Refinished my T\C Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

DaveT

32 Cal
Reaction score
Since we were in COVID mode, I decided to re-finish my 40+ YO T\C Hawken. Originally purchased in 1980 with some light sanding and a few coats of True Oil, the gun has seen a lot of hunting under different weather conditions over the years. It's been dropped, many times, threw it across a pipeline once as I began to tumble down the muddy hill...drove mud a good 10" into the bore. I never liked the original 1-48 twist barrel as it had a very shallow rifling and after trying about 6,000 different ball\patch\powder combos, I finally settled on 60gr FF....which is enough to kill a deer....as long as the POI was the same as the POA.

About ten years ago I replaced the barrel with a Green MT drop in. Best decision I made as the rifle will now shoot a nice group....and no more "shotgun pattern." Plus the load is now 100gr FF.

Anyway the initial pics are the beginnings of the re-do. I had a set of TOTW Hawken triggers that I purchased many years ago with the intent of building a true re-pro Hawken Plains rifle. Well, that never happened so I used the TOTW double triggers and trigger plate to get rid of the T\C factory. I never liked the T\C trigger guard. I also made a toe plate, inlayed the lock bolt metal, inlayed the wedge key metal, and re-shaped the stock. I considered replacing the T\C nose cap with a more realistic one, but then decided against that. All of the T\C Brass has been dipped in a brass aging solution and the steel trigger guard was greyed using the same solution. I also removed the barrel blueing with Naval Jelly. The barrel was not to my liking as far as the smooth finish was concerned so I draw-filed it to my liking and using the brass solution, I greyed\patina the barrel.

The stock was sanded to 220 grit, whiskered twice, then I applied two coats of sealer. After steel wooling the sealer back I then applied two coats of Chambers Oil Finish. I let the first coat dry 24 hours, steel wooled it back, then applied the second coat. Then using 0000 Steel wool I removed anything that was too thick and let the finish be a satin one.

It's not an original T\C....and it will never be a Hawken reproduction.....but it's a good hunting rifle...and IMHO, it looks nicer....and it's not like every other T\C out there. Here's the pics in (I think) order of refinish:

bQNDRKGh.jpg
L37N7AVh.jpg
XBFrjFMh.jpg
GoTHH0Ih.jpg
tuAP6C8h.jpg
wv0mlmjh.jpg
fo7PN2Oh.jpg
TcWKgA4h.jpg
Tw3hRONh.jpg
UvhehoOh.jpg
BqKErnCh.jpg
B53F0pNh.jpg
igYw6Tzh.jpg
hgGyS6ih.jpg
iU1XQruh.jpg
Tw3hRONh.jpg

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
Nice job of it. Built my TC Hawken from a kit and never replaced any parts. The initial use was on squirrels and it was a real "head hitter". Later on used it for deer w/ Maxi Balls and got a few deer. My only complaint was that it was a cheek slapper so one year I modified the butttock and it no longer bothered my cheek. In fact used it on elk w/ a 410 gr Buffalo Bullet w/ a lot of powder and it got a couple of elk.

Found that no matter the load, the accuracy was excellent.
TC Hawken.JPG

The comb was taken down and re-angled and the cheekpiece was reduced in height. The pic shows the result.....Fred

DaveT

32 Cal
Reaction score
Fred.....I think my original barrel was cut at the end of the cutter's useful life. I know factory barrels that shoot very well.....but mine just didn't.

Reaction score
This is my originally early T/C Hawken. As you can see I replaced everything but the lock, trigger and tang. Went with a Green Mt. barrel, Pecatonica stock and furniture from the Hawken Shop. Probably should have gone your route as it would have saved much$$.

Attachments

• 20190304_131158.jpg
    20190304_131158.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 20190304_131250.jpg
    20190304_131250.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 79
Reaction score
Very nice work, its always nice to see a well used and loved gun cleaned up and ready for move use.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your brass aging solution of choice?

DaveT

32 Cal
Reaction score
I used this "stuff" called Historic House Solutions. Brass Tarnishing

A visit to their web site shows the small bottle $7.50 is out of stock. The small bottle is plenty enough to use on several guns. Brass...plus if you want that grey patina look it works great for that. Jim Kibler has a video on how to apply it. Essentially, you apply with a scotch pad...don't rub it off...then spray with WD-40 and then wipe the excess oil off. Comes out nice.

The brass parts must be placed in a bowl and submerged. Doesn't take long.

Reaction score
FWIW, I have had good luck aging brass by dunking it in white vinegar then hanging the part(s) in a small, closed box with a bowl of ammonia. 2 to 4 times worked for me. Sometimes though, just using it produces the best patina..

Latest posts