• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Recovered .570 Balls from Elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recieved a request to post photos of the two .570 balls I recovered from the Cow Elk I shot this year. Sorry it took me so long. Data is as follows.
1) One shot from about 50 yards, one from a little over 100 yards.
2) Original unfired ball weight (sample) 282.6 grs.
3) Recovered ball weights 282.6 and 280.4 grs.
4) Original diameter .570"
5) Maximum recovered diameters .763" and .748"

Happy Hunting! Idaho PRB

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

roundball said:
Good work...were those balls cast from 100% lead, wheelweights, etc?

I cast my balls with lead reclaimed from X-Ray labs. It's as close to 100% dead soft as your gonna get, I think.

Ya can't do that Idaho PRB, :shocked2: it takes a commical to kill a critter the size of Elk,your animal/animals probably had a stroke caused by the sharp report of the gunshot and acrid odor of the powder charge, or sucumbed to global warming.

tg said:
Ya can't do that Idaho PRB, :shocked2: it takes a commical to kill a critter the size of Elk,your animal/animals probably had a stroke caused by the sharp report of the gunshot and acrid odor of the powder charge, or sucumbed to global warming.

Better be careful TG...some don't get it when you make tongue-in-cheek comments...and lord knows we already have more global warming retoric than we need from al gore
:rotf:

Why, "carefull" is my middle name when engaging in these robust exchanges of historical fact, speculation,extrapulation of theory from wafer thin, unrelated to the topic data,we have a regular "system" here that has been able to maintain a major blackout of historical reality for many years, this is no easy task and credit should go where credit is due.

Idaho PRB said:
roundball said:

I cast my balls with lead reclaimed from X-Ray labs. It's as close to 100% dead soft as your gonna get, I think.

So you admit to shooting radioactive lead at elk? Is that so you can see the glow in the dark? :blah:

gmww said:
Idaho PRB said:
roundball said:

So you admit to shooting radioactive lead at elk? Is that so you can see the glow in the dark? :blah:

Whats wrong with Traditional tracers? :haha:

tg said:
Why, "carefull" is my middle name when engaging in these robust exchanges of historical fact, speculation,extrapulation of theory from wafer thin, unrelated to the topic data,we have a regular "system" here that has been able to maintain a major blackout of historical reality for many years, this is no easy task and credit should go where credit is due.

Man I need to be weened off my med's soon. :rotf:

Idaho PRB said:
I recieved a request to post photos of the two .570 balls I recovered from the Cow Elk I shot this year. Sorry it took me so long. Data is as follows.
1) One shot from about 50 yards, one from a little over 100 yards.
2) Original unfired ball weight (sample) 282.6 grs.
3) Recovered ball weights 282.6 and 280.4 grs.
4) Original diameter .570"
5) Maximum recovered diameters .763" and .748"

Happy Hunting! Idaho PRB

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

Anyways, good to see this. The .58 is my main deer gun, although smaller and I spect your driven those balls a bit harder than me, it still whalops em good. :thumbsup:

Swampy said:
gmww said:
Idaho PRB said:
roundball said:

Whats wrong with Traditional tracers? :haha:

AH-HA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We're finally getting to the bottom of the strange lights in those western states all around Area 51 !!!!!!!

Idaho PRB: Thank you for posting the pictures. These are worth a 1,000 words, and best illustrate why going to a larger CALIBER rifle to hunt bigger game is a better idea, than using Conicals.

I am impressed with the expansion shown. How many, and which bones were hit on this Cow Elk? How old was she? ( Bones get harder with age.)

Thanks, again. :thumbsup:

Well your finding sure shoots down the theory I've been reading about leaving lead in the body to poison you while eating. If your bullets are the same weight after use where could any lead be lost? good shooting;. Len

Len Graves said:
Well your finding sure shoots down the theory I've been reading about leaving lead in the body to poison you while eating.
Len, there are so many armchair theorists spouting out mis-information its incredible...don't have a clue what they're talking about...saw it or heard it somewhere else and just repeat it

roundball said:
...don't have a clue what they're talking about...saw it or heard it somewhere else and just repeat it
You're mistaken, RB... Liberals are bastions of truth and fact, to quote my mother (who makes Obama look like a Regan activist), "My [Liberal] mind just can't even comprehend a lie; it just won't function!"

I told her, "Wow, I think I finally understand Liberals now, thanks!" and walked right off. :youcrazy:

"Happy Hunting! Idaho PRB"

And to you as well, it is good to see a traditional hunter, using traditional gear in the western states, my hats off to you and I admire your approach to ML hunting, you have it figured out pretty well it appears, keep it up, maybe more will follow when they see what can be done with traditional gear.

Latest posts

Back