• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Refinishing a ‘dark’ gem into something more!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
FYI, watch the auction houses, if looking for a new muzzleloader or project, as sometimes ‘deals & steals‘ can be had. I have auto-searches loaded for ‘LH or left flintlock’, being a southpaw and the sites email me upon any new posting thereof.

This one came up and besides the original finish having turned dark to almost black, the ad itself had bad pictures and a poor description. But I saw enough to follow-up w/ the Seller and determined it had enough quality as a ‘parts gun’ to put in a low bid. Well, that low bid won it!

Turns out to wear a highly figured/striped tiger-stripe maple stock and a B-weight 50-cal round-bottom grooved Getz barrel, w/ LH Siler lock that appears made really well by whomever had assembled the lock.

I refinished the stock, going for a brown color w/ tint of red and I’m extremely pleased how it came out. I also tried my 1st attempt at incise carving and added the moulding lines at the buttstock and along the upper forend, lines on the cheekpiece, as well as incise decorations at the lower/upper junction by the ramrod entry, plus some carving on the buttstock proper.

The pictures don’t do the final finish color justice, they look ‘flat’, but in natural daylight the color & stripes really ‘pop’! Although one of the larger ‘Swirls’ could have been smoother, for what I had paid for and have into it (~half that of a Kibler rifle kit ... who doesn’t make them LH’d anyway) and I’m pretty thrilled with what I got out of it!

7CB1254F-9EE9-4C15-95D6-62B66D9D46D8.jpeg

75EC0963-1B26-445D-88AE-16FDBC9D5ED6.jpeg

5E1601C4-5C00-4E70-892C-7608E3C73842.jpeg

911F9130-1686-4B95-9107-BA4E17521812.jpeg

530397E6-64B7-4EE5-8B20-424773B3A0BC.jpeg

EF8BB0B1-2C82-4B6F-9945-61CC0C369A7B.jpeg

FYI, watch the auction houses, if looking for a new muzzleloader or project, as sometimes ‘deals & steals‘ can be had. I have auto-searches loaded for ‘LH or left flintlock’, being a southpaw and the sites email me upon any new posting thereof.

This one came up and besides the original finish having turned dark to almost black, the ad itself had bad pictures and a poor description. But I saw enough to follow-up w/ the Seller and determined it had enough quality as a ‘parts gun’ to put in a low bid. Well, that low bid won it!

Turns out to wear a highly figured/striped tiger-stripe maple stock and a B-weight 50-cal round-bottom grooved Getz barrel, w/ LH Siler lock that appears made really well by whomever had assembled the lock.

I refinished the stock, going for a brown color w/ tint of red and I’m extremely pleased how it came out. I also tried my 1st attempt at incise carving and added the moulding lines at the buttstock and along the upper forend, lines on the cheekpiece, as well as incise decorations at the lower/upper junction by the ramrod entry, plus some carving on the buttstock proper.

The pictures don’t do the final finish color justice, they look ‘flat’, but in natural daylight the color & stripes really ‘pop’! Although one of the larger ‘Swirls’ could have been smoother, for what I had paid for and have into it (~half that of a Kibler rifle kit ... who doesn’t make them LH’d anyway) and I’m pretty thrilled with what I got out of it!

View attachment 48904

View attachment 48903

View attachment 48905

View attachment 48906

View attachment 48907

View attachment 48908
Very nice work! Looking good!

I will watch the auctions sometimes. there are some great deals going but a lot of auction houses will not ship.

Back