• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rehardening my frizzen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most frizzens don’t need to be rehardened, unless you’re enhancing the surface with carbon flux / compound to create hotter sparks (This isn’t required for a frizzen to spark, but some people do it). For original muskets, I wouldn’t mess with rehardening or heat treating, they were using different alloys back then. I would get a casted copy of the frizzen and just install it new, set the original frizzen aside as part of the original gun for when you resell or display.

Your flint looks dull, You’ll get a better spark by 1. Pressure flaking the flint with a copper nail to create edges and 2. Polishing the face of the frizzen to clear out any cut marks that would mitigate the flint from shaving off the steel.

Re flint sizes we today use smaller flints than was originally used , going by recovered flints from the wreck of the E I coy' Earl Of Abergaveny' I don't think gowling up the Cock top jaw screw is a good notion & I use leather if no doubt lead was used . That flint you show is useless but your selling it anyway , it looks tired but that's the buyers problem. Rudyard

Back