Record cap price

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Tasbay

40 Cal
Reaction score
First off, I do not live in the U.S.A so our laws are different. Powder I make myself and it is equivalent to Goex as have tested over a Crony. Set up cost was about $35 I use a homemade ball mill and some kitchen utensils. Powder costs about $1us a kilo to make. Percussion caps I probably bought the last box in the country at $20 a tin,,, that was eye watering.
In general I don`t use commercial percussion caps but prefer to use the toy plastic ones. They work well but I tend to tinker with them first to get consistent ignition. I remove the white insert from the cap with a pin and sprinkle a small amount of black powder into the cap till it's about half full, then give the caps a good spray with hair spray and let dry. Firearm ignition is very close to 100% I don`t actually remember a fail to fire on a toy cap that a commercial cap when then fired set the rifle off. Unfortunately even toy caps are beginning to be difficult to find here, but I have a good stock so not too worried.

ernbar

40 Cal
Reaction score
I always toyed with the idea of reloading, but never drilled down and studied enough, never had the patience to set up and do it! You deserve kudoes. I knew a guy who made 9mm ammo reloads indistinguishable (spell that word without thinking!) from factory.
With YouTube now there are tons of videos that walk a beginner through the process. I love reloading, it’s fun and very relaxing. Pays off when you go to the range and shoot for a tiny fraction of the cost of factory ammo. Give it a try, get a starter set from Midway and you’ll never look back.

Last edited:
Reaction score
How much did you have to pay for all the do-dads necessary to make your own?
Well let me see, HF rock tumbler was 67.00 $, scrap wood to make sizing screens 0$. The screens bought off of Amazon 40$ about. I already own a hydraulic 20 ton press so 0$. à lot of other things can be used to compress it. A floor jack and a heavy truck would work. The most expensive thing was the puck I bought to put the powder in to press it. About 150$ I guess. Alot of other things can be used as a puck but i chose to buy one. So for about 250$ I break even on one BP mail order. And I can make an unlimited amount. I hope this helps.

TDM

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Well let me see, HF rock tumbler was 67.00 $, scrap wood to make sizing screens 0$. The screens bought off of Amazon 40$ about. I already own a hydraulic 20 ton press so 0$. à lot of other things can be used to compress it. A floor jack and a heavy truck would work. The most expensive thing was the puck I bought to put the powder in to press it. About 150$ I guess. Alot of other things can be used as a puck but i chose to buy one. So for about 250$ I break even on one BP mail order. And I can make an unlimited amount. I hope this helps.
Good old Cajun ingenuity!