btw, I was beginning to think that only "tenngun" & I were interested enough in LaBahia/Goliad to comment.

GLAD to see your input".

Sometimes its just good to sit back and listen when people who know what they are talking about are speaking. I am really enjoying this thread and while I know some of this history I sure don't know it like you guys. Carry on. :thumbsup:

18. Sep 27, 2018 #38

burlesontom

burlesontom

burlesontom

36 Cal.

I am not sure about what gun you are referring to but when I was at the Alamo last May they had a half stock rifle in percussion that was supposed to belong to Crockett. When I asked the curator why it was not a flinter and he said someone omwned it after Davy died and converted it to percussion. Then somehow it ended up back in the hands of the museum. It was a half stock in .40 caliber IIRC.

19. Nov 5, 2018 #39

rayb

rayb

rayb

40 Cal.

Isn't Nueces River a better description for the big rancho area?
    It is West of Bejar/Bexar/San Antonio, whereas the Neches is East of Bejar.
    Later description of the region between the Nueces and Rio Bravo/Rio Grans was "Wild Horse Desert".
    rayb

20. Nov 6, 2018 #40

Artificer

Artificer

Artificer

Cannon Supporting Member

Yes, that is probably the rifle to which I was referring. At the time I saw it on display near the beginning of this century, it looked to me like the rifle they somewhat copied for John Wayne to carry/use in his movie version of the Alamo.

Gus