• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Reenactment Powder ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Reenactor Grade" powder IS regular B/P; the granular uniformity isnt as consistent as the "Top Shelf" stuff. .... Think of it as the "BULL DURHAM" of black powder. It could be the dustings and sweepings from around the milling machines and such. I've used both in my weapons, handgun, Rifle and Musket. Made meat with it.

Here's a comparison from 2013. Maybe you could zoom in but not sure.
Something you'd notice is that the granules are not graphited, are of a little less uniformity in size (break out the magnifying glass :) to see the unpolished surfaces) and it leaves a less graphite color residue in the barrel. Otherwise it's just Goex. Works great in the barrel or the priming pan.

years ago when I reenacted, there was no such powder. what we used was either 2FG, or 3FG. and either one made a loud bang. 80 to 110 grains.

Here's a comparison from 2013. Maybe you could zoom in but not sure.
Something you'd notice is that the granules are not graphited, are of a little less uniformity in size (break out the magnifying glass :) to see the unpolished surfaces) and it leaves a less graphite color residue in the barrel. Otherwise it's just Goex. Works great in the barrel or the priming pan. who sells JACKS POWDER KEG, POWDER?

Have a friend whose father inlaw passed away last year.

His father inlaw was really big into Civil War re-enactments. I mean really big into it!

My friend came across 25 lb’s of 2f powder. He has very limited knowledge with anything to do with muzzleloading or any other kind of firearm’s for that matter? He’s a white collar sort of fellow. Works at a bank.

Anyway, he thought of me when he was going through his late father inlaw’s BP shooting stuff.

Now to the subject at hand? He called me and wanted to know if I’d be interested in buying the powder?

I haven’t layed eyes on it as of yet? My friend did tell me it was 2f so I’m assuming it’s in a marked container of some sort.

My question would be, how to tell the difference between re-enactment powder and regular shooting grade bp? Might even be marked on the container when I actually look at it I guess?

Is there any visual difference’s that might help in determining what he actually has?

Lastly, I‘m not familiar with reenactment grade powder. Don’t want it if that is what it is. I’m only guessing that it might be reenactment powder because of what my friends father inlaw was heavily into.

I’ll post pictures when I get a chance to glance at the container and powder there in.

Respectfully, Cowboy
Outside of the brand who made it, there is no real difference in the chemical make-up of the powder itself. However with Goex Reenactor powder there will be more size variation that you would normally have with their standard 2f powder. If you pour a little of it on a sheet of paper and a little of their standard 2f on the paper next to it, you'll spot the difference in granule consistency pretty easily. The Reenactor Powder is a little less expensive than Goex's standard powder because it goes through fewer screening steps.

It's great for firing blanks but I probably wouldn't use it for a target competition. It goes off just fine but may be a little inconsistent in pressures, which you wouldn't want in a competition. Bear in mind, it works fine for most target shooting because it's not going to make a big difference, but if you're competing, every little bit counts.

When I was Reenacting in Vermont in the early 2000's it was easy for us to get black powder because there were a number of shale quarries in our area. They use black powder for their blasting because it gives them bigger chunks of shale. We would buy cannon powder from them in 25-lb bulk bags and use that. The main difference between canon powder and "Sporting Powder "was that there was no graphite glaze on the BP granules of canon powder, so it is more sensitive to moisture It was fine for blanks and as long as your powder was dry it would perform the same as the Goex regular black powder. By the way, the small "g" in "FFg" stands for "graphite glazed"

When I moved to VA in 2005 and reenacted with the Virginia 7th Regiments, we primarily used Schuetzen 2f because it worked fine for both muskets and rifles and we got a better price on it from a dealer in Winchester, VA than we could get on Goex. If he was out of 2f we would use the 3f. Reenactments aren't real picky about BP grade it as long as it ignites reliably.

Twisted_1in66 :thumb:
Dan

Outside of the brand who made it, there is no real difference in the chemical make-up of the powder itself. However with Goex Reenactor powder there will be more size variation that you would normally have with their standard 2f powder. If you pour a little of it on a sheet of paper and a little of their standard 2f on the paper next to it, you'll spot the difference in granule consistency pretty easily. The Reenactor Powder is a little less expensive than Goex's standard powder because it goes through fewer screening steps.

It's great for firing blanks but I probably wouldn't use it for a target competition. It goes off just fine but may be a little inconsistent in pressures, which you wouldn't want in a competition. Bear in mind, it works fine for most target shooting because it's not going to make a big difference, but if you're competing, every little bit counts.

When I was Reenacting in Vermont in the early 2000's it was easy for us to get black powder because there were a number of shale quarries in our area. They use black powder for their blasting because it gives them bigger chunks of shale. We would buy cannon powder from them in 25-lb bulk bags and use that. The main difference between canon powder and "Sporting Powder "was that there was no graphite glaze on the BP granules of canon powder, so it is more sensitive to moisture It was fine for blanks and as long as your powder was dry it would perform the same as the Goex regular black powder. By the way, the small "g" in "FFg" stands for "graphite glazed"

When I moved to VA in 2005 and reenacted with the Virginia 7th Regiments, we primarily used Schuetzen 2f because it worked fine for both muskets and rifles and we got a better price on it from a dealer in Winchester, VA than we could get on Goex. If he was out of 2f we would use the 3f. Reenactments aren't real picky about BP grade it as long as it ignites reliably.

Twisted_1in66 :thumb:
Dan
if it has no chemical difference in the makeup of it, then why is it made and people shoot it? other than the granular size?

if it has no chemical difference in the makeup of it, then why is it made and people shoot it? other than the granular size?
From what I understand,
It's the leftover from the grading screens. It's the same powder as the rest of their products.
It would probably cost more to re-grade and reprocess than would be profitable, so they package and sell it for a fews bucks cheaper than than first run graded powder. I have shot it in my handgonne - I can't tell the difference in that and regular GOEX in a large caliber barrel.

My question would be, how to tell the difference between re-enactment powder and regular shooting grade bp

IF it's labelled 2Fg or 2F then it's standard shooting powder, and most blanks are done with 3Fg, not 2Fg as 3Fg gives the musket a "bang" while 2Fg goes "Fooompf"

"Reenactment" powder says just that... and nothing else. So if your buddy told you it was "2F" then it's on the label somewhere so...

REENACTOR POWDER LABEL.JPG

Unless it's Elephant or Diamondback brand, THEN (imho) it's always "reenactment grade" powder. That's stuff is no longer made but it will store quite a long time so who knows?

LD

Just an educated guess but I would say it's powder that didn't meet their stringent quality requirements. Powder companies do allot of testing and batches of powder to insure quality and that it meets consistency requirements. The wood they use can cause inconsistencies if it isn't the same as used prior. Even different parts of the same tree will burn different or batches that grow the same, ie not enough or more water when growing. I assume they control the growing process as much as possible to keep things consistent.

I’ll be going over to the gentleman’s house at the beginning of this coming week.

I’ll actually lay eyes on the stuff for the first time then.

This topic produced excellent response’s and was very educational.

Definitely feel well informed and will be able to make a confident decision as to wether I’m going to buy or pass?

I thank you all for that.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Excerpt of the MSDS. Probably mixed granulation, but it's black powder nonetheless (snatch it up, in a trade of course).

Attachments

• reenactorpwdr.jpg
    reenactorpwdr.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 102
Excerpt of the MSDS. Probably mixed granulation, but it's black powder nonetheless (snatch it up, in a trade of course).

We’ll see my friend ?

Thank you.

I will add though, that I’ll let everyone know of the outcome? Will also post pictures of what I find.

Again, appreciate everyone’s response’s.

Respectfully, Cowboy

If you contact jacks powder co. he will tell you that Jacks powder is not for rifles but for blanks and fireworks , even though it may work in rifles !

Latest posts

Back