• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Reference material on pistols and blunderbusses of the 18th century?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 56333

40 Cal
Reaction score
Sometimes folks write these books that are intended to be a sort of catch-all reference/encyclopedia for guns of a particular time and place. For instance I own one that covers the many varieties of pepperbox handguns in America and Europe during the 19th century, and has a good mix of illustrations and technical info.

Does anything like that exist for muzzle-loading pistols of the 18th century (whether martial or civilian, I'm not picky) from any of the following locations:
  • Britain/Ireland
  • France
  • Netherlands
  • Spain
  • Colonial America
And similarly, anything on blunderbusses from any of the above regions during this period?

Does anything like that exist for muzzle-loading pistols of the 18th century (whether martial or civilian, I'm not picky) from any of the following locations:
  • Britain
Quite an old book now, but you could try looking up J.N. George, 'English Pistols and Revolvers - An Historical Outline of the Development and Design of English Hand Firearms from the Seventeenth Century to the Present Day.' (Published in 1938).

David

Yep, I have several books on each.
Could you share the titles/authors please?

Quite an old book now, but you could try looking up J.N. George, 'English Pistols and Revolvers - An Historical Outline of the Development and Design of English Hand Firearms from the Seventeenth Century to the Present Day.' (Published in 1938).

David
Thanks.

Sometimes folks write these books that are intended to be a sort of catch-all reference/encyclopedia for guns of a particular time and place. For instance I own one that covers the many varieties of pepperbox handguns in America and Europe during the 19th century, and has a good mix of illustrations and technical info.

• Britain/Ireland
  • France
  • Netherlands
  • Spain
  • Colonial America
And similarly, anything on blunderbusses from any of the above regions during this period?

The only book that I have on blunderbusses is "Blunderbusses" by D.R. Baxter (1970)

Back