• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rehabilitating a 200-year-old Jaeger Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the screws that were made ca1800, not the screw plate.

407620290.jpg

Hand-made, the lock bolts were drawfiled and aren't even round. Compare these to the screws made for a ca1810 Liege-made French military pistol below and you'll see those fasteners were cut or filed on a machine, probably a purpose-built screw lathe, and are much more uniform.

407620289.jpg

I use 1840 as an approximate cutoff because country-made pieces still had a lot of work done the old-fashioned way.

Wes/Tex said:
What a pleasure to see such loving care taken to restore such an interesting old rifle. Bravo sir, very well done! :hatsoff:

I will second that...very informative, very well done!!

Magnificent work on that old rifle, love the write up and all the work. I really think it's better to repair, and save them for future generations. I am a SAR as well, and it's great to have that lineage in your blood.

Nice work and good post! It was a pleasure....and very educational...to read your description of the process.

Just found this post. It was well worth the time and pot of coffee reading it. Beautiful restoration and documentation ! :cool:

Wow. Nice work! I commend your skill and patience! Jaegers are very nice and appeal to the Tyrolean in me.

( I have a german heavily swamped Jaeger barrel with gold lettering sitting in my barrel rack. I pick it up and think what it might look like and then just put it back. )

I rarely read every word of a long post. Yours is one of the few exceptions I don't have the necessary mental tools to do this type of work but I'm happy that you and others like you do.
Thank you.

This is a great thread. Well done on the restoration work, the rifle looks great.

A lot of would-be restorers would simply grab the acetone, wire brush, WD-40 and satin polyurethane and think they're doing a fantastic firearm restoration. This original post may be old but it is jam packed with information. A very well documented and informative post. This sixty-five year old certainly learned a thing or two. Thanks for posting and reposting.

Dan

Back