• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Redemption

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Started heading out for another arvo hunt and realised a few minutes down the road that I'd forgotten my phone/camera. This just wouldn't do for my forum brethren if I qas on the money. Went home and grabbed it.

Got to the property and the wind was atrocious. I thought well I've already come this far so decided to hunt the semi open bush edge that has a little shelter. After maybe half a mile of walking and few roos out (good for hunting, bad for prospects of deer being out) I saw the gleaming coat of a red deer. Glassing confirmed it was a barren hind I'd seen a few times. Even so reds have taken a hit from govt cullers and heavy poaching pressure, so I didn't want to take her.

Moving further I spotted a fallow spike and decided he was just what I needed. I ranged him at about 180 yards, too far for me.so I started a slow and steady crawl with dog at heel. Closed the distance some and waited behind done rushes. The hind stepped out first and spotted the pooch, it was seconds before the gambit was up.

Fortunately, the spike stepped out at around 60 yards. I set the trigger, held low and boom! Took out his front shoulder at the spinal Junction and he was down where he stood.

It was a great skin, fallow come in four colour phases red (normal), black, white and menil. This being the last. I was going to skin him for a rug but forgot the steel and didn't want to walk half a mile to grab it so I just broke down the meat and took some photos.

Screenshot_20230121-215245_Gallery.jpg

20230121_203028.jpg

And christened the boucheron
20230121_204432.jpg

Congrats on the fallow. I’d take my dog hunting with me if he wasn’t such a hell raiser. I’d never see anything if he was with me!

I love hearing hunting stories from folks in other countries. Congrats on a great hunt. :thumb:

You stated: "After maybe half a mile of walking and few roos out (good for hunting, bad for prospects of deer being out)" So if I'm reading this right, Roos and deer like being out in the same conditions but Roos are good at seeing a hunter and spook taking the game with them?

I was fortunate to be able to spend three weeks in Australia about 20 years ago. What a beautiful country! Saw lots of Roos, and a Koala, but not much else, but then we didn't spend time out in woods where hunting takes place.

I love hearing hunting stories from folks in other countries. Congrats on a great hunt. :thumb:

You stated: "After maybe half a mile of walking and few roos out (good for hunting, bad for prospects of deer being out)" So if I'm reading this right, Roos and deer like being out in the same conditions but Roos are good at seeing a hunter and spook taking the game with them?

I was fortunate to be able to spend three weeks in Australia about 20 years ago. What a beautiful country! Saw lots of Roos, and a Koala, but not much else, but then we didn't spend time out in woods where hunting takes place.
There's probably 100-200 roos for every deer where i hunt. The ratio may be further off than that too. When they're out they bust a lot of stalks, when they're not it's usually for a reason e.g. wind. They tend to be less cautious than deer so if they're not about the odds of seeing deer are generally slim.

Where I am there's plenty of roos, wallabies and emus. Koalas are pretty rare, wombats even moreso and dingoes locally have been shot out for a long time.

Started heading out for another arvo hunt and realised a few minutes down the road that I'd forgotten my phone/camera. This just wouldn't do for my forum brethren if I qas on the money. Went home and grabbed it.

Got to the property and the wind was atrocious. I thought well I've already come this far so decided to hunt the semi open bush edge that has a little shelter. After maybe half a mile of walking and few roos out (good for hunting, bad for prospects of deer being out) I saw the gleaming coat of a red deer. Glassing confirmed it was a barren hind I'd seen a few times. Even so reds have taken a hit from govt cullers and heavy poaching pressure, so I didn't want to take her.

Moving further I spotted a fallow spike and decided he was just what I needed. I ranged him at about 180 yards, too far for me.so I started a slow and steady crawl with dog at heel. Closed the distance some and waited behind done rushes. The hind stepped out first and spotted the pooch, it was seconds before the gambit was up.

Fortunately, the spike stepped out at around 60 yards. I set the trigger, held low and boom! Took out his front shoulder at the spinal Junction and he was down where he stood.

It was a great skin, fallow come in four colour phases red (normal), black, white and menil. This being the last. I was going to skin him for a rug but forgot the steel and didn't want to walk half a mile to grab it so I just broke down the meat and took some photos.

View attachment 191928
View attachment 191929

View attachment 191930
Congratulations. Nice deer, nice knife...

View attachment 191928
View attachment 191929

View attachment 191930
That's a lovely colour on that deer, Mr Bushfire. Sounds like a great hunt too; congratulations on the outcome, and thanks for going back for the camera. Those kangaroos can mess up a stalk, can't they? Around where I hunt, the pretty face wallabies are the peskiest. They let you get real close in the cover, then thump one of their feet on the ground, as a warning sign to all its family members - lets out a hell of a racket. All game in the vicinity takes off as fast as the wallaby!

Given the grass and the vegetation, is that granite country?

Pete

That's a lovely colour on that deer, Mr Bushfire. Sounds like a great hunt too; congratulations on the outcome, and thanks for going back for the camera. Those kangaroos can mess up a stalk, can't they? Around where I hunt, the pretty face wallabies are the peskiest. They let you get real close in the cover, then thump one of their feet on the ground, as a warning sign to all its family members - lets out a hell of a racket. All game in the vicinity takes off as fast as the wallaby!

Given the grass and the vegetation, is that granite country?

Pete
What I love about hunting NZ is that if something ruins the stalk at least it's probably a deer, roos and wallabies are buggers. Emu's are the worst.

Nah it's very low fertility, low pH deep sands here. Grows silver grass and sorrel well, but not much else!

Thanks for sharing!! Nice deer! Dose the antler on the left side have a tine that hooks way down? Does Australia allow foreigners to come in and hunt on a regular basis?
Aaron

Thanks for sharing!! Nice deer! Dose the antler on the left side have a tine that hooks way down? Does Australia allow foreigners to come in and hunt on a regular basis?
Aaron
Nah its just a spike, that's velvet still hanging on. It's the beginning of velvet stripping her. Our hunting season is not long from kicking into gear.

Northern Australia gets lots of international hunters chasing buffalo and banteng. Less so down here. Internationals can hunt here, as someone going through the planning of a US trip I can te you hunting here is easier than hunting over there.you buy a deer license, and you're good to go.

Back