• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Referring to a Smoothbore as a Smoothie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see this term from time to time in reference to no particular smoothbore weapon and was wondering, when did it start, was it common terminology back in the day, or is it just a nickname? What was the original terminology for a smoothbore in the mid 1700s? Musket, trade musket, shotgun, other? I wonder how many folks back in the mid to late 18th century called a smoothbore a smoothie? I can just see Ol' Jebidiah walking into the trading post and asking Amos if he could take a look at one of them thar smoothies he's got hangin on the wall.
If a smooth bore is a "smoothie", then a rifle must be a "screwie".

I don't care what any y'all call 'em.

I'll call em fowlers, or smoothbores, because I don't want to look stupid calling them a smoothies. That's too hip for me, or something. If i want a smoothie, I'll ride over to Dairy Queen. I can't wrap my head around "smooth rifle", either, because it's just not logical.

That said, fusil, or French for gun, is pronounced foozee, so........

I'll call em fowlers, or smoothbores, because I don't want to look stupid calling them a smoothies. That's too hip for me, or something. If i want a smoothie, I'll ride over to Dairy Queen. I can't wrap my head around "smooth rifle", either, because it's just not logical.

I haven't heard anybody use the term FOWLER, in a long time. or FUZEE FIN.

or Fusil De Chasse, not heard very much at shooting events.

or Fusil De Chasse, not heard very much at shooting events.
And that’s kinda funny. Often folks will call their FDC a Tulle. While the original could be made at Charleville, Tulle, or st Esomething. As the military musket all called Charlevills though they too could be made at all three armories

I can wrap my head around the term smooth rifle rather than insisting that the firearm be called a smooth bored gun of rifle architecture.

And what we of the English language can do to butcher the pronunciation of French words, fuzee, fuke, fuzel...

I can wrap my head around the term smooth rifle rather than insisting that the firearm be called a smooth bored gun of rifle architecture.

And what we of the English language can do to butcher the pronunciation of French words, fuzee, fuke, fuzel...
Try to work the french word for seal(the animal) into a sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back