• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reenactment Powder ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From Cody Wyoming, now lives in Oakwood Illinois
Have a friend whose father inlaw passed away last year.

His father inlaw was really big into Civil War re-enactments. I mean really big into it!

My friend came across 25 lb’s of 2f powder. He has very limited knowledge with anything to do with muzzleloading or any other kind of firearm’s for that matter? He’s a white collar sort of fellow. Works at a bank.

Anyway, he thought of me when he was going through his late father inlaw’s BP shooting stuff.

Now to the subject at hand? He called me and wanted to know if I’d be interested in buying the powder?

I haven’t layed eyes on it as of yet? My friend did tell me it was 2f so I’m assuming it’s in a marked container of some sort.

My question would be, how to tell the difference between re-enactment powder and regular shooting grade bp? Might even be marked on the container when I actually look at it I guess?

Is there any visual difference’s that might help in determining what he actually has?

Lastly, I‘m not familiar with reenactment grade powder. Don’t want it if that is what it is. I’m only guessing that it might be reenactment powder because of what my friends father inlaw was heavily into.

I’ll post pictures when I get a chance to glance at the container and powder there in.

Respectfully, Cowboy

2 f is just a slightly larger size powder so it is seived through a slightly larger screen. Generally you will use 3 f for .45 and 2 f for .50 and rifle.
These are generalisations.
As far as i am aware there is no re- enactment powder? It is what goes on top of the powder that is relevant for re- enactments!!

I’m well aware of BP and the various size’s there of my friend.

I also beg to differ that there is re-enactment powder. It definitely does exist. If my memory serves me correct, it doesn’t produce the same pressure as regular BP and is of a weaker grade.

Been shooting regular BP for quite some time.

My question was in regards to being able to visually tell the difference between regular and reenactment powder by visual inspection if that’s possible?

As soon as I see the container the powder is in, all my questions may be answered?

Lastly, there is a reenactment grade powder my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Well how about that, never heard of the stuff. I was under the impression that people just use the term but it is just lighter loads.
I would assume though if your friend says it is 2 f it is 2f, unless there is such a thing as 2 f re-enactment powder as well?

Edit...just had a nose round. I see it now, manure basically ungraded black powder. Good sales idea as blanks do not need any grade or consistency. Clever idea. Especially if you are loading a cannon!

Last edited:
This is what I do know my friend. It’s not lighter loads. Both regular BP and Reenactment BP is measured by volume the same. The key difference is the grade and pressure it produces.

There are quite a few members here that are heavily involved in re-enactments as well. I’m waiting for a few of them to chime in when they see this topic. They’ll be along shortly my friend.

We’ll both get an education then.

Respectfully, Cowboy

A quick google search shows all the major brands sell reenactor powder, but it is marked that way on the can.. Ask your friend for a picture of a can of the stuff.

A quick google search shows all the major brands sell reenactor powder, but it is marked that way on the can..

Yes, I googled it as well my friend. The late gentleman in question had been heavily involved in re-enactments for decades. Very good chance that the powder in question is very old and not in its original container? I don’t know but I’m also not gonna assume either?

Anyway, the purpose of this topic is to ask if there’s a way to visually identify the difference between the two?

Anyone can store bulk powder in empty powder containers my friend. Not only was the gentleman heavily involved in re-enactments but he was also a collector and sort of a pack rat. He even had a brass Napoleon Cannon that was used during the re-enactments he was involved in. Set in his front yard.

Lastly, if I have questionable doubt I will definitely pass on the offer to buy the powder. I already have plenty of powder. Just a possible opportunity to acquire more.

Respectfully, Cowboy

That is true. I won't buy used powder in an unsealed container. It isn't worth the peenies saved. A gun writer, I don't remember who, bought a can of used powder at a gun show. Blew up several high dollar guns before he discovered the powder he bought had the wrong powder put back in the can.

That is true. I won't buy used powder in an unsealed container. It isn't worth the peenies saved. A gun writer, I don't remember who, bought a can of used powder at a gun show. Blew up several high dollar guns before he discovered the powder he bought had the wrong powder put back in the can.

Wiser words couldn’t be spoken.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Here is some Reenactor Powder that I bought at Log Cabin Shop couple of years ago. Went there a month ago and they said they don't carry any longer. I shoot this in a small cannon that my dad made. Guessing around 2f.
powder 2.jpg
powder 1.jpgpowder 2.jpg

Here is some Reenactor Powder that I bought at Log Cabin Shop couple of years ago. Went there a month ago and they said they don't carry any longer. I shoot this in a small cannon that my dad made. Guessing around 2f.View attachment 44183View attachment 44182View attachment 44183

Thank you for sharing my friend.

Is there any chance you could poor a little out either in your hand or on a white sheet of paper to get a good look at the powder itself?

Respectfully, Cowboy

Thank you for posting the pictures my friend. Greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, I don’t think the pic of the powder is going to help me much.

I’m coming down to the conclusion to follow my instincts on this one. My gut feeling is to pass on buying the powder. Just don’t feel comfortable in doing so.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Understand Cowboy, the only "used" power I have is for unmentionables and it came from an estate sale of friend. He was a competitive shooter and kept impeccable records of where the powder was purchased, when purchased and wrote comments on each batch for accuracy. Quite a gentleman, stroke got him.
Best of luck to you.

I've never used it but if memory serves, it's allot dirtier than regular black.
Back in the day when I first started participating with our Civil war reenactment group, we came across some of that lower grade powder. I think we called it cannon powder. All I know is that it was a bit courser that FG and they didn't graphite coat it. It was $3.00/lb so I rolled it up in my paper cartridges and it shot just fine. It was a bit dirtier that regular, but either way you have to clean it. I say, if you got some and it either cheap or free, use it.

Cowboy: You probably already know this but others might not. It is illegal for a person to sell black powder unless they have a Federal Explosives license so, if you buy the powder from your friend, he could get into a heap of trouble with BTAFE.

That said, if anyone asks you how you got it, do not tell them you bought it from a friend. Tell them your friend gave it to you.

If telling folks a little fib like that goes against your grain, tell your friend why he can't sell it to you and then suggest that he could give the powder to you and you'd be willing to buy something like a used screw or a slightly bent nail he owns for exactly the same amount that you would have paid for something like 25 pounds of black powder. Yah. It's silly but doing it this way is totally legal and no one would have to fib about anything.

Now, old worry-wart Zonie will go back to moderating. :)

Stick with the good advice Zonie......
We don't need to give the 'tards any reason to point fingers, and as we all know - we do get trolls and spies in here all the time just chompin at the bit to get a good enough reason to try and shut us down.

Back