• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

refiring lead round balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the recovered balls and minis that I have found had far too much dirt and sand pressed into them to reuse as-is. The recovered round lead balls can be recast into excellent new round balls, though.
Yes...I recast lead quite often. The ones I had left over from this video are already in the melting pot. I never buy rounds balls anymore.

While we are a group that helps new shooters learn the proper way to shoot a black powder rifle, this person is exactly the opposite. In the first minute, he 1. He loads his rifle while it is laying on his chest under his face. 2, He puts his palm over the ramrod to lower the ball. 3. He rests his hand on top of a loaded barrel. I quit watching after that. Someone should tell this person that being charismatic, new young shooters might copy his loading practices. There are some ranges that would eject a shooter that unsafe.

OK, I had to write it, now I will dig my hole and climb in waiting for his followers to scoop in the dirt. Sorry, it had to be said.

I receive these type of comments occasionally.
It is just about convinced me to shop showing on video the loading process.
Ask 10 shooters how to load a gun--you get 10 different methods. I've tried loading with the gun pointed away ( between my legs )..I've tried loading them without any type of hands over the barrel which I found out is almost impossible to do and.....I never did see where I rested a hand over the loaded barrel within the first 3 minutes. Since I'm primarily an "in the field" shooter, it would be much easier to load the firearms with the cameras turned off and only show the shooting parts and the results.
Something for me to think about.
Thank you for watching the 1 minute you did and your thoughts, I appreciate them.

Have a blessed day.

Last edited:
I receive these type of comments occasionally.
It is just about convinced me to shop showing on video the loading process.
Ask 10 shooters how to load a gun--you get 10 different methods. I've tried loading with the gun pointed away ( between my legs )..I've tried loading them without any type of hands over the barrel which I found out is almost impossible to do and.....I never did see where I rested a hand over the loaded barrel within the first 3 minutes. Since I'm primarily an "in the field" shooter, it would be much easier to load the firearms with the cameras turned off and only show the shooting parts and the results.
Something for me to think about.
Thank you for watching the 1 minute you did and your thoughts, I appreciate them.

Have a blessed day.
I take it back, 3 minutes and 6 seconds. You are so charismatic and fun to watch and I believe that people really get a kick out of your videos. If you could just not show the way you load a rifle, like raise the camera to your face. I saw a picture of a young boy with a ramrod scar on his forehead and the top of his skull, I wish that I had saved it. But it made me a believer.

Well, it is a muzzleloader which means it is loaded from the muzzle. I don’t know of any way to load one without at least a finger or thumb being over the muzzle at some point during the loading process. And what about all the folks using short starters? They definitely have their hands over the muzzle.

Has anybody watched the Herschel House video where he loads his rifle? Watch how he makes a spit patch if you dare! 😁

Keep up the good work Mark!

I take it back, 3 minutes and 6 seconds. You are so charismatic and fun to watch and I believe that people really get a kick out of your videos. If you could just not show the way you load a rifle, like raise the camera to your face. I saw a picture of a young boy with a ramrod scar on his forehead and the top of his skull, I wish that I had saved it. But it made me a believer.
Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate it.
Have a blessed day.

Also, if you watch the Folk Firearms Collective, Black Powder TV, Duelist1954 and many others, you will see them putting fingers, thumbs, hands, arms, etc., over the muzzle during the loading process. They don’t load any different than Black Powder Maniac or myself.

BPMS, keep making the videos and ignore the critics....I think they are a hoot!
When the critics show us their videos of how to load safely in the middle of a field with no support perhaps we can comment on their methods.
Oh..I'm going to continue. I have 12-14 videos already loaded & ready to post and finished another one last night. Going out to film another FLINTLOCK FEMALE FUN video this week. It is a new hobby/obscession for me & I LOVE it. I just thank all you fellas for watching them...

Hmmmm, not sure.
I'd love to shoot with the Red River Renegades again sometime.
I loved shooting with those folks...

maybe I could talk you into stopping at my ranch along the way (my place is along I-30, halfway between Texarkana and Dallas) and doing some shooting together next time you pass this way

Back