Reenactor Powder

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

yonderin

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Question was asked on another forum about this.

My understanding is that it's for "blank" firing. Maybe some wadding to hold it in place? No use for normal shooting?

Thanks

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve never bought any, just understand it is la lower grade 2 or 1 fg. It is safe to shoot with ball, but you might need to kick up your charge a bit. I understand it Burns pretty dirty

Pete G

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Any wad becomes a projectile and also requires ramming with the ramrod, both being prohibited in re-enactments. You must use more than your normal load, otherwise you will just get a big "PHOOOP"
(usually requires experimentation).:rolleyes:

If you are just wanting to make a celibratory noise use about 125% of your normal load under a newspaper wad. Be aware that this usually causes small fires, which can also be exciting.😲

Grenadier1758

Cannon
Reaction score
We often shoot it in our King's Muskets for blanks and for live fire. Reenactor powder is dirty, but anything we shoot in old Brown Bess will result in a fouled bore.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Question was asked on another forum about this.

My understanding is that it's for "blank" firing. Maybe some wadding to hold it in place? No use for normal shooting?

Thanks

"Reenactor grade" GOEX is a moderately "screened" 3Fg powder. Moderately, as you will find some grains that are 2Fg in the mix. It is a less tightly controlled powder product, meaning it is less costly to produce, and the savings are meager from pound to pound, saving a mere $2.10. However, Graf & Sons currently is supplied by GOEX and their "reenactor grade" (essentially the same thing as GOEX but in a different container) saves the buyer $3.60 per pound. So a large sized unit of say 25 muskets/rifles, which will normally burn a pound of powder per man per weekend event, will save from $52.59 to $90 for each event. A unit doing 5 events in a year would then save $450.00. Not a bad savings.

The powder, since it was thought to be mostly for blanks, does not require the higher production control, BUT it is perfectly good for live fire for recreational purposes, and for much of the muzzleloader hunters out there. Long range shooters, hunters or target shooters will likely want the GOEX brand or an even higher quality target powder if target shooting.

LD

Latest posts