Reenacting With Hawken Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

cannonball1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A traditions st.louis hawken is my choice. A real style hawken is just too heavy for me.
The older I get the more I understand the weight issue, but nothing turns me off more than see a light weight short barrel TC Hawkens in a reenactment type of setting or a mountain man movie where the actors have a TC Hawken right out of the box.

Reaction score
Semi tongue-in-cheek I have considered promoting re-enacting the 1980's. All I would have to have is a Red Man hat, a woodland camp army jacket, a green metal Coleman cooler, and my choice of a CVA or Thompson Center Hawken. It would automatically be period correct! It would also take me back to that time when these great rifles were respected and admired instead of sneered at. Bonus points for a fringed possibles bag! I do love and miss those times.
To be 1980's period correct you must have a suede, Uncle Mike's possible bag....

Attachments

• Maine1980.jpg
    Maine1980.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 0

sturmkatze

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Of I renege right, Hawken rifles were really expensive then. Like in that the average Joe could not afford them.

As to the 1970's event, that would be a hoot. My brother Jim, jokes that's what he wants to do.

TFoley

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Semi tongue-in-cheek I have considered promoting re-enacting the 1980's. All I would have to have is a Red Man hat, a woodland camp army jacket, a green metal Coleman cooler, and my choice of a CVA or Thompson Center Hawken. It would automatically be period correct! It would also take me back to that time when these great rifles were respected and admired instead of sneered at. Bonus points for a fringed possibles bag! I do love and miss those times.

I was with my old buddy here in UK when he bought HIS TC Hawken rifle back in 1986. We'd made the hundred-mile trip together - each of us to collect a gun - me my first P-H Whitworth, and him his .45cal Hawken. He still shoots it, too. TC made guns that people appreciate, and to my mind, if that's what you bought especially, if, like us here in UK, the TC is the only game in town, then you get on with it. Nobody here sneers at his old gal, and she still speaks with great authority when shooting REAL bullets over 80gr of 2Fg.

Reaction score
Here I am aiming the original 1850's Hawken Rifle at the Hawken Classic in May of 2022.

View attachment 152994

Of course, we allowed a few of the 1980's reenactors to attend also.

View attachment 152995

Here I am aiming the original 1850's Hawken Rifle at the Hawken Classic in May of 2022.

View attachment 152994

Of course, we allowed a few of the 1980's reenactors to attend also.

View attachment 152995

They were welcome too.
That there fella in the sun glasses go bye the indian name of hole in two hands, just asking for a friend.

Reaction score
I can so relate to that. Thought I was the bees knees in that get up. Think that I've got some Tandy's kit/sew'um up yourself possible bags hanging in a closet.
Good Times! :cool:

Gabby52

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Some of you may have already read the book by Charles Hanson, "The Hawken Rifle, Its Place In History" 1979(?), if not, you really should. Mr. Hanson was, back then, an avid Hawken enthusiast and wanted to find out more about the history of the rifle and the Hawken family. Through his vast research he finally came to one conclusion- the Hawken rifle was not that popular and plentiful during the fur trade! There were more Hawkens sold and owned by Americans EAST of the Mississippi than west. To say every Mountaineer had a Hawken is like saying every Midwest deer hunter carries a Weatherby! Yes, they were VERY expensive, they generally had to be ordered from the Hawken shop just like you would order a custom rifle from a builder today. They were not "stock inventoried", and due to the "new fangled" percussion cap, just weren't excepted yet(1820-1834). Ashley's Hawken, back in the early 1820's was custom, unique, and experimental, not the norm. Sam didn't catch up to his brother in St. Louis until 1823. The Hawken Bros WERE important to the fur trade though from repairs to traps, gun parts, and anything that was forged. They also were popular with pistols, and shotguns for the fur trade, and eventually it was there barrels that made their rifle so famous down the road(1840-1860). FROM 1820-1840, ONLY 50 +/- DOCUMENTED HAWKEN RIFLES WENT TO THE FUR TRADE! Compare that with the contract trade rifles during the same period- Lancaster(American)Pattern- 2300, English Pattern -750, along with various Indian Trade rifles, and military rifles and rifles carried from home for these boys.
So basically- Hawken rifle, a wonderfully great firearm, just wrong time period.

Latest posts