• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Record cap price

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off, I do not live in the U.S.A so our laws are different. Powder I make myself and it is equivalent to Goex as have tested over a Crony. Set up cost was about $35 I use a homemade ball mill and some kitchen utensils. Powder costs about $1us a kilo to make. Percussion caps I probably bought the last box in the country at $20 a tin,,, that was eye watering.
In general I don`t use commercial percussion caps but prefer to use the toy plastic ones. They work well but I tend to tinker with them first to get consistent ignition. I remove the white insert from the cap with a pin and sprinkle a small amount of black powder into the cap till it's about half full, then give the caps a good spray with hair spray and let dry. Firearm ignition is very close to 100% I don`t actually remember a fail to fire on a toy cap that a commercial cap when then fired set the rifle off. Unfortunately even toy caps are beginning to be difficult to find here, but I have a good stock so not too worried.

I always toyed with the idea of reloading, but never drilled down and studied enough, never had the patience to set up and do it! You deserve kudoes. I knew a guy who made 9mm ammo reloads indistinguishable (spell that word without thinking!) from factory.
With YouTube now there are tons of videos that walk a beginner through the process. I love reloading, it’s fun and very relaxing. Pays off when you go to the range and shoot for a tiny fraction of the cost of factory ammo. Give it a try, get a starter set from Midway and you’ll never look back.

Last edited:
How much did you have to pay for all the do-dads necessary to make your own?
Well let me see, HF rock tumbler was 67.00 $, scrap wood to make sizing screens 0$. The screens bought off of Amazon 40$ about. I already own a hydraulic 20 ton press so 0$. à lot of other things can be used to compress it. A floor jack and a heavy truck would work. The most expensive thing was the puck I bought to put the powder in to press it. About 150$ I guess. Alot of other things can be used as a puck but i chose to buy one. So for about 250$ I break even on one BP mail order. And I can make an unlimited amount. I hope this helps.

Well let me see, HF rock tumbler was 67.00 $, scrap wood to make sizing screens 0$. The screens bought off of Amazon 40$ about. I already own a hydraulic 20 ton press so 0$. à lot of other things can be used to compress it. A floor jack and a heavy truck would work. The most expensive thing was the puck I bought to put the powder in to press it. About 150$ I guess. Alot of other things can be used as a puck but i chose to buy one. So for about 250$ I break even on one BP mail order. And I can make an unlimited amount. I hope this helps.
Good old Cajun ingenuity!

View attachment 170574I took my wife to the doctor 65 miles from here. There is a very large sporting goods store there so I stopped in on the way home to see if they had caps and powder. I asked the guy at the front and he said that they had caps but no powder because nobody buys that stuff anymore since they started letting you use a 45-70. They had caps alright, $11.99 a tin! Since I was very low on them I went on and bought 2 tins. It was either that or order some and pay hazmat fees or drive back home then head north 75 miles into the war zone that is Memphis Tn. No more than I get to shoot 200 caps will last a good while.
12 cents a shot not including tax, d@#%!

Stock up if you find decent powder. Fowlers especially, gulp powder. I went to my 1851
Navy for revolver fun at range--to save powder. I would not underestimate the quality
of powder homebrewers can produce. Just keep stocking up where available. Realize that,
if you shoot much, the time may well come when you will be forced to make your own if
you want real Black. Do not trust big business to do the right thing; they are beholding to
this new ESG which downgrades the shooting sports--they will act against muzzleloaders.

I went by Cabelas a couple of weeks back and got a pound of Pyrodex RS, $30. I then ordered 2 lbs. of IMR 3031 for my 45-70 from Powder Valley. $49 / lb. $138 total. The last time I bought it 2 years ago it was $23/lb. They don’t need to enact anymore laws, we’re being priced out of the sport!😡🤬

I have seen caps in a few stores recently and they were $12 to $18 per 100. The prices of them on GunBroker seem to be going back up also.

I just bought a pound of 3031 for $67.95! I am fortunate though, because hardly anyone shoots BP in Hawaii there are still a lot of caps both #11's and Musket for under $10.00@ tin. Although I still have about 4K RWS caps stashed away and about 80 French Amber flints for my rocklocks.

Gonna have to learn the art of BP and Ignition creation because they want it all to go bye, bye. YT is a great place to learn but eventually that will go away too, so better get busy!

"We do what we must"

When shop was still operating we bought "bricks" of Italian caps for like $4/brick with 10-12 tins of 100 in each. Still have $2 powder as well. It is absurd and scary to see what has happened.

Back