• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Refitting Muzzle Loaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohio Joe

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Last night I completed the first round of a four year project of refitting a number of my muzzle loading rifles. The idea is to get the rifles I use for special purpose's in order, by the way of stock, lock, and sight continuity.

When I pickup one of my fullstock rifles now, it will have the same "Dickert" stock dimension as all the rest. Length of trigger pull, cast off, and drop. Be it percussion or flint lock, all carry Siler locks now. The same applies to my half stock rifles though these are built using a Hawken style buttplate and trigger guard. All have fixed sights.

My next refit project will be to start on the old CVA's, and T/C... The Thompson Center will be the only one that gets to keep it's parts. It will just recieve a new stock.
The CVA's will each get a new stock, lock, drum, nosecap, lower entry thimble, and sights.

My ultimate goal is to have two school's of rifle's, the Pennsylvania Longrifle style, and the Plains Rifle style, all stocked in maple. I'll still manage to build a few new ones along the way for myself and others as I have done over these past years. It may not be the, "one man, one rifle" theroy, but it's as close as I'm going to get. :thumbsup:

Good luck on Your projects,I've got a simuler project on-going,but of a much smaller scale.I bought an old T/C Renegade from a pawnshop some years ago ,and buit a full length stok for it from a misquite log.It came out quite well.I than fabricated all the furniture from scrap brass.And added a few brass inlays.Now I've decided to thin the front portion of the stock a small amount,so this means I have to reconstruct the nose cap,Etc.I'm also considering boreing out the rifleing to .56 or .58 smoothbore.The 1:48 twist is a little too much for good round ball accy. anyway,and I would like a round ball gun that would handle shot loads. I have a CVA Trapper shotgun but I'd have to destroy the factory choke to open the muzzle up to accept round ball.And it's chrome lined for steel shot.I still havn't finished the CVA Kentucky in .45cal.1:66 twist,have to make a latch system for the cover, and possibly one or two inlays.I enjoy this pastime a great deal,and find it most relaxing. :thumbsup: :relax: P.S. I also want to carve and build a few more horns,and possibly a possibles bag or two.This should keep me busy till I'm 70. ::

Last spring I was healing from a back surgery and needed something to keep me sane (as I get). I had a CVA Ky Rifle that I bought for 50 bucks that someone had butchered, I started fooling with that thing and found a cheap relacement barrel. Then I started thinking a patchbox would look good, so I got on of those sandcast Leman type cap boxes for 7.25, After the capbox, a half moon that I made and a hunter star that I made, I decided that a nice dark stain would change the looks. It is amazing how the time passed when I was fooling around with that gun. In a dark room, with a good fog looking through a dirty window it sorta looks like a trade rifle. :huh: Anyway it shoots OK!

Back