• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Referring to a Smoothbore as a Smoothie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone seems to call everything a "musket" . I don't bother to correct them, I hate uppity people in niche hobbies who get all OCD about terminology that 99% of people don't know or care about so if some guy calls my P53 Enfield a musket , I could care less

People back in the period called any long arm "a gun" , it's in period writings. "We cleaned the pipes on our guns after the battle" or "we're getting the new English .58 guns" and revolvers were "pistols" . Who cares . I call them guns too.

I call my .69 Smoothbore "The Pumpkin Slinger" sometimes or my Enfields "the gas pipe" because I amuse myself with this stuff

Some people here would cringe at what people call rifles in the surplus bolt action rifle collecting world.

I see this term from time to time in reference to no particular smoothbore weapon and was wondering, when did it start, was it common terminology back in the day, or is it just a nickname? What was the original terminology for a smoothbore in the mid 1700s? Musket, trade musket, shotgun, other? I wonder how many folks back in the mid to late 18th century called a smoothbore a smoothie? I can just see Ol' Jebidiah walking into the trading post and asking Amos if he could take a look at one of them thar smoothies he's got hangin on the wall.
Yeah, it's just modern hobbyist lingo!

Everyone seems to call everything a "musket" . I don't bother to correct them, I hate uppity people in niche hobbies who get all OCD about terminology that 99% of people don't know or care about so if some guy calls my P53 Enfield a musket , I could care less

People back in the period called any long arm "a gun" , it's in period writings. "We cleaned the pipes on our guns after the battle" or "we're getting the new English .58 guns" and revolvers were "pistols" . Who cares . I call them guns too.

I call my .69 Smoothbore "The Pumpkin Slinger" sometimes or my Enfields "the gas pipe" because I amuse myself with this stuff

Some people here would cringe at what people call rifles in the surplus bolt action rifle collecting world.
I'm with you!

I follow a metal detecting forum as well, and any muzzleloading round ball is a "musket ball", I always correct it if it is too small of a caliber to be a musket ball.

We call those type of guns "the other modern gun" and not true muzzleloaders in Kentucky, even though they are loaded from the muzzle. It's just not the same in my opinion.
There are some inline users that develop an interest in old school muzzle loaders. Don't discredit them. Inline users help with the demand for Black Powder and other necessities. --- I started out with a flintlock and then went to percussion. Eventually I bought an Inline. I liked it. However, I sold it and went back to flint and percussion guns.

I like a bickie with my cup of tea.

Call the dam things what you will.
If you understand in this context a smoothie is referring to a smooth bored gun then it worked! If however you do not wish to use the terminology then don't.
What no one has a right to is correcting any one that has not done anything particularly wrong!

From a personal take I refuse to call a 12 gauge a 12 bore. But I understand what someone is referring to all be it they are wrong. If they said 12 ball I would have more sympathy but either way I have no grounds or qualifications to demean such a person. I'm quite sure that in some field or walk of life they are quite normal.
I work in a gun store. I deal with people that use the most un-godly terminology every day. Some even have their own pet names for items. It would drive you crazy if you let it get to you.

thunderstick-color.jpg

The only thing that really gets a bit under my skin is when someone calls my fusil de chasse a rifle. It's a fusil, or a smooth bore, or a trade gun. The argument could be made for calling it a shotgun...which technically it can be.

I think that in many of the instances related in this thread instead of being cause for annoyance, they should be looked at as opportunities for education.

I can understand the frustration, when I was teaching jewelry making classes it annoyed me when students would (asking for or about some specific tool) call it a "thing". Instead of letting them get away with that I would simply say "You mean flush cutters" (or whatever tool they were describing.) Helped them and helped me as well.

Honestly this forum is the only place I have ever observed someone using the term 'smoothie' for a smoothbore. No one says that in real life.

I see this term from time to time in reference to no particular smoothbore weapon and was wondering, when did it start, was it common terminology back in the day, or is it just a nickname? What was the original terminology for a smoothbore in the mid 1700s? Musket, trade musket, shotgun, other? I wonder how many folks back in the mid to late 18th century called a smoothbore a smoothie? I can just see Ol' Jebidiah walking into the trading post and asking Amos if he could take a look at one of them thar smoothies he's got hangin on the wall.

Smoothies have too many calories in my opinion. but at least they still have the fiber content compared to juice. hahaha

It does make me shiver a bit when I hear some on talking about their first bow kill and then they hold up a scoped crossbow, or a tricked-out compound and a laser rangefinder, I guess I have been shooting my homemade wood bows too long.
Stick bows are best bows.
4FLp7cQejwYwS4or0fdVOSIZox4wn0IQ3oFhigSYe3Y.jpg

I compare this subject to archery. I do my fair share of compound bow hunting. I have a long bow, but I couldn’t tell you the last time I broke it out. Probably a decade. Would like to get into it one of these days.

Anyways, I see a lot of flack towards people that use crossbows (cross-guns as referenced by most) for hunting. It drives me nuts. Will I use one? Not currently. Maybe there will be a day where my shoulders won’t allow me to draw 60-70 lbs back. I enjoy the challenge of a compound bow, but if a crossbow gets you out in the woods, good on ya!

I actually enjoyed shooting more when I worried less about this manure

My only real "pet peeve " is people who come up and yack about some nonsense while I'm concentrating on loading or other rude range people

And I shoot at basically a private range with very few members, and people still find ways to get under your skin. Like yes, understand that once I put a bullet in the pipe of my "musket " I have to fire to "clear it" so you can go downrange, I also can't open my action....the hammer is half cocked, best I can do pal..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back