• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recreating a Flintlock Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killashrub

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have recently acquired a rifle. While it is a fine rifle I do not care for the stock. I am a no frills kind of guy and I prefer a rifle that looks aged and isn't flashy.

I am posting this thread asking who would you guys recommend me to send my rifle to. I want it to be restocked with simple brass or iron butt plate, trigger guard, side plate, nose cap, and ramrod pipes. Also I would want a replaceable flash hole and possibly new front and rear sight. I don't want fancy engraving or anything like that. Also I would like to replace the lock as well but it isn't required.

It is a 75 caliber rifle with a swamped barrel. The trigger is fine and wouldn't need to be replaced. It is a nice rifle but I would rather have it the way I want it.

Last edited:
That is a complete build and would cost accordingly. Sounds like you do not have a specific design in mind yet. I’d advise finding an example of a rifle you like to give any builder a sense of what you’re looking for. Are the barrel and lock top notch?

I want a .75 cal rifle. That was the reason I purchased it. It is kinda hard to find .75 cal rifles. At least in my searching.

I have recently acquired a rifle. While it is a fine rifle I do not care for the stock. I am a no frills kind of guy and I prefer a rifle that looks aged and isn't flashy.

I am posting this thread asking who would you guys recommend me to send my rifle to. I want it to be restocked with simple brass or iron butt plate, trigger guard, side plate, nose cap, and ramrod pipes. Also I would want a replaceable flash hole and possibly new front and rear sight. I don't want fancy engraving or anything like that. Also I would like to replace the lock as well but it isn't required.

It is a 75 caliber rifle with a swamped barrel. The trigger is fine and wouldn't need to be replaced. It is a nice rifle but I would rather have it the way I want it.
If it was designed after a particular style, restocking the rifle will adversely affects its value. Rifles made in the day WERE embellished in some way. Restocking & replacing parts will likely cost as much or more than your paid (I'd charge you a minimum of $1000-1500 plus the cost of parts/stock, as I'd be building an entirely NEW gun around your barrel & trigger).

Ultimately - Why bother? Just shoot it as is and if you don't like it, sell it to someone that will appreciate it. Remaking the gun in your vision just results in a fantasy piece....

Last edited:
I agree with the post suggesting selling it as is and buying something you want, or at least much closer so the revisions would be more reasonable. W/O seeing your rifle it kinda sounds like the guy telling the insurance adjuster his 78 Ford F-50 that rolled 15 times and went in the lake is not a total, "the steering wheel is just what I want, build me a truck around that". Get a new truck and use the steering wheel?

Was thinking that at the op. Your looking at a couple of thousand to stock an new furniture. Your cost could be covered by selling and getting a custom made barrel.

Why don't you just rebuild that really nice but not good enough flintlock yourself. No one else could ever provide you with a rifle that would satisfy you. Only you could satisfy you.
I read your other posts about the Brown Bess and it seems like your a guy who can drill a vent hole with a dremel tool, and shoot home made black powder, so you probably got the required skills.
You start a post, then make a reply. After that you don't seem to post anymore? I guess you don't need to, you can just sit back and read while all these guys keep offering advice. I guess they take you serious.

Shrub, it sounds like you should have ordered a custom rifle to begin with. As has been noted here, completely rebuilding the rifle will be more hassle and costly than building a new one from scratch, and I can assure you, most builders would rather start with a bag of new parts than rebuilding someone else's 'mistake'. Here's my advice, keep the gun you have, and spend your money on a drop dead gorgeous custom rifle that fits you to a T. Shoot both, and see which one you prefer to drag into the woods. You will then have a .75 cal. backup to loan a friend, or a wall hanger and a working gun. Or sell one and make another brother a happy camper!

Back